Raymond Wolter

What is your favorite Qigong System and Why?

Mo Pai because I saw a video of a guy igniting a newspaper with his hands thus that is the only working system, only practice worth pursuing. Oh I heard you can jump over houses too. I want to be Goku!

I like to keep it simple. Michael Winn from the Healing Tao USA had an easy Chi gung form on his Fundamentals II DVD. I got the DVD, also learned it from him at a seminar. I usually only do the first 3 moves of the set, Ocean breathing, Sun & moon, Crossing the Ocean. Then I'll do the very simple Pan Gu chi gung.

Pro's real simple. Pan Gu is as simple a medical chi gung form as I can imagine. Win's movements are very energetic, its pretty clear what pathways the moves are 'aimed' at. Ocean Breathing all by itself is a great practice. There's a good physical component to them. Crossing the Ocean flexes, strengthens and relaxes the back.

The video's aren't too expensive, there's little spiritual baggage in the system (none required anyway), HT teachers aren't too hard to find.

Con's. I haven't studied many forms. Most are longer and more complex, they may well be more complete and go deeper. But I'm Keep It Short & Simple kind of guy.

Sometimes a local school teaching Tai Chi, Chi gung or yoga is the best, because its live, there's feedback, personal attention and depth of teaching that can't be done on video or at a seminar.

Michael

• Like 1

The qigong world IS confusing to folks just getting involved.

Of the ones you listed I like Wuji best. I also like Francesco Garripoli's version better.

I'm also just starting Qi Gong (ZZ) as well. It's my understanding that the primary benefit of qi gong is health related: improving ones own health. But accordingly it seems like there are various other applications of chi kung, and what makes a system "complete"? Seems like there are many things i don't know about this area of study?

Of the ones you listed I like Wuji best. I also like Francesco Garripoli's version better.

c'mon, Ya Mu. are you serious? the Wuji that Garripoli teaches (Wuji Hundun Qigong) is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT form, not even close to the primordial Wuji that Winn and Rubbo teach. AND, Garripoli doesn't teach it very well, if you ask me. a student would have to learn the stiff, uninspired form from Garripoli, and then watch the documentary and hope that they can learn the freedom & spontaneity aspects from short clips of master Duan. most people just end up getting a good stretch, and the form never comes alive for them.

Primordial Wuji, on the other hand, is a different animal entirely. i would recommend Winn's video over Rubbo's. it's a lot easier to learn than you think. it's the series of turns that makes it look complicated, but once you understand that part (which he explains in about 5 minutes easily), it's not at all difficult.

as a newbie, i would start with spring forest qigong for a lot of reasons. whoever told you that the system had no juice was smoking crack. it's the opposite, and anyone with experience can just look at the movements and see why. the movements will energize you and awaken your awareness to the energy faster than most other systems out there. it's ALL about moving and gathering energy; there are ZERO moves for stretching or anything like that in the actual form part. you will probably develop sensitivity to the energy within your first 3 practice sessions. ALSO, he's very free and open in his approach, which keeps you open and not bogged down with dogma that says "you have to do it this way." that's an important quality when starting out.

EDIT:

if you want a little more, the best i've ever seen on video for beginning practice is Jerry Alan Johnson. His video is outstanding. his movements are PERFECT and effortless. Plus you get some really good theory and internal structure lessons.

for the money it might be the best buy out there. i personally think everyone should own it. ;)

Edited by Hundun
  • Like 1

I'm also just starting Qi Gong (ZZ) as well. It's my understanding that the primary benefit of qi gong is health related: improving ones own health. But accordingly it seems like there are various other applications of chi kung, and what makes a system "complete"? Seems like there are many things i don't know about this area of study?

I guess it depends on what you are after. To me, simple stretching exercises that some call qigong are not what I call qigong - yet there are several out there. Do they help? Surely they do - but I have seen nothing to suggest that they help any more than any other physical exercise. To me, qigong is all about energy. So the most efficient system that builds the energy body is what I look for. Stillness-Movement as well as Gift of the Tao are designed to raise the energy body vibration - which in turn translates to awareness. The health benefits are obvious but almost a secondary aspect. To me, if the system is not geared for the long haul (beyond one lifetime), it is a drop in the bucket compared to a system that is. If I want a system strictly for health I would choose rebounding over any qigong system I have EVER seen (minutes spent). Of course, I combine the two and do Stillness-Movement rebounding. :lol:

• Like 2

c'mon, Ya Mu. are you serious? the Wuji that Garripoli teaches (Wuji Hundun Qigong) is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT form, not even close to the primordial Wuji that Winn and Rubbo teach. AND, Garripoli doesn't teach it very well, if you ask me. a student would have to learn the stiff, uninspired form from Garripoli, and then watch the documentary and hope that they can learn the freedom & spontaneity aspects from short clips of master Duan. most people just end up getting a good stretch, and the form never comes alive for them.

Primordial Wuji, on the other hand, is a different animal entirely. i would recommend Winn's video over Rubbo's. it's a lot easier to learn than you think. it's the series of turns that makes it look complicated, but once you understand that part (which he explains in about 5 minutes easily), it's not at all difficult.

as a newbie, i would start with spring forest qigong for a lot of reasons. whoever told you that the system had no juice was smoking crack. it's the opposite, and anyone with experience can just look at the movements and see why. the movements will energize you and awaken your awareness to the energy faster than most other systems out there. it's ALL about moving and gathering energy; there are ZERO moves for stretching or anything like that. you will probably develop sensitivity to the energy within your first 3 practice sessions. ALSO, he's very free and open in his approach, which keeps you open and not bogged down with dogma that says "you have to do it this way." that's an important quality when starting out.

I did realize that these were different forms. I will defer to you on that judgement. I spent 3 days with Master Duan and that is what I was basing my opinion on. I was told that Garripoli had spent quite some time with Duan learning these so I assumed that he could do them well. But we know what assume means don't we. So my apologies to the OP. Let me re-phrase. I like the wuji form as presented by Master Duan better than Winn's form, although we are comparing apples to oranges. I like Winn personally, but Duan's form is the movement form I would do if I wasn't already doing what I consider a much more energetic form, the Gift of the Tao. Perhaps I was just overly influenced by that old man.

• Like 1

I did realize that these were different forms. I will defer to you on that judgement. I spent 3 days with Master Duan and that is what I was basing my opinion on. I was told that Garripoli had spent quite some time with Duan learning these so I assumed that he could do them well. But we know what assume means don't we. So my apologies to the OP. Let me re-phrase. I like the wuji form as presented by Master Duan better than Winn's form, although we are comparing apples to oranges. I like Winn personally, but Duan's form is the movement form I would do if I wasn't already doing what I consider a much more energetic form, the Gift of the Tao. Perhaps I was just overly influenced by that old man.

right on, i would totally agree with you there. :) Master Duan is why i chose the name Hundun as my handle here on Tao Bums. i think it's amazing, and i teach it to students all the time, but what Garripoli presents on the instructional video is stripped of everything that makes Wuji Hundun what it is. it might be the fault of the company, GAIAM, and his workshops might be better, but the video is a real disservice to the system, IMO.

he mentions mixing up the moves, and that's about it. no whole body breathing, no fluid and changeable expression WITHIN each movement, no real element of natural flow. it's an exercise video, NOT a qigong video.

• Like 1

Mo Pai because I saw a video of a guy igniting a newspaper with his hands thus that is the only working system, only practice worth pursuing. Oh I heard you can jump over houses too. I want to be Goku!

Thanks. I hope you're not simply kidding. In any case, Mo Pai is not accessible to people so that would be the biggest Con I guess. I wonder though is there something that is accessible and comparable to its effects like Mo Pai or Wang Liping's system?

You may also consider taking my July 24,25 workshop in Missouri and learning Stillness-Movement qigong. A workshop immersion can put you to a place significantly further than several months/years with a "course" or DVD. Also you can consider my Gift of the Tao movement qigong DVD. It is a very powerful movement form. Later this summer I am releasing Gift of the Tao 2 movement qigong DVD, so to start now with Gift 1 would put you to a nice place for 2.

Thank you. I would like to check out your system but at this point, I am leaning more towards those systems/teachers who think their system can be learnt from a DVD, like for example Spring Forest.

[quote name='Hundun' date='17 June 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1276802910' ...

he mentions mixing up the moves, and that's about it. no whole body breathing, no fluid and changeable expression WITHIN each movement, no real element of natural flow. it's an exercise video, NOT a qigong video.

Sorry to hear that. I have never seen it, but have talked with Garripoli and he seems nice a really good fellow and he should know qigong very well. I would have thought he would be a good representative of that form. But it doesn't always translate from teacher to student. Is there anyone that has a DVD of Duan's form that does translate it well?. Why don't you make one?

• Like 1

Thank you. I would like to check out your system but at this point, I am leaning more towards those systems/teachers who think their system can be learnt from a DVD, like for example Spring Forest.

Cool, then get it and start practicing - don't delay.

But realize no DVD is going to be the same as with the Teacher. Suggest you play with the form then try to attend classes with him. I have met him and he seems to be a really nice fellow.

• Like 1

I like to keep it simple. Michael Winn from the Healing Tao USA had an easy Chi gung form on his Fundamentals II DVD. I got the DVD, also learned it from him at a seminar. I usually only do the first 3 moves of the set, Ocean breathing, Sun & moon, Crossing the Ocean. Then I'll do the very simple Pan Gu chi gung.

Pro's real simple. Pan Gu is as simple a medical chi gung form as I can imagine. Win's movements are very energetic, its pretty clear what pathways the moves are 'aimed' at. Ocean Breathing all by itself is a great practice. There's a good physical component to them. Crossing the Ocean flexes, strengthens and relaxes the back.

The video's aren't too expensive, there's little spiritual baggage in the system (none required anyway), HT teachers aren't too hard to find.

Con's. I haven't studied many forms. Most are longer and more complex, they may well be more complete and go deeper. But I'm Keep It Short & Simple kind of guy.

Sometimes a local school teaching Tai Chi, Chi gung or yoga is the best, because its live, there's feedback, personal attention and depth of teaching that can't be done on video or at a seminar.

Michael

Thanks Michael. Is Winn's Pangu the same as Pangu Mystical Qigong or Pangu Shengong by Ou wei which has three levels - physical, mental and condensed?

as a newbie, i would start with spring forest qigong for a lot of reasons. whoever told you that the system had no juice was smoking crack. it's the opposite, and anyone with experience can just look at the movements and see why. the movements will energize you and awaken your awareness to the energy faster than most other systems out there. it's ALL about moving and gathering energy; there are ZERO moves for stretching or anything like that in the actual form part. you will probably develop sensitivity to the energy within your first 3 practice sessions. ALSO, he's very free and open in his approach, which keeps you open and not bogged down with dogma that says "you have to do it this way." that's an important quality when starting out.

EDIT:

if you want a little more, the best i've ever seen on video for beginning practice is Jerry Alan Johnson. His video is outstanding. his movements are PERFECT and effortless. Plus you get some really good theory and internal structure lessons.

for the money it might be the best buy out there. i personally think everyone should own it. ;)

Thanks Hundun. I have always heard good stuff about JAJ. Will be sure to check him out. For some reason, I assumed his form is very difficult, but that doesn't seem to be the case?

Naah - his is a vegetarian system.

I just read this and took it as a negative on Spring Forest qigong. Probably I misread the statement here.

My favorite Chi kung system is my favorite and the reason I like it is because it's the greatest. :)

Edited by Starjumper7
  • Like 1

best comment ever

I recommend Rubbo's Primordial, especially for your goals.

It's cheaper, and also is more accurate than Winn's version.

A complaint in the past was that it's hard to learn from an ebook, but Rubbo just came out with videos showing the entire form on youtube. You could essentially learn it for free, but I think there is good detail in the ebook.

The form takes about 20 minutes to perform. That is not much time at all.

My favorite Chi kung system is Tien Shan Chi Kung (actually a nei kung) and the reason I like it is because it's the greatest. :)

Thank you. Can you please point me to some resources to read more about this system?

I recommend Rubbo's Primordial, especially for your goals.

It's cheaper, and also is more accurate than Winn's version.

A complaint in the past was that it's hard to learn from an ebook, but Rubbo just came out with videos showing the entire form on youtube. You could essentially learn it for free, but I think there is good detail in the ebook.

The form takes about 20 minutes to perform. That is not much time at all.

Thanks Scotty. I find your posts on this forum very practical and helpful. Thanks again.

For a beginner, do you think it is easier to learn from Winn's video and then refine the form by reading the book and using Rubbo's youtube videos?

Cool, then get it and start practicing - don't delay.

But realize no DVD is going to be the same as with the Teacher. Suggest you play with the form then try to attend classes with him. I have met him and he seems to be a really nice fellow.

Ya Mu, cannot disagree with you one bit! I want to start off something on the energetic levels in addition to anapana, zen style of meditation that I currently do. I will surely want to look at your DVD as well? Would you have a youtube video or something of the form? Is it easy enough to learn from a video and practice right till I can train with you or another teacher of the form? Thanks.

I've been thinking about the ? of this thread some...

Obviously I bop around a lot amongst systems. What I like that is stabilizing and simple, useful and important I think, is to understand principles because the basic principles and mechanics of being human are the same whatever system you are practicing. And if you have an understanding of basic ideas of what needs to accomplished re: "organic mechanics" then it provides a lot of support for getting the most out of what you're practicing.

I also think that for most people who are into this for their entire lives, likely you'll work with at least several systems over time. Don't get too hung up on choosing the absolutely best one: pick one that's good, and dig in. :)

Don't get too hung up on choosing the absolutely best one: pick one that's good, and dig in. :)

Golden words. Thanks Trunk. I hope I can firmly stick to this advice. By the way greatly enjoying the alchemical taoism site listed in your signature.