voidisyinyang

How to Live to 101

I found this old info also relevant to the topic:

1. "...In another temple on Huashan I had a long talk with a Taoist nun, Liang Gui Zhi. Like the monks, she wore pants, and her face had the same happy warm glow that comes from living a simple life and cultivating a radiant inner smile. She was shy at first, but after we shared a couple of cups of tea together she began to talk. "The oldest living Taoist on Hua Shan today is a woman, the 70 year old Chao Xiang Chen", she said. "She has lived here continuously for 50 years, except for during the cultural revolution when the communists forced her to leave. Now she lives in seclusion, in a remote valley that takes 4 hours to walk to. She is a great and wise teacher to all the young taoists."

2. "...At the Eight Immortals Temple in Xian, a fabulously well preserved Tang Dynasty complex that has been continuously operating for 1400 years, I found similar stories, and another 50 monks and nuns. Huang Shizen ("He who walks on Air") is only 26 years old, another of the breed of young Taoist leader. He is well educated, speaks English, and travels to other Taoist temples to attend ceremonies and keep harmony between temples in different provinces. He had also just opened his own small taoist temple in another part of Xian.

I ask Huang if he has strict dietary and sexual rules to follow as a monk. He winces, and says with a sigh, "I get tired of people asking me if I eat meat or have sex. In fact, most of the monks are vegetarian and celibate. But that is irrelevant to spiritual attainment. The Tao is about spiritual freedom. More important to remember that, not religious rules of behavior."

Quoted from: http://www.healingtaousa.com/huashan.html

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Guest paul walter

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/how-to-live-to-101/

Okinawa, Sardinia, 7th Day Adventists, while Glasgow is near the bottom....

fascinating film. Genetics, diet, lifestyle, stress, etc.

Yes, this one is one of the "proofs" about the vego orientation of diet and longevity that never gets voiced here (gets pulverised actually). Same in China--the village (can't remember the name!!) that has the highest number of centenarians has all of them as vegos. Of course they do tai chi and have community, mild physical labour etc. Of course the Sardinians don't count cause of their 'faulty' enzymes and inbred 'problems' :lol:;) .

John Robbins wrote a book 'Healthy at 100' that goes into all this stuff in the doco and more. Saw one of those "a week in.." sorts of shows last night--it's a food series. Last week they did England/London during the Blitz--a time meat and animal fats/products was quite rare. There are famous and oft-quoted stats on the dramatically improved health of the English in general during the war years cause of the primarily vego/high fibre etc diet they were forced to eat. They did 16Th C England this time and ate only foods commonly eaten on a daily basis. Might explain a lot about the English and their history :wacko::o After a few days on the diet (HEAVY meat,animal stuff, no water cause London water was undrinkable back then-probably still is... they drank ale instead!!) our two heroes were feeling very ill. The third day they had food from vegetarian recipes put together by John Evelyn into a cookbook--he created it in response to being convinced (not hard to believe if you see the show!)that his wife had died from the standard English diet. Plus ca change....

Edited by paul walter

I ask Huang if he has strict dietary and sexual rules to follow as a monk. He winces, and says with a sigh, "I get tired of people asking me if I eat meat or have sex. In fact, most of the monks are vegetarian and celibate. But that is irrelevant to spiritual attainment. The Tao is about spiritual freedom. More important to remember that, not religious rules of behavior." [/i]

Nicely said. :)

Not interested in living to 101. Not at all. In my work I encounter lots of people in their 90's, and into their 100's, vast majority of them wonder "Why am I still here?", and feel like it's time to go.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

i learned a couple of thing from this video.

1. Only eat till your 80% full.

2. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

3. Stay active

4. Stress kills you, so don't worry about stuff.

i learned a couple of thing from this video.

1. Only eat till your 80% full.

2. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

3. Stay active

4. Stress kills you, so don't worry about stuff.

If you eat till only 80% full will a normal person get very skinny or just not fat? I read an article about proponents of a calory restriction diet and they were all very, very skinny. I don`t want to end up like that. NAyway, the 80% full thing feels sort of right for me when I try it.

I ask Huang if he has strict dietary and sexual rules to follow as a monk. He winces, and says with a sigh, "I get tired of people asking me if I eat meat or have sex. In fact, most of the monks are vegetarian and celibate. But that is irrelevant to spiritual attainment. The Tao is about spiritual freedom. More important to remember that, not religious rules of behavior." [/i]

But if they are "irrelevant," then why are most of them vegetarian & celibate?

Just for the h*ll of it? :rolleyes:

twoyoungtaoists_t.jpgtaoistontree_t.jpg

He pointed up high above the cave, at some Chinese characters carved into the sheer cliff wall. "Nobody can figure out he got up there to write that poem. Even climbers say with modern equipment they can't reach that spot because of an overhang. How did he chisel that poem 700 years ago from solid rock? The government has a 10,000 yuan reward for anyone who can solve this mystery. I don't know, maybe he was a Tao Immortal, and flew up there."
Anyone got a pic of this? Fascinating! B)

BTW, longevity is far more impressive than most people realize. It's probably somewhat akin to making a collegiate sports team or something...

there's approximately just one centenarian per 6,000 in the population of developed countries such as the United States; in 2010, there are about 80,000 in the U.S. There's only one "supercentenarian" -- someone over age 110 -- in every 7 million people
1 OUT OF 6000! Edited by vortex

My Great Grandma is 102,no medication,smoked for 40 years and likes fried chicken and pimento cheese on Wonder Bread

If you eat till only 80% full will a normal person get very skinny or just not fat? I read an article about proponents of a calory restriction diet and they were all very, very skinny. I don`t want to end up like that. NAyway, the 80% full thing feels sort of right for me when I try it.

-If you're overall caloric intake is adequate then you can maintain or even gain weight. So you can eat 80 percent and have 5,6,or 7 meals a day still maintain your preferred body mass.

-I believe what the video is referring to is the amount of stress put on the stomach by eating 100% of one's capabilities (in one meal) creates an imbalance in the body and thus lessons ones overall health.

Maybe because it is cheaper to be vegetarian, I doubt monks have much money, and a lack of female companionship. Just a thought. B)

Those ARE irrelevant. It's ridiculous to think a person can't reach his/her spiritual goals because they eat meat and have sex. In some cases, attaching one's self to the idea of celibacy and vegetarianism causes more rigidity and misunderstanding than would critically and deeply thinking about one's lifestyle and diet, which in many cases would lead to a decision of a balanced omnivorous diet and a moderated sex life.

Spiritual attainment is more a physical game than it is the action of unprovable metaphysical "laws".

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

-If you're overall caloric intake is adequate then you can maintain or even gain weight. So you can eat 80 percent and have 5,6,or 7 meals a day still maintain your preferred body mass.

-I believe what the video is referring to is the amount of stress put on the stomach by eating 100% of one's capabilities (in one meal) creates an imbalance in the body and thus lessons ones overall health.

I'm interested in this. It makes sense that eating to full capacity would stress the stomach organ and it's tissues, but how does that create an imbalance? and what do you mean by the word "imbalance" in regards to health?

Guest paul walter

Not interested in living to 101. Not at all. In my work I encounter lots of people in their 90's, and into their 100's, vast majority of them wonder "Why am I still here?", and feel like it's time to go.

I take it that's because you, like them, have no real function in your own life and no "meaning" with which to harness that function. Paul.

Guest paul walter

If you eat till only 80% full will a normal person get very skinny or just not fat? I read an article about proponents of a calory restriction diet and they were all very, very skinny.

Then read another article that doesn't say that if that's what you need --it's as easy as that ;) . Paul

Edited by paul walter

Guest paul walter

I'm interested in this. It makes sense that eating to full capacity would stress the stomach organ and it's tissues, but how does that create an imbalance? and what do you mean by the word "imbalance" in regards to health?

Remember the stomach is the second of three brain centres in the body (it has lots of neurons in it and connections to neuronal activity all throughout the body) Overeating (til over 70% full) sends one stright to the head/upper brain psychologically speaking and creates all sorts of other non-digestive reactions. Simple digestive function is what you're aiming for sfter you eat.

Guest paul walter

Those ARE irrelevant. It's ridiculous to think a person can't reach his/her spiritual goals because they eat meat and have sex. In some cases, attaching one's self to the idea of celibacy and vegetarianism causes more rigidity and misunderstanding than would critically and deeply thinking about one's lifestyle and diet, which in many cases would lead to a decision of a balanced omnivorous diet and a moderated sex life.

Spiritual attainment is more a physical game than it is the action of unprovable metaphysical "laws".

I think you need to redefine your ideas regards what is "physical" and what is "metaphysical" --they are the same thing. BTW I don't disagree with your conclusions totally. Paul

I'm not a scientist, so i couldn't really explain it. However, i know that moderation in everything is always good policy in all areas of life.

-Eating till your stuffed is an example of unnecessary and inefficient excess and leaves you feeling bloated.

-While if you eat a moderate amount of food you digest quicker and don't feel bloated.(I've noticed this from my own person observations).

Edited by Tao Apprentice

I remember an interview a journalist had with the Dalai Lama. He asked him what the key to health was, and the Dalai Lama simply answered "routine". If you can develop healthy habits, that's half the battle. I think the key is not to live to 135, but if you can live to be 90 and are independent for most of those years, then that's a good thing. We are creatures of habit, and bad habits will do us in if we let them.

Not sure if this is inn the film but there are studies on monkeys (and mice also I think) regarding this diet and so far the animals on restricted diets are WAY healthier and live longer.

Edited by markern

I remember an interview a journalist had with the Dalai Lama. He asked him what the key to health was, and the Dalai Lama simply answered "routine". If you can develop healthy habits, that's half the battle. I think the key is not to live to 135, but if you can live to be 90 and are independent for most of those years, then that's a good thing. We are creatures of habit, and bad habits will do us in if we let them.

So true, "Repitition creates habits, habits create destiny." Socrates

If legit, this woman would be record-breaking in the modern documented world today:

Antisa 'the oldest person on Earth' turns 130 today (and she doesn't look a day over 110)

Authorities in the former Soviet republic of Georgia claim a woman from a remote mountain village turned 130 today, making her the oldest person on Earth.

Antisa Khvichava from western Georgia was born on July 8, 1880, said Georgiy Meurnishvili, spokesman for the civil registry at the Justice Ministry.

The woman, who lives with her 40-year-old grandson in an idyllic vine-covered country house in the mountains, retired from her job as a tea and corn picker in 1965, when she was 85, records say.

article-0-0A5EAD89000005DC-638_468x317.jpg

'I've always been healthy, and I've worked all my life - at home and at the farm,' Antisa said, in a bright dress and headscarf - and red lipstick.

Sitting in the chair and holding her cane, Antisa spoke quietly through an interpreter - since she never went to school to learn Georgian and speaks only the local language, Mingrelian.

Her age couldn't immediately be independently verified. Her birth certificate was lost - one of the great number to have disappeared in the past century amid revolutions and a civil war which followed the collapse of the USSR.

article-0-0A5EA601000005DC-554_224x361.jpgarticle-0-0A5E014B000005DC-916_224x361.jpg

But Meurnishvili showed two Soviet-era documents that he says attest to her age.

Scores of officials, neighbors, friends, and descendants backed up her claim as the world's top senior.

The Gerontology Research Group currently recognizes 114-year-old Eugenie Blanchard of Saint Barthelemy, France, as the world's oldest person. Antisa would make Eugenie look like a spring chicken - but the research group is yet to examine Antisa's claim.

She has a son, 10 grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren and six great, great grandchidren.

Her 70-year-old son Mikhail, who was also at the party, apparently was born when his mother was 60.

She said she also had two children from a previous marriage, but says they died of hunger during World War II.

Mikhail said that, although his mother had difficulty walking and had stayed largely in bed during the past seven years, she made a point of hobbling unaided to the outhouse on the other side of the yard, because she hates to be a nuisance.

Though her body has all but quit on her - her fingers cramped by age mean she can no longer maintain her love of knitting - relatives say her mind remains sharp.

'Grandma has a very clear mind and she hasn't lost an ability to think rationally,' said Khvichava's granddaughter Shorena, who lives in a nearby village.

To mark Antisa's birthday, a string ensemble played folk music out on the lawn, while grandchildren offered traditional Mingrelian dishes like corn porridge and spiced chicken with herbs to all guests as the party.

If legit, this woman would be record-breaking in the modern documented world today:

Ah that's awesome.

Notice that her LOVE is KNITTING -- and so she had her mind focused on her lower tan tien -- where her knitting was -- and therefore she was recycling her chi brain energy back into her electrochemical lower body energy... what I call the "Yan Xin Secret"

Ah that's awesome.

Notice that her LOVE is KNITTING -- and so she had her mind focused on her lower tan tien -- where her knitting was -- and therefore she was recycling her chi brain energy back into her electrochemical lower body energy... what I call the "Yan Xin Secret"

That or she has something to wake up to every day