Sign in to follow this  
Birdoftruth

I need some advice regarding the situation i'm in

Ok guys so I'm a student at a university and am suppose to be graduating in the Fall semester. Well I had it planned for 2 months for me to go on my Vipassana meditation retreat June 30th-July 11th. Well it just so happens that Conveniently right when it's winding down and I'm preparing for the day-Surprise-I have to take this class for the second half of the summer semester or my graduation date gets pushed back to Spring which means my parents would have to pay for another semester of my rent. So now I have these options:

A) I can go to the meditation retreat and push my graduation back.

B.) Take the class but leave the two days from the meditation to go to my class (would be a 4 hour drive from GA to Orlando)

C) Take the class and will myself to do my own 10 day meditation session but go to classes the day I have them.

D) Take the class and do the meditation retreat In the spring or later

Doing the Meditation retreat is something I've really been wanting to do and now it's being taken away from me (yes I attached myself to it). What do you guys suggest?

Edited by Birdoftruth

I think it's always good to take care of everything in life before you sit, especially if it involves your parents. If I were you I'd save the retreat for later when you're free.

"Boring mainstream advice, but saves parents money and I think a big advantage of a retreat comes from the multiple sequential days. You would loose that knowing you had another commitment to go to. "

Ahh that is a very good point. You don't think I could forget the commitment if I had deep samadhi? One Idea I am entertaining is that my Class starts this monday. I could go to the first one and see how the classes fit into the next week and a half. And if I could get out of it knowing that no points would be deducted and that no tests were on any of the days I could leave Wednesday and Make it happen.

"Boring mainstream advice, but saves parents money and I think a big advantage of a retreat comes from the multiple sequential days. You would loose that knowing you had another commitment to go to. "

Ahh that is a very good point. You don't think I could forget the commitment if I had deep samadhi? One Idea I am entertaining is that my Class starts this monday. I could go to the first one and see how the classes fit into the next week and a half. And if I could get out of it knowing that no points would be deducted and that no tests were on any of the days I could leave Wednesday and Make it happen.

Yes you could, and then you could crunch the notes from other students later... if so.

...You don't think I could forget the commitment if I had deep samadhi?...

Nope. It takes many retreats and years of daily practice and watching the subtleties of your mind and its changes.

I would suggest you doing the retreat later when your mind is clear of obligations.

Ok guys so I'm a student at a university and am suppose to be graduating in the Fall semester. Well I had it planned for 2 months for me to go on my Vipassana meditation retreat June 30th-July 11th. Well it just so happens that Conveniently right when it's winding down and I'm preparing for the day-Surprise-I have to take this class for the second half of the summer semester or my graduation date gets pushed back to Spring which means my parents would have to pay for another semester of my rent. So now I have these options:

A) I can go to the meditation retreat and push my graduation back.

B.) Take the class but leave the two days from the meditation to go to my class (would be a 4 hour drive from GA to Orlando)

C) Take the class and will myself to do my own 10 day meditation session but go to classes the day I have them.

D) Take the class and do the meditation retreat In the spring or later

Doing the Meditation retreat is something I've really been wanting to do and now it's being taken away from me (yes I attached myself to it). What do you guys suggest?

It depends. If you're going to feel guilt for ditching out on your class and making ur parents pay for another semester then it's not worth going. Meditation is a time to quiet your thoughts and clear distractions, adding distracting thoughts (like guilt) before going isn't the best idea in my opinion. However if you will feel little to no remorse and your meditation means more than your secular education than my all means go for it. I know personally I'd prolly just go, but I wouldn't suggest it. It's the ol' "Do as I say, not as I do" thing ;) I'm sure you'll make the right choice though.

Best Wishes,

-Astral

short answer D.

Long preachy one:

which means my parents would have to pay for another semester of my rent.

You bring this up as a valid option. Maybe you should see how much this would cost your parents. Then find out how much McDonalds or say Target is paying per hour, after taxes.

Figure out If you were responsible enough to pay for the cost yourself how many hours you'd have to work to pay for the extra expense you'd put your parent through. <note you'd probably couldn't get a job at McDonalds or Target right now since its a very bad economy>

As you near graduation you're going to have to stop thinking like a kid and become more self sufficient. Maybe in deep samadhi or heavy drinking you can forget your commitments, but forgetting doesn't end them, it usually just piles them up.

I applaud your commitment to spirituality, it will take you far. You have the summer and your whole life to work on it. IMO obligations come first.

Michael

Unless your parents are millionaires who don't need the money, i'd save them the hardship and not postpone graduating. In this economy you'll have trouble finding a job at first, so you'll have plenty of time to meditate after you graduate :)

Sign in to follow this