Raymond Wolter

What is your favorite Qigong System and Why?

The breathing ratio's ypu speak of in Flying Phoenix isnt hard to do and once you learn how and why they are done you have understood a lot about yourself. It hard for people that have no idea what the breath percentage is about.

Ape

The breathing ratio's ypu speak of in Flying Phoenix isnt hard to do and once you learn how and why they are done you have understood a lot about yourself. It hard for people that have no idea what the breath percentage is about.

Ape

Agreed but that is the issue! I need something simpler to start with? If I knew a lot about myself, I guess I would not be seeking advice for a simple qigong system? :)

Was wondering is there anything dangerous or inherently wrong practicing more than one Chi Kung in the day.

-For example say i do 20 minutes of ZZ

-Then i do 30 minutes of another Chi Kung

-Then i do 20 minutes of meditation...etc.

Do Chi Kung systems and their purposes ever conflict with each other or is it simply the more Chi Kung the better.

Edited by Tao Apprentice

But its easy to sit and observe your breathing that is what you are doing with Flying Phoenix and Burning Palm System, these breath percentage is a hidden Key!

Anyway good luck in your quest!

Ape :)

Was wondering is there anything dangerous or inherently wrong mix practicing more thant one Chi Kung in the day.

Do Chi Kung systems and their purposes every conflict with each other or is it simply the more Chi Kung the better.

I guess depends on the system?

Spring Forest is considered safe and gels well with most other systems is what many say. Chunyi Lin however advices that it is best to practice SFQ alone as he cannot assure what is going to come in from the other system/s.

E.g. Xiang Gong - the grand teacher says one will gravely injure himself by mixing any other qigong that involves conscious movement of energy or forms that use mind to move chi.

Baguazhang.

Pros: it works all your energy bodies, outside in and inside out.

Cons: it is complex and requires a lot of energy and as a result almost a monastic lifestyle especially the first years of training. Very difficult to learn.

Thank you. Can you please point me to some resources to read more about this system?

You wouldn't be interested.

Edited by Starjumper7

I've been thinking about the ? of this thread some...

Obviously I bop around a lot amongst systems. What I like that is stabilizing and simple, useful and important I think, is to understand principles because the basic principles and mechanics of being human are the same whatever system you are practicing. And if you have an understanding of basic ideas of what needs to accomplished re: "organic mechanics" then it provides a lot of support for getting the most out of what you're practicing.

I also think that for most people who are into this for their entire lives, likely you'll work with at least several systems over time. Don't get too hung up on choosing the absolutely best one: pick one that's good, and dig in. :)

This.

Emphatically.

This, for me, involves looking in and understanding yourself, and how different practices affect you in different ways. If you can do this, then you can find your weak points and where you need to work on, you can understand how a system affects you, and you can understand how different systems can work well together or not.

Was wondering is there anything dangerous or inherently wrong practicing more than one Chi Kung in the day.

Do Chi Kung systems and their purposes ever conflict with each other or is it simply the more Chi Kung the better.

I had to google to be sure youwere not referring to the qigong system Zhan zhuang http://www.chi-kung.no

there seems to be so many systems and it can be rather confusing to answer even simple questions due to this.

BUT I would say that if your reference is to the classical standing post that is a basicrequirement in most martial arts and qigong systems, your list of threesomes seems just perfect to me.

I have a similar list myself, and serious zz training has rooted and strengthened me to the point of initiating embryonic breathcycles.

I do follow a medical qigong system which is successively built up on

nei gong for the twelve ordinary meridians

luohan gongfor the eight extraordinary meridians

and kong jing for those truly dedicated..

to put it simple.

I am therefore combining neigong and luohan gong every day, since it is like returning, strenghtening basic foundation while steadily adding extrordinary angles. But all in one qigong teaching system.

http://www.qigongacademy.no/om-waq

Meditation is not a part of the qigong system. It is my personal practise. But I have come to realize that without the meditation everything else would have muchless effect.

THis system is a logic successive system where the exercises and poses build upon each other, therefore it would be unneccessary to add another system

But ..ascurious as I am..and this system takes years to finish..I do check out

other systems as well, it gives me a better understanding of why and what works.

Edited by rain

I also have the Kunlun book. Do the Ijong posture and five element standing postures replace ZZ in the Kunlun system i.e. can ZZ be replaced with these standing postures?

I also have the Kunlun book. Do the Ijong posture and five element standing postures replace ZZ in the Kunlun system i.e. can ZZ be replaced with these standing postures?

You also practise kunlun, is that what you are saying?

Kunlun to me was a integrative system designed and taught by Max.

Have you been instructed by him or are you copying the instructionsfromthe book?

I could give you my answer, andI think your pretty close BUT I am not the founder of any of your systems

so I would advice you to discussthese questions with your various teachers

before you decide on what is similar and can be replaced...or not. :)

Edited by rain

Ya Mu, cannot disagree with you one bit! I want to start off something on the energetic levels in addition to anapana, zen style of meditation that I currently do. I will surely want to look at your DVD as well? Would you have a youtube video or something of the form? Is it easy enough to learn from a video and practice right till I can train with you or another teacher of the form? Thanks.

Many people have learned it from the DVD then shown up at the workshop later. I do not have a youtube video up of this system. However, I do offer money back if unhappy with purchase. This is the only video to which I have posted a link in TTB.

• Like 1

You also practise kunlun, is that what you are saying?

Kunlun to me was a integrative system designed and taught by Max.

Have you been instructed by him or are you copying the instructionsfromthe book?

I could give you my answer, andI think your pretty close BUT I am not the founder of any of your systems

so I would advice you to discussthese questions with your various teachers

before you decide on what is similar and can be replaced...or not. :)

Hello Rain, I only have the book and the do not practice from it yet. For some reason, I did not feel attracted to main kunlun shaking exercise and wanted to do only the standing forms. I have been doing I Jong a bit but that is all. They seemed to me like ZZ plus something more? Also simple enough.

A workshop immersion can put you to a place significantly further than several months/years with a "course"

"Can" but not likely. A good master teaching an intensive system can teach you much more in four once a week classes than you can get at even the best seminars, and most seminars are far from 'best'. Also you get to practice between classes so what you learn 'sticks' and evolves much better than what you learn from a seminar, in addition, for the cost of one seminar you can typically go to a year or two worth of classes, the constant repetition of classes solidifies the complex learnings and the continuous learning of new material also creates more motivation to continue practice like no seminar can.

The master has said: seminars are a joke, which is putting it more nicely than what he actually said.

However, some seminars may have some use for long term students.

Hello Rain, I only have the book and the do not practice from it yet. For some reason, I did not feel attracted to main kunlun shaking exercise and wanted to do only the standing forms. I have been doing I Jong a bit but that is all. They seemed to me like ZZ plus something more? Also simple enough.

Definitely another system that you'll get x amount of benefit from the book, but going and getting personal training makes it all exponentially better. The standing practices ground out the energies from the other practices. The spontaneous may seem dull and boring, but after you get deeper into the practices, its but only a part of the overall system. This one aint for everybody, that's for sure.

That said, a lot of the stuff I did before starting the kunlun neigung served as a good foundation that made the kl more fruitful - zz, embryonic breathing, 8 brocades, healing sounds.

SJ: agreed on seminar vs shorter training more often - we all dont have that luxury of being able to have quite so many sessions though!

SJ: agreed on seminar vs shorter training more often - we all dont have that luxury of being able to have quite so many sessions though!

I have an opening for one wannabe Jedi who has that luxury.

Edited by Starjumper7

there is a world of difference between the symptomatic shaking caused by release of adrenalin through your bloodvesselsand caused by the strain initial strain of ZZ, and the slow development and later stage of embryonic unvoluntarily muscular contractions mounting in the same stance.

ZZ is the pot where to simmer.

What is to be boring with spontaneous I cannot fathom because spontaneous is always fresh. That is the essence of spontaneous. THat said it often does contain recognizeable curves and angles but if done correctly it is themost effective method to locate and dissolve blocages. Amusician or a painter often has a personal signal.

the same thing. andalways seeking to expand.

• Like 1

Rain, Joe,

What you guys are saying is that ZZ or Kunlun or I Jong - all these lead to spontaneous practice but intensity is different? And same type of spontaneous energy? I don't understand the difference between the three practices...bear with the ignorant me :D

Joe,

What is a typical Kunlun schedule like? Do I do all the exercises listed twice or thrice a day? There are so many things in the book and I get confused how much and what to practice.

Also, do you do other Qigong forms with the Kunlun Spontaneous form other than the exercises listed in the book?

Thanks.

I practice Yi Gong, which I learned from Sifu Jenny, who taught Max half of the Kunlun practice (the spontaneous half).

It's my favorite thus far because it's the easiest. You sit down and let go. heh. It's also quite effective.

Also, in my opinion, doing Qi Gong without mind training is like working on your car's engine without learning to drive..

Edited by mikaelz

I practice Yi Gong, which I learned from Sifu Jenny, who taught Max half of the Kunlun practice (the spontaneous half).

It's my favorite thus far because it's the easiest. You sit down and let go. heh. It's also quite effective.

Also, in my opinion, doing Qi Gong without mind training is like working on your car's engine without learning to drive..

Interesting, in the next chapter in the Way of Energy he talks about that. Why is it so important?

Interesting, in the next chapter in the Way of Energy he talks about that. Why is it so important?

Sorry, who is 'he'? I think I missed the context of your reply. Are you asking why meditation is important?

Sorry, who is 'he'? I think I missed the context of your reply. Are you asking why meditation is important?

Lol my response was a bit vague. Just was asking why is mind trainging so important?

I started with the Yijin Jing 易筋經 "Muscle/Tendon Change Classic" offered by Danial Reid in his "Guarding the Three Treasures". Simple and direct form with a beautiful focus on the six secret sounds. Was my first encounter with this mysterious Qi energy.

Learned traditional Zhan Zhuang through my Yang Style Taijiquan training. An absolute must.

Now also practice BaBao, the Eight Treasures, taught by Master Ni Hua Ching. (This isn't the Eight Brocades). It is a wonderful balance of stretching, strength/stability work, and Qi intent training.

:D