Sunya

If you like to drink good tea...

Guys,

I recently got hired at Adagio Teas. For some strange reason, they somehow thought my philosophizing skills would be be beneficial to them :lol: I drink their teas all day and I must say, it's quality stuff. I'd be happy to give a special discount to whoever wants in, just for being a regular Bum. A 10$ gift certificate will get you some wonderful tea to try :) Let me know.

Also, if you'd like recommendations.. tell me what you like. The oolongs are my favorite :D

Edited by mikaelz

Congratulations Mikael, good to see your skills appreciated. What do you need for the discount? I'll PM you my email or address?

Michael

Congratulations Mikael, good to see your skills appreciated. What do you need for the discount? I'll PM you my email or address?

Michael

Yep, just PM me your email

For some strange reason, they somehow thought my philosophizing skills would be be beneficial to them :lol:

Like a sentence from a fairy tale. Fascinating experience, I guess. A lucky guy you are.

I think the reason is that Australia has tough regulations on the import of tea. Am I wrong?

Good point. We do have bizarre regulations, something about loose leaf tea / plant material. Every package of tea I buy gets ripped open by customs. They put special tape and pamphlets in the box :lol:

Fortunately then seem happy to leave the foil sealed pouches of tea unopened and just forward them to me. Dose seem strange to go to all that trouble but then not open the foil packages, could be anything in there :D

mikaelz,

Congratulations for that. I would like to say that adagio teas offer an excellent discussion forum, TeaChat, where many knowleadgeable folks discuss stuff about tea and tea ware.

Good point. We do have bizarre regulations, something about loose leaf tea / plant material. Every package of tea I buy gets ripped open by customs. They put special tape and pamphlets in the box...

Well, I hope they don't mess up with expensive long jing stuff and upset the spirit of the leaves. :angry:

So what do they exactly do to tea orders as I will be buying my greens from overseas suppliers from now on? Thanks.

I think this is the regulation http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8008657&intCommodityId=15146&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

Basically I've been fine, I note "6. Random inspections will be carried out to verify the consignment is free of quarantine risk material" and all my shipments get opened (Enjoying Tea - USA and Amazing Green Tea - China) but they only open the shipping box, not the sealed foil packages with the leaves.

I don't buy blends, just straight tea and there is a site with

What will AQIS remove from international mail

"tea containing seeds, fruit skin (for example citrus and apple peel) and fruit pieces"

but my 8 tea sampler that had a fruit tea in it got inspected, not opened, and sent on o.k.

But I totally sympathize with your worry. With $100 of high end tea you don't want someone knifing open a bag to see what is inside and wrecking the vacuum seal <_<

Thanks for the info. Before I place an order, I will let the supplier now about the tough nature of Australian Customs so they can put a note on it saying please handle with care due to the fragile and expensive nature of certain Chinese teas.

Thanks for the info. Before I place an order, I will let the supplier now about the tough nature of Australian Customs so they can put a note on it saying please handle with care due to the fragile and expensive nature of certain Chinese teas.

That should make them more suspicious as the look for drugs :lol:

White Tea from Fujian

Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tea

220px-Bai_Hao_Yin_Zhen_tea_leaf_%28Fuding%29.jpg

A 2009 Kingston University study showed that white tea had high anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-collagenase, and anti-elastase properties which could potentially reduce the risks of developing rheumatoid arthritis, some cancers, heart disease & slow the enzymatic break down of elastin and collagen (ie wrinkles or sagging) which accompany aging.

A study at Pace University in 2004 showed white tea had more anti-viral and anti-bacterial qualities than green tea.

White tea contains similar concentrations of catechins to green tea, although the concentration of specific oxidation products differs slightly due to its lack of processing. Furthermore, one study examining the composition of brewed green and white teas found that white tea contained more gallic acid and theobromine. As white tea is made out of young leaves and buds, it has more of amino acid theanine (has relaxing and mood enhancing properties) than green and black teas which are made from older leaves.

Caffeine content of green and white teas are similar, though both depend on factors such as the variety of tea, the cut and length of the leaf, and the method of steeping.

White tea is thought to contain less fluoride than green tea, since it is made from young leaves only, but both white and green teas use young leaves, and bai mu dan white tea uses the more mature leaves as well.

Brewing

Generally, around 2 to 2.5 grams of tea per 200 ml (6 ounces) of water, or about 1.5 teaspoons of white tea per cup, should be used. White teas should be prepared with 80°C (180°F) water (not boiling) and steeped for 2 to 3 minutes. Many tea graders, however, choose to brew this tea for much longer, as long as 10 minutes on the first infusion, to allow the delicate aromas to develop. Finer teas expose more flavor and complexity with no bitterness. Lower grade teas do not always stand this test well and develop bitter flavors or tannins. On successive brews (white teas produce three very good brews and a fourth that is passable), extend the time by several minutes per brewing. The third brew may require as long as 15 minutes to develop well. Temperature is crucial: if it is too hot, the brew will be bitter and the finer flavors will be overpowered.

My master recommends drinking slightly warm, not hot, white or green tea immediately following chi practices.

My current green tea selection contains a bit of papaya leaf.

From the Australian tea company...Madura.

Madura Tea Estates

Murwillumbah NSW 2484

Australia

Phone (02) 6677 7215

Edited by metal dog

Hey Mikael...

Congratulations on the job! ;) And best of luck with it! :)

Found a nice tea shop in Dublin, and thought this would be an apt spot to share the info:

http://www.houseoftea.ie/

.. double post (again..sigh :( ) ...

Edited by CowTao