TheSongsofDistantEarth

Zhan Zhuang on Vacation

I'd like to find out what fellow ZZ'ers do when traveling. Often I am forced to do a 'placeholder' type of practice session where I do maybe five minutes in an inconvenient place, just so I don't miss practicing. I sometimes go outdoors in a parking lot or 10-15 minutes indoors in a hotel room, it doesn't feel right to do much more. As it is, it feels kind of unsatisfactory. Or sometimes I find myself in a room on an upstairs floor, and it feels really wrong to do ZZ without contacting Mother Earth.

I won't allow myself to skip a day entirely, but it sure feels weird when I'm not able to get a decent session in for days or weeks at a time on a trip. It also feels like doing another form of qi gong kind of breaks the flow of the ZZ. Even practicing in a hotel room feels very odd. Is it better to just let go of ZZ and do something else? It's funny, meditation doesn't seem to bother me in those settings.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hm yeah been there.. 1 or 2 days isn't absoloutly horrible. Its good to let your body rest anyway.

The days I don't do my qi gong and asanas I still meditate when everyones asleep or when I know im going to be alone.

I suggest if you have to do the same. Plus if your on vacation you should be able to have fun with zhan zhuang if you want =), its vacation =D.

If you ever have the chance to find a teacher that teaches how to put muscular activity into your standing, do so. This type of training allows you to concentrate your zhan zhuang. As far as I know, I-Chuan passed down through Professor Yu Yong Nian and his students is where to find this type of training. Haven't seen anyone else do it like they do.