RiverSnake

Contemplating Veganism Any Advice

I am considering becoming a Vegan. Anything i should know or read before i begin this path.

-Book recomendations?

-General Advice?

-General Advice?

Prepare for your life to suck.

If you have any attachment to brownies, cookies, sandwiches, or anything other than bread and vegetables, you should turn back now.

Consider first becoming a normal vegetarian. Then if you are really committed to not eating anything that has ever come in contact with an animal, THEN become a vegan.

Because if this is one of those "oh, veganism helps you become more spiritual, I want to become more spiritual, therefore I shall become a vegan!" then five minutes later you dump all your brownies into the trash, well..... by the end of the week you are going to be dumpster diving looking for your brownies!

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

If you have any attachment to brownies, cookies, sandwiches, or anything other than bread and vegetables, you should turn back now.

Consider first becoming a normal vegetarian. Then if you are really committed to not eating anything that has never come in contact with an animal, THEN become a vegan.

Because if this is one of those "oh, veganism helps you become more spiritual, I want to become more spiritual, therefore I shall become a vegan!" then five minutes later you dump all your brownies into the mix, well..... by the end of the week you are going to be dumpster diving looking for your brownies!

A good friend of mine was a vegan and she was a fanatic. She gave it up and now eats meat and a regular diet. :lol:

ralis

I think it's way too complicated to do well without hitting some form of malnutrition issue along the way. Why do you want to do it?

I don't understand why anyone would want to become a complete vegan TBH, but joining some kind of recipe sharing community will probably help.

I am considering becoming a Vegan. Anything i should know or read before i begin this path.

-Book recomendations?

-General Advice?

check into Healing with Whole Foods by Paul Pitchford it's a great book about integrating western and eastern nutrition with a emphasis on eating no animal products.

You can be a Very healthy vegan but it takes a lot of work (at first till you get in the swing of it)

First B12 supplements = essential for any Vegan as this is the one thing the diet misses. (even though it is present in many vegan foods it is usually fairly unabsorbable)

Second, Seaweed!

Third, Nuts and seeds. Learn to sprinkle them on everything, yes even on your Lady!

Fourth, Tempeh - Its warming, and delicious.

Many vegan foods are cooling: green vegetables, tofu and many grains.

Fifth. Take notice of how what you eat makes you feel... Keep a food Diary. Do you need more cooling or warming foods or in between? Eat accordingly.

Good Luck Guys :)

I may be joining you there one day... IMO Milk products are just shit to turn a human into a Mucus Factory.

I grew up hunting as well and even though i loved going hunting, when ever I actually had to kill the animal it just felt wrong on some deep level. This bugs me to this day.

I can see the whole idea isn't very popular on this thread :D

Actually it's not that difficult. Out of smoking, drinking, sex and what not, meat is by far the easiest thing to give up.

You don't have to make a decision to do it for the rest of your life, just give it a go for a month or so, you will find after that month you are at the point where you don't mind too much either way.

I generally take 3 months of the year as a vegan, just for a body clean out, as meat putrifies and stays within the body for a long time.

You needn't become fanatical about it, fanatical people are fanatical as a way of forcing and convincing themselves not to do something they still want to do. Make sure you get a load of vegetarian recipes before you start otherwise the boredom of no meat can hit you pretty hard.

The only downside I would say was the first time I did it, after about a month I had a serious lack of energy, until a friend informed me I should be taking iron suppliments, Seth has mentioned some other things too already.

It does suck at first when you go out to eat with people and they order their meat, man does that meat ever look good!!!

It will make your body feel much lighter and actually speed you up a bit, as long as you have the right combination. Don't forget the Dofu. And don't start thinking it's all 'spiritual' or you will become sanctimonious, and no one likes people like that.

Somewhere in the video series he gets pissed off! Waxes poetic about cats eating rats when he was a kid in Taiwan.

How cows have many stomachs. We have one stomach, we have canine incisors... we have narrow vision, we are the hunters, not prey, et al... ad nausum. Really cool.

Consider first becoming a normal vegetarian. Then if you are really committed to not eating anything that has ever come in contact with an animal, THEN become a vegan.

Because if this is one of those "oh, veganism helps you become more spiritual, I want to become more spiritual, therefore I shall become a vegan!" then five minutes later you dump all your brownies into the trash, well..... by the end of the week you are going to be dumpster diving looking for your brownies!

Rarely do i eat sweets, rarely do i ever drink soda or anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. Also i was a vegetarian for a year and never once had any temptations. Also i've never heard of people saying that being a vegan makes you more spiritual: must be some new age thing. I don't foresee veganism as being a struggle for me once i get a set of food ranges down for a diet plan.

I think it's way too complicated to do well without hitting some form of malnutrition issue along the way. Why do you want to do it?

-I was talking to my friend last night and he was telling me about his 81 year hippey uncle who still fucks young women and goes bungie jumping. He also told me that his uncle developed prostate cancer and that because of his diet (Vegan) the cancer never spread and was actually going into remission because he was so healthy and that doctors were having him record his diet so that they could use it for research.

-Also as independent as i am the ability to be able to live completely of the land appeals to me.

-Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

I strongly will advice you to refrain from it unless you decide to become a monk or a secluse living away from society, and even though no one would follow it long term.

Please read this valuable information:

http://www.acupuncture.com/nutrition/vegdiet.htm

Careful with playing with internal energetics.

Metal-Water-Wood-Fire-Earth-Metal is something you cannot mess with lightly.

-Book recomendations?

-General Advice?

Check out Dr Joel Fuhrmans web site

http://www.drfuhrman.com/

There's a lot of information there. It's not just about weight loss.

Rarely do i eat sweets, rarely do i ever drink soda or anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. Also i was a vegetarian for a year and never once had any temptations. Also i've never heard of people saying that being a vegan makes you more spiritual: must be some new age thing. I don't foresee veganism as being a struggle for me once i get a set of food ranges down for a diet plan.

Well it's good you've got similar experiences anyway. It's good to know you're not to.... heh.... "green" :P

The reason I brought up the spiritual angle is, well, it does kind of have a precedent. Vegetarianism is done in Hinduism. Then naturally there are people who are like, "I can reduce my karma through vegetarianism! Wait, if I become a vegan, even more reduction! Wheee!"

You just gotta do it for the right reasons, and you have to keep your head about it. Like others said, you have to know what you are going to be naturally missing out on with this diet, and how you can replace it to keep balance.

You sound like you got it under control, so you should be fine, and as long as you just do your research and check the requirements for everything, you'll be fine.

-I was talking to my friend last night and he was telling me about his 81 year hippey uncle who still fucks young women and goes bungie jumping. He also told me that his uncle developed prostate cancer and that because of his diet (Vegan) the cancer never spread and was actually going into remission because he was so healthy and that doctors were having him record his diet so that they could use it for research.

There's a term for that. It's called "being a beast."

Your buddie's uncle? Yeah. He's a beast.

Nature's like, "whoa, slow down- here's CANCER."

And his uncle's like, "NO."

And the cancer is like, "YES SIR!"

Some people are a beast. This guy's uncle is one of them.

That or he drinks Powerthirst:

(the proof is at :40 bet he has 400 babies too :P)

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

When I live in Taiwan its easy to go vegan or pure vegetarian as they call it. Meals are generally veggies, rice and some kind of tofu product. Hundreds of other choices, never get bored. The only problem is I gain weight because its all so wonderful. Its heart touching in fact, to see a culture having developed and maintained this. Other countries struggle and pooh-pooh something that Taiwanese make easy. Sure you have to give up being a barbarian and risk giving yourself good karma, but you know, when I go into a non-vegetarian restaurant now I can see such a difference in the level of the people-when the food is about to be served I notice a kind of wolf-like beady eyes, kind of greed trance when theres a chunk of meat in front. In the vegetarian restaurants theres often Buddhist monks sitting in their garb, most other patrons are chilled out, and I think to myself, yes, this is the right kind of environment for eating.

Taiwanese are professors and other most other countries are kindergarteners as far as vegan meals. One thing most people dont think of, is that a cultivator is not trying to be part of the natural food chain just because we happen to be wearing these bodies, but to surpass our animal-nature towards a being of pure energy. This is where a non-cultivator's understanding stops and crashes, but if you know that to be truth, then you can make your own decision as to whether your food choice can influence your cultivation progress.

I am considering becoming a Vegan. Anything i should know or read before i begin this path?

Also i was a vegetarian for a year and never once had any temptations.

Do you think you it might have been useful to mention this in the first place? I for one feel like a wasted my time replying. It's not like you're a beginner at it, and, possibly a lot of us wouldn't have posted the usual stuff.

No offence, but when I waste my time I like to know I'm wasting my time. :)

I think the main issue in abstaining from meat-eating is in relation to limited availability of alternative protein sources, since protein is generally considered to be quintessential for optimum health.

I was recently made aware of Quinoa, which is supposedly an excellent alternative protein source, and was wondering if anyone here can help in verifying its 'WOWful' benefits? They are meant to be highly nutritious when sprouted - of course all sprouts are generally thought to be nutrient-rich, but i was told Quinoa is THE sprout to beat in terms of nutritious value. Any input/personal accounts into this?

Btw i'm no vege convert, although over time have noticed the body beginning to tell me less and less meat is required, and am starting to heed this call. There is definitely no conscious, effortful moral or spiritual considerations involved here.

Hence the interest in Quinoa, i guess...

Edited by CowTao

I would advice against it. Unless you have a strong constitution, going vegan is asking for trouble in the long run unless you really know what you're doing because human body isn't really adopted for eating just plants. And eating only vegan stuff in that sense is going against the tao.. in any case for you to live something else must die. If you don't want to eat meat I suggest eating at least plenty (2-6 daily) eggs, maybe some fish and raw milk if it suits you (organic/pastured butter is also good).

There are a few fundamental problems in your average vegan diet. First of all it generally has too much wrong kinds of carbs, mostly meaning cereal grains. Wheat is the number one enemy, but rice & its buddies should also be used sparingly. It's ok to eat them sometimes, but it should be just a small part of the meal. Most of the stuff you want to be putting in your mouth are vegetables. Berries and a little bit of fruit is ok too.

Second problem is an adequate source of protein. Eggs are really good if you eat them, beside from that almost every other option is not ideal. Soy should be avoided completely (exept fermented versions such as soy sauce, miso, etc.), here's a summary: http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert.html . Lentils and beans also have some stuff in them which you don't want inside you. If you ferment them they might be OK though (see for example http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/11/real-food-ix-idlis.html). Also one good option could be this product (http://www.iherb.com/Sun-Warrior-Protein-Raw-Vegan-Natural-2-2-lbs-1000-g/23101?at=0) . It's pretty good tasting and probably the best option next to the real thing.

Third question is fat. It's not a problem because extra virgin olive oil and (organic) extra virgin coconut oil are both very suitable for optimal nutrition. EVCO is something you want to be eating a lot every day.. it's a great source of energy and a perfect replacement for those calories you got before from those cereal grains. It also makes killer asian-type foods when used as a cooking oil. Almost all other vegetable oils should be avoided (exept maybe avocado oil) because they tend to contain shitloads of omega-6, which is not good for you in any way..

Hmm I probably most of the bases covered here.. I didn't explain everything in 100% detail so if you have questions, please ask.

-Book recomendations?

-General Advice?

make sure you get enough protein

Check out Dr Joel Fuhrmans web site

http://www.drfuhrman.com/

There's a lot of information there. It's not just about weight loss.

This. I've read a couple of his books.

Dr Fuhrman does cite scientific sources for his views. This means people can check the information out for themselves. He also does this for a living, and seems to be very successful at it (meaning his patients fully recover their health, or at least make significant improvement).

It is very important to get it right, and Dr Fuhrman does detail the how and the why. Interestingly enough, much of it seems to tally with daoist ideas on diet.

My niece was vegan for a couple of years and besides besides being thin her hair started falling out... her doctor told her to start eating fish and chicken to regain some of her general strength which goes with health.

Imo to be a true vegan and do it in a healthy way you would have to be a semi-expert on nutrition;

until then an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet is pretty safe.

Good luck

-I was talking to my friend last night and he was telling me about his 81 year hippey uncle who still fucks young women and goes bungie jumping

. :)

why does this guy just sound so tremendously unappealing to me? hmmm. just cant put my finger on it. Wouldnt anyway, he's too old.B)

I've been a vegetarian for almost 4 years i think. To me veganism it's more like an ideal or some of activism. Yes, the cows and chickens that are not free range suffer, so what? You are not making them suffer, it's not your choice, you should fight the people and demand they treat animals well not stop eating eggs. Perhaps the best thing is to buy eggs from a trusted local and organic farm. Also finding vegan products (not only food related) is a pain, and companies can actually lie to you about what they use.

To me we have to learn to live WITH animals, not without them, killing them and torture them is out of the question, we have to be grateful and respectful of them, for what they provide us and what we provide them (food, shelter, medicine, etc).

We have to cherish them as our own pets or even more. The life of a free range farm cow is much more peaceful than any other species fighting for survival each day. I love nature in all its forms but to me we are giving the cow a favour. And most likely, that cow has a much more better karma than a lion or a seal. Similar to dogs, cats and other animals that are closer to the confortable human experience than to cruel nature.

Perhaps when all population becomes vegetarian and eating meat is closer to cannibalism than a pleasure, then we can consider veganism. The world as a whole will understand more about nutrition, foods will be enriched with vegetarian issues in mind, etc, so the change to veganism would sound more logical and practical.

So my suggestion is to become vegetarian, at least to try it out and see how you do. Going full vegan can actually make you go back to meat in a month and never give it another thought...