Sign in to follow this  
TommyRyukyu

SpringForestQiGong

I have been practicing Spring Forest level 1 since February of this year daily. My body has responded well so far, and at a height of 5ft 6in I have dropped from 169lbs to 145 as of this morning. I also had made some dietary adjustments as well that helped in the weight loss. I cut out eating ANY of the food that is provided on campus (University Of Florida). Almost all of it is institutional food full of preservatives and God knows what else. My Wife has been using Whole Wheat flour for any of the baking she does for us. We have cut out all white flour. As far as sweetener we have cut out using Splenda, and Sugar. We are currently using Agave nectar or local honey. As far as convenience food we have been enjoying Amy's organic meals which can be located in the freezer section of Walmart, or Publix. Not sure about the other chains. I used to suffer from acid reflux from eating a lot of different food. However, eating the way I have been and doing the Spring Forest QiGong all of that is now a thing of the past. My mind, and my thoughts are much more clear and focused. As of yesterday I also began sitting Full Lotus in my backyard. I would have tried sooner, but have been having a lot of hip problems. (previous broken hip from cycle accident) I sit half lotus at my desk at work as it's the only one I can do in the chair at work. It's one thing for one to hear how difficult it is to still the mind, but in practice ... WoW! A challenge to say the least. I can see why hiking deep into a forest away from all in town distractions would be one of the best places to still the mind. I live in North Florida, and I know of no caves (at least near by anyway) that could be utilized. I hope my posting will help others on their path.

Cheers,

Tommy

We are currently using Agave nectar or local honey.

As of yesterday I also began sitting Full Lotus in my backyard. I would have tried sooner, but have been having a lot of hip problems. (previous broken hip from cycle accident) I sit half lotus at my desk at work as it's the only one I can do in the chair at work.

You may want to avoid agave & honey too - as both are high in fructose. And emerging research is now showing that high amounts of fructose can cause health problems, especially for those sensitive to it. Of course, high fructose corn syrup would be the worst offender here - but the jury is still out on how "bad" other more natural sources may be. So, you could play it safe by minimizing all excess intake for now. And reality is, why do any of even "need" any added sweeteners, anyways?

Cool, how long do you sit in full lotus now and how strainful is it? I've been sitting in half lotus for almost 11 months now, but full lotus still feels strained to me, so I haven't transitioned to it yet. Patience, sigh... :D

Edited by vortex

I have been practicing Spring Forest level 1 since February of this year daily. My body has responded well so far, and at a height of 5ft 6in I have dropped from 169lbs to 145 as of this morning. I also had made some dietary adjustments as well that helped in the weight loss. I cut out eating ANY of the food that is provided on campus (University Of Florida). Almost all of it is institutional food full of preservatives and God knows what else. My Wife has been using Whole Wheat flour for any of the baking she does for us. We have cut out all white flour. As far as sweetener we have cut out using Splenda, and Sugar. We are currently using Agave nectar or local honey. As far as convenience food we have been enjoying Amy's organic meals which can be located in the freezer section of Walmart, or Publix. Not sure about the other chains. I used to suffer from acid reflux from eating a lot of different food. However, eating the way I have been and doing the Spring Forest QiGong all of that is now a thing of the past. My mind, and my thoughts are much more clear and focused. As of yesterday I also began sitting Full Lotus in my backyard. I would have tried sooner, but have been having a lot of hip problems. (previous broken hip from cycle accident) I sit half lotus at my desk at work as it's the only one I can do in the chair at work. It's one thing for one to hear how difficult it is to still the mind, but in practice ... WoW! A challenge to say the least. I can see why hiking deep into a forest away from all in town distractions would be one of the best places to still the mind. I live in North Florida, and I know of no caves (at least near by anyway) that could be utilized. I hope my posting will help others on their path.

Cheers,

Tommy

Hey rock on Tommy! Sounds like you're doing awesome. I was actually trying to gain weight over the last six months -- just for the fun of it. I used to have a bit of a tire -- a bit pudgy before puberty but then I went vegetarian about 16 years.... Anyway so the last six months I was drinking alcohol regularly since my parents drink and I'm back with them. Finally I gained weight -- and fast! haha. Anyway I stopped drinking since it's poison but it was an interesting experiment as far as the psychoactive properties, etc.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Alcohol-makes-you-fat

I used to call alcohol "liquid fat" before I ever really drank regularly -- not sure where I got that.

http://healthnewsdigest.com/news/Lifestyle_580/Alcohol_the_Liquid_Fat_4_printer.shtml

In fact one of my favorite saying's is, "Alcohol the Liquid Fat" and worse, it can become more fattening than fat! So, while this isn't the time for most of us to start a diet, I suggest it's time to maintain. Now, why is alcohol more fattening than fat?

The Why

Fat contains 9 calories per gram, and alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. However, alcohol does not go through the exact same digestive process as dietary fat. Our body uses energy to digest and absorb all nutrients including fat, which means that about 10% of our calories are used up during the digestive process. Not the case with alcohol! Alcohol begins to enter our bloodstream through our tongue, then our stomach (especially when we have an empty stomach) and then the remainder goes through the usual route of digestion and absorption through the small intestine. Even water doesn't reach our bloodstream and cells as quickly! So, the calories in alcohol are almost like our "net fat calories" after digestion. Hence, my famous "Alcohol the Liquid Fat" (sorry!).

Edited by drewhempel

You may want to avoid agave & honey too - as both are high in fructose. And emerging research is now showing that high amounts of fructose can cause health problems, especially for those sensitive to it. Of course, high fructose corn syrup would be the worst offender here - but the jury is still out on how "bad" other more natural sources may be. So, you could play it safe by minimizing all excess intake for now. And reality is, why do any of even "need" any added sweeteners, anyways?

Cool, how long do you sit in full lotus now and how strainful is it? I've been sitting in half lotus for almost 10 months now, but full lotus still feels strained to me, so I haven't transitioned to it yet. Patience, sigh... :D

Hello Vortex, I have to say as far as full lotus, sitting up straight and feeling the weight and pressure of this posture I went at least 30-45min for my first nose to the grindstone run. That is until my left leg started going to sleep, haha. I rolled over on the lawn and laid flat until it dissipated and went back into full lotus. There is one other way that I have been able to do full lotus without any pain at all. The times I've done this I could have been in it for hours, but life beckons. Fill a garden style tub with hot/warm water throw the legs into full lotus, and lay back letting the water in the tub suspend the body. You can do the posture sitting up as well. It seemed that the warm water does a lot to help the muscles relax through the entire body and not be compressed the way they are sitting in the traditional way within the position. Yeah, as far as the sweeteners I have cut back a lot. I literally cannot eat a lot of processed things anymore. Should I fall prey to any of the so called "goodies" out there my body will punish me severely. (heart burn/stomach ache/acid reflux, etc etc) I would eventually like to get to the point of not using any sweetener at all. Patience indeed my friend. Talk about crawling before I can learn to walk again.

Hey rock on Tommy! Sounds like you're doing awesome. I was actually trying to gain weight over the last six months -- just for the fun of it. I used to have a bit of a tire -- a bit pudgy before puberty but then I went vegetarian about 16 years.... Anyway so the last six months I was drinking alcohol regularly since my parents drink and I'm back with them. Finally I gained weight -- and fast! haha. Anyway I stopped drinking since it's poison but it was an interesting experiment as far as the psychoactive properties, etc.

http://hubpages.com/...l-makes-you-fat

I used to call alcohol "liquid fat" before I ever really drank regularly -- not sure where I got that.

http://healthnewsdig...4_printer.shtml

In fact one of my favorite saying's is, "Alcohol the Liquid Fat" and worse, it can become more fattening than fat! So, while this isn't the time for most of us to start a diet, I suggest it's time to maintain. Now, why is alcohol more fattening than fat?

The Why

Fat contains 9 calories per gram, and alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. However, alcohol does not go through the exact same digestive process as dietary fat. Our body uses energy to digest and absorb all nutrients including fat, which means that about 10% of our calories are used up during the digestive process. Not the case with alcohol! Alcohol begins to enter our bloodstream through our tongue, then our stomach (especially when we have an empty stomach) and then the remainder goes through the usual route of digestion and absorption through the small intestine. Even water doesn't reach our bloodstream and cells as quickly! So, the calories in alcohol are almost like our "net fat calories" after digestion. Hence, my famous "Alcohol the Liquid Fat" (sorry!).

Hello Drew,

I didn't address the alcohol factor, but during this 6mth window I did in fact drink Miller Lite. At least one or two a day. On the weekends when working outside in the yard I drank a lot of water and beers as well. 1. I never thought I would ever be a miller lite drinker, and 2. I NEVER thought I could have dropped the amount of weight I have drinking beer at all! Even though most of the meals I've been eating contain no meat, no GMO's, rBST hormone free milk, animal enzymes or rennet (specifically speaking of Amy's organic meals) also most of their products contain no gluten (I may have a slight adversity to gluten). I still will eat chicken and fish on occasion. I've done pretty well staying away from meats in general. I am steering towards moderation and not any excessive behaviors. :D

Edited by TommyRyukyu

...I have to say as far as full lotus, sitting up straight and feeling the weight and pressure of this posture I went at least 30-45min for my first nose to the grindstone run.

Hi Tommy,

Glad to hear of your progress for Level One. You probably already know this, but just in case, I'll pass along something I picked up when learning to sit zazen years ago. Zen emphasizes the sitting posture on a cushion to elevate the hips above the level of the knees. They claim that this elevation of the butt/hips relieves much of the pressure and weight of the torso on the lower spine -- making it not only more comfortable for the buttocks but also less pressure on the spinal column; and therefore making sitting for longer durations much more comfortable and less painful.

I too am getting back in the groove -- transitioning from half to full lotus. Ouuuuch! I recall reading somewhere lately that the full lotus is 4 times more effective in certain aspects of practice than is the half-lotus. But I'm not experienced enough yet to know if this is true. Good luck with your level one!

Sign in to follow this