Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Inland Vs Coastal

Good topic.

Just a weird thought but has anyone noticed differences between the feel of different locations.

Even within locations there are huge differences.

I know most do, and of course even in one area different spots can feel good or bad (for want of a better term)

That's called Feng Shui. Try walking near Mt Kailash as opposed to a tin factory and you know what I mean :)

Im usually a costal person, mostly travelling along the coast or near a beach. But Ive been doing a few inland trips and the vast emptiness just feels different. Perhaps thats what creates the laidback and relaxed style people associate with being in the bush Perhaps its just from not being surrounded by so many people.

I actually grew up in the outback (sort of) so I have a childhood aversion to dust and heat :lol: but its winter at the moment and everything is looking rather pretty, and also quite cold when it isnt midday :)

Water energy is suited to people born in metal and wood years as they are naturally attracted to them.

I am guessing you were born in either of those years, right?

I on the other hand am attracted to earth and wood energies, hence love forests and mountains. definitively cold and rain are no good for me (fire horse, fire + fire). Too Yin which controls Fire energy. So coastal areas are not my fave ones after I spend the whole day near them, I become quite irritable.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Even within locations there are huge differences.

Yes, the linkage with Feng Shui is quite to the point. Also, one of the concepts of Chinese (I Ching) Astrology is that different people are born in different places, because their birth chart depends on the location on Earth.

In my youth, my time was largely split between Miami & the NC mountains (near Grandfather Mountain), with two-month-long summer vacations being spent in the mountains (Mom's family were all educators) and the rest of the year in South Florida. I enjoyed the Everglades & the coast but I was really drawn to the temperate rainforest of the Southern highlands. When I was 14, we moved to the mountains and I was in heaven! 18 years later, wife, son & I moved to the NC coast. After about 13 years, I have found my way back to the mountains again.

Beaches are nice, cities are OK to visit (briefly), but I'll take the damp, cool mountains, please... :)

My goodness, a TaoBum from Western NC?!?

Our little neck of the woods (Southern Appalachia) is paradise. Not for all - my sister from Illinois can't stand being "surrounded" by our mountains when she visits, but I love it. Ain't never going back to flatland. I still manage to let my breathe get taken away gazing off into the wilds....

To each their own. I'd strongly suggest to anyone who doesn't like where they live to do whatever it takes to move somewhere else. I know, easier said than done. For many years I lived a complicated life in complicated places. I only recently found happiness through switching careers and living in a rural setting.

But, what do I know; most city-folk can't stand the "not noisy", "uncrowded", "nothing to do" of our little corner of heaven. Suits me fine.

A seeker - I'm in Franklin.

Hi Art, I wondered what life would be like outside the city as I crossed a noisy boulevard this morning. :lol: Mountains sound nice. Do you have lakes nearby? I'd love a less inhabited location near water.

TVA reservoirs like Lake Chatuge, Lake Santeela, Lake Fontana, Lake Glenville. All smaller lakes and mostly "sport-use", i.e., no "Party Heat" like on TV.

The lakes are nice and I also enjoy the countless streams/rivers.

Ran across this piece of property yesterday - you can't find a better deal anywhere

http://www.mountainwayrealty.com/Robbinsville-Landa-Squally.htm

Of course, with all of the National Forest land, there is no need to be greedy and "have your own". Its rather easy to live in a small town like Franklin and be just minutes away from it all. :)

It took a long time for me to understand that most of them really meant that they couldn't spend time alone with their own thoughts. Now comments like that usually just amuse me...

Maybe its just me and the fact that I grew up a younger, third child ("alone"), but I actively seek time for myself. One could even say that I am introverted and selfish.

As for your comment, I observe this ALOT about the younger generation. With all their gadgets, internet, and TV. Not like I'm one to talk, but I actively seek opportunities for quietude whereas it appears they actively avoid it.

Perhaps I was that way too when I was younger....

Not one to hijack a thread, I will step aside unless specifically asked about something in our location....

Sign in to follow this