Sign in to follow this  
Sloppy Zhang

I don't know anything

So when I was just starting out on this path and I didn't know much, I didn't have a problem with accepting things like, there might not be a universal truth, you should try to remain a student and learn from everything, look at things with a fresh mind (the humility of a child, one might say).

However, as I practice more, live more, and accumulate a variety of experiences, I can't hep but think that I might know certain things. I might say to myself, "well this might not work for everyone", but maybe some part of me is still thinking, "I'm right and they're wrong, they just don't see my side yet!"

So when I started, and looked out at religious debates, philosophical debates, things like that, I thought they were all silly. I thought it'd be so great if everyone would return to being a beginner. But as I gain my own experience I realize that each of these people arguing certain things have reasons to believe whatever it is they are saying. I have my own experiences which back up what I say and think, as I'm sure others do.

I'd like to keep the fresh mind that I started with. I don't know anything. Not get involved in any arguments or judgments because, what do I know? A whole lot of nothing. But.... I do know stuff, and that stuff has been validated by practice.

I used to look at people involved in crazy confrontations, and think, "wow, they really lost sight of the path, they get all caught up in stuff..." I used to look at teachers who thought they had all the answers, and I thought, "wow, I don't think I'll ever become that arrogant!" But as my experience grows, I see how I CAN become that arrogant further down my line. And why wouldn't I be? As a more experienced person, I'd have dozens, hundreds, thousands, of experiences which back up what I'm saying. And who dares question me? Some dude who took an intro yoga class and think he knows what I should be teaching????

So where does this leave us? What do you guys think about this? How can you simultaneously have a fresh, open mind, while at the same time make progress in whatever it is you do, and accumulate experiences which validate those methods?

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

You cannot "know", for knowledge is fixed in time, static, unmoving.

It does not exist outside of the delusional illusions of the intellectual mind. to "know" is not necessarily truth, but a fragment based on truth.

Knowing is fluid and constantly changing. Knowing is not affixed or static, it is constantly changing.

If you think you know something, you stop knowing it. It becomes a static object. a memory.

If you think that you cannot know anything, you will always look to life in pursuit if learning, knowing, and experiencing anew, as though with the humility of a child.

So when I was just starting out on this path and I didn't know much, I didn't have a problem with accepting things like, there might not be a universal truth, you should try to remain a student and learn from everything, look at things with a fresh mind (the humility of a child, one might say).

However, as I practice more, live more, and accumulate a variety of experiences, I can't hep but think that I might know certain things. I might say to myself, "well this might not work for everyone", but maybe some part of me is still thinking, "I'm right and they're wrong, they just don't see my side yet!"

So when I started, and looked out at religious debates, philosophical debates, things like that, I thought they were all silly. I thought it'd be so great if everyone would return to being a beginner. But as I gain my own experience I realize that each of these people arguing certain things have reasons to believe whatever it is they are saying. I have my own experiences which back up what I say and think, as I'm sure others do.

I'd like to keep the fresh mind that I started with. I don't know anything. Not get involved in any arguments or judgments because, what do I know? A whole lot of nothing. But.... I do know stuff, and that stuff has been validated by practice.

I used to look at people involved in crazy confrontations, and think, "wow, they really lost sight of the path, they get all caught up in stuff..." I used to look at teachers who thought they had all the answers, and I thought, "wow, I don't think I'll ever become that arrogant!" But as my experience grows, I see how I CAN become that arrogant further down my line. And why wouldn't I be? As a more experienced person, I'd have dozens, hundreds, thousands, of experiences which back up what I'm saying. And who dares question me? Some dude who took an intro yoga class and think he knows what I should be teaching????

So where does this leave us? What do you guys think about this? How can you simultaneously have a fresh, open mind, while at the same time make progress in whatever it is you do, and accumulate experiences which validate those methods?

I wrote some pretty sloppy insights, but had to delete. Basically, it takes many people their whole life to come to the point you're referring to.

I did a test of myself one time. If I start to feel good about myself, then I'm off track. This method worked. No progress. First time I experienced this was when I accidentally slipped into a state of pure joy after flunking a graduate class in philosophy. Good for my heart, bad for my CV.

h

Edited by hagar

Hey, dont feel anone in it SloppyZ! We all have experienced this one time or another. If we hadnt we would probably either become world renown or have people ask who our teachers were.

Of course then they would be critiqued based upon others limited knowledge but is true not everyone is on the right path. If there is a real truth it might be people are jerks? But we like them anyway :lol:

It's a weening process. No matter what we've experienced, we are still in the image and likeness of the creator but much, much more dumb and selfish. The greatest master is not a master. The lowliest student is as much a student as the teacher's pet. I don't think it really matters too much who's right or who's wrong but there are ways that makes sense within the design plans of creation which can provide for hearty debate.

What i'm trying to say, and I think I failed in the above paragraph, is that we're all human. We all have the same feelings, recognize the same lusts and desires to be this or that, and as we develop, the ability to discern another's intentions as well as our own can be the greatest and most painful ability. At some point everyone knows what lurks under the skin.

Moreover, any of us can trap ourselves in a cave and hide away from the world around us, but honestly, that's just fucking boring. It's not that I accept my flaws and the flaws of this world as being the way it is, but I do appreciate a colorful ego even if its tainted with arrogance. Sometimes arrogance can be downright entertaining. lol.

All you need is humility.

I know I believe vastly different things than the other practitioners here. In fact, I think most people on this forum are just flat out wrong and that largely they are wasting their time. BUT, if I met somebody from this forum who put me on my ass, I wouldn't hold false pride or make excuses. Practicing humility would allow me to learn from them. Thankfully, I have a teacher that can put me on my ass if I ever need to trim some of that excess pride.

Thankfully, I have a teacher that can put me on my ass if I ever need to trim some of that excess pride.

Hehehe. Yeah, I think it is important that we each have at least one person in our life who can bring us back to reality when we start thinking we know everyting.

One really nice thing about not knowing is that we get into far fewer arguements because we have no need to defend any opinions.

Peace & Love!

Sign in to follow this