Sign in to follow this  
Lucky7Strikes

Knowledge and Mystery

I think my mistake in the past has been trying to know everything.

As in, why? then...why that? why this?

Now I believe this is impossible, because any knowable concept will eventually be defined by another, unknowable, concept.

Really, I think that's all anyone can know.

It's liberating, knowing that I can't know anything. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be, the ephemeral, unknowable, ungraspeable experience. And maybe this is what Taoism is all about.

Perhaps this is where concept ends and wisdom arrives.

Well, haha! I don't know. Good day everyone! ^_^ .

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

True wisdom lies in knowing; not knowledge, for knowledge is fixed in time, unmoving, unliving, assumes a final destination where no such example exists in life, but only in death.

Truly, to have all knowledge is to walk with an empty mind, knowing all that you experience, as it is experienced.

True wisdom lies in knowing; not knowledge, for knowledge is fixed in time, unmoving, unliving, assumes a final destination where no such example exists in life, but only in death.

Truly, to have all knowledge is to walk with an empty mind, knowing all that you experience, as it is experienced.

SO, TRUE!

This is the true wisdom!

I'm in the same boat...

If you can expand your consciousness, release it from time and space, then theoretically you could tap into all of the information in the universe and beyond.

I think the biggest problem is our language. A problem for humans is that we have to use symbols to share experience, we can't transmit our experience directly. For example how do you know what we call green in the same for us? Or perhaps what I call happy is in fact a different experience that what you call happy. Thus we have a wall, the best we can do is use words as symbols to attempt to translate our feelings. This makes the very act of sharing information extremely difficult, because you're right, concepts (subjective) change all the time, even though the actual experience(objective) may not.

I think if we all develop telepathy(direct transmission of thought/feeling) then start sharing ourselves with each-other we'll eventually ALL be enlightened, because we'll all know everything.

As for the actual idea of whether or not one should want to know everything or not...thats tough. I mean there's definately some excitement in mystery, but at the same time, lack of understanding/ignorance I believe is the main cause of suffering in humans today. I mean if i'm trying to make a life decision, pick a path, I want to know where that path will lead, I want to know the consequences of my actions so i'm making the "right" choice in my mind.

AT the same time though, know EVERYTHING may indeed get alittle boring. For example imagine playing a card game knowing what each-others cards were and seeing the game play out before you even began...no much point in playing, lol. But ..., at the root of motivation is desire for experience. For example, sex. Generally we know what sex feels like, we know the experience of orgasm, of the loving, comfortable feeling of cuddling, etc and we LIKE that (at least I do, lol) so even though we know what we're going to feel, we still enjoy actually feeling it. Same thing with food. We know the taste of our favorite meal, yet we choose to eat it over and over again, doesn't really get boring. I mean if we knew everything we'd know exactly what to do and what not to do to experience the most bliss possible. SO it could actually be something worth shooting for.

Of course if you believe something is impossible it really will be for you because you won't put any effort into achieving it ;)

just my 2 cents

-Astral

I think my mistake in the past has been trying to know everything.

As in, why? then...why that? why this?

Now I believe this is impossible, because any knowable concept will eventually be defined by another, unknowable, concept.

Really, I think that's all anyone can know.

It's liberating, knowing that I can't know anything. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be, the ephemeral, unknowable, ungraspeable experience. And maybe this is what Taoism is all about.

Perhaps this is where concept ends and wisdom arrives.

Well, haha! I don't know. Good day everyone! ^_^ .

It's true, that even in Buddhas teachings, he said that knowing everything simultaneously is impossible through this capacity of body. You can get into a state of meditation and see things in a space beyond thought constructs, where information hits faster than the speed of light and volumes of information is known within a space really beyond time, but practically speaking, in one second.

Just know directly and intuitively the nature of things and let it flow. This is known as the omniscience of the nature of things and not the infinite particulars that go about this flow.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

It's true, that even in Buddhas teachings, he said that knowing everything simultaneously is impossible through this capacity of body. You can get into a state of meditation and see things in a space beyond thought constructs, where information hits faster than the speed of light and volumes of information is known within a space really beyond time, but practically speaking, in one second.

Just know directly and intuitively the nature of things and let it flow. This is known as the omniscience of the nature of things and not the infinite particulars that go about this flow.

The first part reminds me of being plugged into the Matrix. Can you share your own experiences regarding this super information cognition?

As for the second part, yes! One may never know everything within the universe, it would be impossible really. But one can deduct the nature, the way, a pattern, to how these things relate.

By the way, your writing has dramatically changed than a year ago. Just another observation. ^_^ .

The first part reminds me of being plugged into the Matrix. Can you share your own experiences regarding this super information cognition?

All I can do is laugh, thinking about it and remembering these experiences. I don't know how to describe it? Just instant expanded presence made possible through your friendly quality of emptiness, making everything, including time, transparent and translucent due to being illumined by the light of one's own mind. Coming out of it, one might have rapture, lots of bliss and bliss tears... body shaking or spontaneous mudras and mental love hugging all known aspects of cosmos and more opening towards unknown particulars... Of course someone really integrated doesn't experience these extreme shifts as it becomes more natural.

As for the second part, yes! One may never know everything within the universe, it would be impossible really. But one can deduct the nature, the way, a pattern, to how these things relate.

Yes, this is a Buddhas omniscience, knowing always and directly the nature of all things while spontaneously enjoying the constantly changing particulars of the flow. But, a Buddha is prone to what some would call magical insight. Of course, it's not magical at all, but just a natural bi-product of realizing emptiness directly. Even further the emptiness of emptiness, as in the non-inherent existence of emptiness as well which is relative to all related phenomena including the experience of Buddhahood. Total detachment while fully engaged.

By the way, your writing has dramatically changed than a year ago. Just another observation. ^_^ .

I've consciously tried to not over explain things like I used to with the endless expression of ramifications. :blush:

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Well said.

Sign in to follow this