bodyoflight

Which practices promote hair growth/avoid hair loss?

I am wondering what kind of practices should a male do in order to avoid hair loss or facilitate better growth of your hair.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

I am wondering what kind of practices should a male do in order to avoid hair loss or facilitate better growth of your hair.

The two main things that contribute to hair loss are lack of blood flow in the scalp and the tightening of the hair follicles. You might have heard of DHT as relates to hair loss, and there are DHT receivers in the scalp, some people have more and some people have less, but basically when DHT gets up there it also causes the follicle to tighten, stopping hair growth. Massaging helps circulate DHT out, from what I've been told.

Scalp massage helps with overall circulation (which stimulate hair growth), so that's usually where most advice starts.

This website teaches a few methods of exercising the scalp muscles to promote blood flow.

Someone else has mentioned the Luftek system, I don't have the website on hand, and for some reason google searching isn't bringing it up (I'm pretty sure Luftek is what is was called :unsure:) but that mainly dealt with meditative methods to relax the scalp and promote hair growth.

Now those are assuming everything else in your body is okay. You might want to examine your diet. From what I know hair is mostly protein, so having some protein in your diet helps. I know zinc helps, and that's the main vitamin which helps lead to hair health. There are also some other vitamins which help. Google searches can turn those up or wait for a response by someone who knows all the details.

Stress can play a big part, same with large hormonal changes. Major traumas also lead to hair loss.

In most cases, I'm pretty sure hair loss is reversible, as long as you pin down the cause and help balance it out. Hair loss is also preventable by overall a healthy lifestyle, and knowing what to do and what not to do.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang
  • Like 1

hairbreathing.

yep that's what i said, hairbreathing.

like skin breathing or bone breathing but breathe through the hair instead.

you will look like a yeti soon enough.

i got hair growing in places that women don't really like now... damn

s

Just a funny blurb... i just oopsied cutting my sons hair and now he is as short as a sphinx cat. So this post has incredible timing.

Not sure if I can get him (8 yrs old) to do hair breathing but it's worth a try.

Peace and Love on the Way

According to this site estrogen creates DHT not testosterone and so avoid foods that have phytoestrogen (flax seeds, tofu)...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Hair-Loss-Supplement-Actually-Speeds-Up-Hair-Loss&id=813185

On the other hand choline is highly recommended for growing hair -- and the main source for choline is lecithin (and the main source for lecithin is tofu)...

OR eggs.

So I go with eggs myself.

DHT is not created by estrogen.

It is the primary masculinizing hormone, that is converted from testosterone, and is very important for the male body.

It is directly responsible for masculinization, penis growth, and secondary sex trait hair growth (beard, chest hair, you get the idea) in males.

It doesn't convert to estrogen (like testosterone) if there is an excess of it in the body, which is ideal for people with gynecomastia as it can be applied topically to fix it. But this is also the problem for people with hair loss. It starts attaching to the scalp.

Many say it is the cause of enlarged prostate, but I think it only causes enlarged prostate when estrogen is present.

In fact people with 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (the inability to metabolize DHT) are genetic guys, that may have any thing from a female physical body, to an underdeveloped male body (micropenis,etc).

You could basically say it's hyper yang hormone.

It seems to get a bad rap, but in doing my research and reading about a lot of the different science studies, it seems that it's just hype and pharm companies have jumped on the trend to buy dht inhibitors.

I'm just saying be aware, as it plays a large role in male bodies, libido, psychology, and general health.

5-alpha-reductase deficiency

DHT

John

Edited by JohnC

DHT is not created by estrogen.

It is the primary masculinizing hormone, that is converted from testosterone, and is very important for the male body.

It is directly responsible for masculinization, penis growth, and secondary sex trait hair growth (beard, chest hair, you get the idea) in males.

It doesn't convert to estrogen (like testosterone) if there is an excess of it in the body, which is ideal for people with gynecomastia as it can be applied topically to fix it. But this is also the problem for people with hair loss. It starts attaching to the scalp.

Many say it is the cause of enlarged prostate, but I think it only causes enlarged prostate when estrogen is present.

In fact people with 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (the inability to metabolize DHT) are genetic guys, that may have any thing from a female physical body, to an underdeveloped male body (micropenis,etc).

You could basically say it's hyper yang hormone.

It seems to get a bad rap, but in doing my research and reading about a lot of the different science studies, it seems that it's just hype and pharm companies have jumped on the trend to buy dht inhibitors.

I'm just saying be aware, as it plays a large role in male bodies, libido, psychology, and general health.

5-alpha-reductase deficiency

DHT

John

Man I clicked on the micropenis link via that wiki link -- geez they're not joking! haha.

Man I clicked on the micropenis link via that wiki link -- geez they're not joking! haha.

haha :P