Non

100 days laying the foundation

well I've been "conserving" for about 3 months... but I'm sure this is not what's referred to as 'laying the foundation'. So I'm asking for instructions as to how to go about it. What is the "100 days of laying the foundation"? Where can I find information, and instructions as to how to do it?

Serious discussion only.

Regards

Edited by Non

well I've been "conserving" for about 3 months... but I'm sure this is not what's referred to as 'laying the foundation'. So I'm asking for instructions as to how to go about it. What is the "100 days of laying the foundation"? Where can I find information, and instructions as to how to do it?

Serious discussion only.

Regards

Try my book "100 Days to Better Health, Good Sex & Long Life- A Guide to Chi Kung & Taoist Yoga".

The entire book is dedicated to answering your question.

Eric Yudelove

Foundation building should always involve simple, but powerful practices.

One of the best is Wall Squats.

You build up to having your feet together, pressed up against the wall in front of you... and in the most relaxed way possible to lower yourself at a steady pace into a deep squat... then similarly - in a slow, controlled pace lift back up. There are many explanations online and videos on Youtube. The exercise is great - and will quickly make your energy strong, open you up physically, and move the qi throughout your body...

Couple it with with some joint rotation exercises - like Intuflow - which will work to dredge up stuck energy and seal up joints leaking qi... and some standing and you'll have a very powerful foundation.

Don't do too much at once - start slowly and build up. Consistent practice is the most important aspect of building a foundation.

Have fun with it and enjoy doing it (rather than planning it). :)

A snippit from Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming's "Embryonic Breathing" ... perhaps this is what you're interested in.

"

Refine the Essence and Convert it into Qi

This first step is also called: "One Hundred Days of Building the Foundation" (Bai Ri Zhu Ji). Daoists always visualize the achievement of englightenment in terms of forming a "Spiritual Embryo" (Ling Tai) or "Holy Embryo" (Sheng Tai), and then its feeding, nursing, and education until it can be independent. For many Xi Sui Jing laymen practitioners who are looking only for longevity, this spiritual baby is considered a "baby elixir" which will lead them to longenvity. It is believed that the heahlthy and harmonious interaction of Yin and Yang Qi is necessary to form this spiritual baby. Yin is considered the mother while Yang is considered the father. In order to make this happen, Yin and Yang Qi must be abundant, and both the mother (yin) and father (Yang) must be strong enough to balance each other. In order to obtain abundant Yin Qi and Yang Qi in your body, you must learn the methods of building up these two Qis. In order to make Yin and Yang interact harmoniously, you must also learn how to adjust Kan (water) and Li (fire). Therefore, in this stage, you are leading both Yang and Yin Qi to Huang Ying (i.e. Yellow Yard), and causing them to interact harmoniously. This process is called "Kan and Li".

"

Again, just a slice from an introductory chapter... He goes into a tremendous amount of depth in those that follow... But if this appears to be what you're looking for, I suggest you track down this book... Or if Eric Yudelove feels confident about his offering, perhaps defer to him.. I can only speak for this book personally though.

best.

balance.

Foundation building should always involve simple, but powerful practices.

One of the best is Wall Squats.

You build up to having your feet together, pressed up against the wall in front of you... and in the most relaxed way possible to lower yourself at a steady pace into a deep squat... then similarly - in a slow, controlled pace lift back up. There are many explanations online and videos on Youtube. The exercise is great - and will quickly make your energy strong, open you up physically, and move the qi throughout your body...

Couple it with with some joint rotation exercises - like Intuflow - which will work to dredge up stuck energy and seal up joints leaking qi... and some standing and you'll have a very powerful foundation.

Don't do too much at once - start slowly and build up. Consistent practice is the most important aspect of building a foundation.

Have fun with it and enjoy doing it (rather than planning it). :)

I remember attending hockey camps in my younger days where the wall-sit was the preferred method of punishment... Sitting wall style with a few other ne’er-do-wells.. passing weight plates back and forth for the duration of the sentence... awfully fond of those memories...

.. and I'm especially drawn to your "Have fun with it and enjoy doing it (rather than planning it). :)" ... tremendous advice. I too have always tried to maintain a sense of childhood exploration/joy/fluidity when pursuing various physical regimens.. but of course that attitude needn't and shouldn't apply only to the affairs of "Workout World" ..

balance.

Edited by balance.

so laying the foundation is just 100 days straight of qigong and meditation, with complete celibacy.. it can be done with any meditative and qigong practices as long as there is a considerable amount each day and it just builds up.

I thought it was a specific practice..

So basics could just be MCO everyday, with for example spring forest qigong.

Isn't it more than just qigong though? I thought it also included specific neigong practices.

Edited by Non

Its used for different types of qi qong. You practise one method for 100 days , without ejaculating. Then you have layed the foundation to work on.

By 100 days you should have got your body to a reasonably healthy state and restored most of the vitality and qi that had been lost through wasting jing. A young , healthy person may require less that 100 days and a weaker person may require more. Some styles of qi qong require up to 600 days!

MCO or srping forest is good to clear the pathways and turn the jing into qi and its also a safe method.

Good luck!

.. and I'm especially drawn to your "Have fun with it and enjoy doing it (rather than planning it). :)" ... tremendous advice. I too have always tried to maintain a sense of childhood exploration/joy/fluidity when pursuing various physical regimens.. but of course that attitude needn't and shouldn't apply only to the affairs of "Workout World" ..

balance.

:)

Planning is very seductive to the mind... so it's funny to see that certain people spend 90% of their time planning, and when they get down to the 10% doing, it just doesn't live up to the fantasies made up during the planning stage, so they go back to planning. Microcosmic orbits, immortal fetuses, alchemy etc are all such alluring ideas - but what it always comes down to is doing your practice - which starts simple, but has the most powerful effect.

Now let's see if we can get away from planning and start doing... and having fun with it! Even punishments are fun apparently! :P

• Thanks 1

From what i understand "Laying the foundation" is normally characterized by the following:

*Celibacy for 3 - 4 months.

*Regulated diet, mind, thoughts, life.

*Bringing the Lower Dan Tien to light or activating it or filling it; not literally.

*Opening the Microcosmic Orbit

In most practices this can be done by adhering to the above and, but not limited to:

30mins - 60 mins of sitting meditation, during which time a mild, soft, loving concentration is directed at the point about three finger widths below the belly button towards the middle of the body. Thoughts are ceased. The breath combined with love and attention is directed to the lower Dan Tien.

The Qi follows the mind, so by placing the thought on the LDT and remaining celibate or not the Jing and Qi will concentrate in the cavity and grow until it pulses, heats up, vibrates.

Next to doing your sitting meditation i recommend a moving Qi Gong that will take care of the main organs.

So in a nutshell. Sit on your ass and concentrate on a small area below your bellybutton until the universe reveals it'self. Match your breath to a 5:5, 10:10 second inhale:exhale.

I am very curious though Non.

How is it that u have nearly 500 posts yet are asking for such, well... basic instructions? - What have you being doing till now lol

Unless this whole thread is some sort of a joke that i obviously aren't getting.

How is it that u have nearly 500 posts yet are asking for such, well... basic instructions? - What have you being doing till now lol

Unless this whole thread is some sort of a joke that i obviously aren't getting.

Some people are indecisive, you know. I'm pretty indecisive.

You don't have to be committed to a path to write a post.

And you know, basics are everything. You can spend a lot of time thinking you know what you are doing, then you realize you don't, then you gotta go back to basics. And then you have questions related to basics. But you feel awkward posting about them because you already have a lot of posts and you don't want people to think you are stupid for asking such basic questions.....

I've contemplated making a new account so I can ask "basic" questions without fear of ridicule :ph34r:

(yeah and the above was totally serious....)

I've contemplated making a new account so I can ask "basic" questions without fear of ridicule :ph34r:

I find that I often feel embarrassingly :blush: childishly-down-to-basics ridiculous after big break-throughs, partly because big break-throughs tend to be around "the basics". Fact is that none of us get basics to full depth the first time through; they go deeper and deeper through the years.

• Thanks 1

No it's just that I've only seen threads here about the 100 days of laying the foundation but not the method itself.

And really I don't have much time to be going everywhere reading everything I can about the subject of taoism, heh, at least right now. I just want to focus on one thing, since I've got other things to do in my life. Besides everyone has their own method which can be confusing at times. And everything in taoism is in like code language.. I guess the only way to be one is to study everything written about taoism, and every taoist book and stuff to get an idea of the common themes and common code words and phrases being talked about.

At this point what are your specific questions?

Edited by Spectrum

so laying the foundation is just 100 days straight of qigong and meditation, with complete celibacy.. it can be done with any meditative and qigong practices as long as there is a considerable amount each day and it just builds up.

I thought it was a specific practice..

So basics could just be MCO everyday, with for example spring forest qigong.

Isn't it more than just qigong though? I thought it also included specific neigong practices.

Within this context, laying the foundation is 100 days of Embryonic Breathing... This practice helps to establish the real lower dan tien (as different from the false lower dan tien three finger lengths below the navel) as the real center of power in the body. Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming says that only at this center can qi be gathered and stored to "abundant" levels. The strong powering of this bio-electric battery provides the stable foundation that is required for higher level internal constructions.

balance.

Edited by balance.

I find that I often feel embarrassingly :blush: childishly-down-to-basics ridiculous after big break-throughs, partly because big break-throughs tend to be around "the basics". Fact is that none of us get basics to full depth the first time through; they go deeper and deeper through the years.

Hear hear

Within this context, laying the foundation is 100 days of Embryonic Breathing... This practice helps to establish the real lower dan tien (as different from the false lower dan tien three finger lengths below the navel) as the real center of power in the body. Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming says that only at this center can qi be gathered and stored to "abundant" levels. The strong powering of this bio-electric battery provides the stable foundation that is required for higher level internal constructions.

balance.

Could you go more into the distinction between the "real" and "false" dantiens? I've heard those names thrown about before, but I don't know too much detail about them.

In Taoist Yoga, they say to do this from 11pm-1am, since at this time you can best work on the MCO with the breath.

Could you go more into the distinction between the "real" and "false" dantiens? I've heard those names thrown about before, but I don't know too much detail about them.

To avoid confusion and user based interpretive error.. I'll quote directly from the text Embryonic Breathing by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming.

Recognizing the Yin Center of the Upper Dan Tian and the Yang Center of the Real Lower Dan Tian

The first step of Embryonic Breathing is to recognize the Yin center of the Upper Dan Tian (Yin Shen) and the Yang center of the Real Lower Dan Tian (Yang Quan). As explained before, the upper Yin center is able to stabilize and control the status of Yang Shen's manifestation (Yang Shen) while the lower Yang center is the origin of the Yin water's production (Yin Shui). The recognition of these two cetners must be accomplished through the self-inner-feeling, which is the only way to lead your Shen and Qi to these centers are keep them there.

The exact location of the Yin center in the Upper Dan Tian (Shang Dan Tian) is at the central bottom of the Spiritual Valley (Shen Gu) where the pineal gland the pituitary gland are located. This is the center of the Mud Pill Palace (Ni Wan Gong) and is the center of the spiritual residence (Shen Shi // Upper Dan Tian). IT is located at the central point of the line connecting the top part of the two ears and also the central point of the line connecting with the Yintang (M-HN-3) and Qiangjian (Gv-18). To recognize this point through feeling, you must rid yourself of all emotional disturbances and also the external attractions of the mind. In this case, your mind will be clear and easily search for the location. If you search for it sincerely, it will take only a few days for you to recognize the point.

The exact location of the Yang center in the Real Lower Dan TIan (Zhen Xia Dan Tian) is where the center of the large and small intestines is located, namely a couple of inches above the physical center of gravity. In fact, the entire digestive system constitutes the "Real Lower Dan Tian." If you are able to find the center of this system, then you are able to keep the Qi there and store it to an abundant level. The Yang center is located behind the Yinjiao (Co-7) and in front of the cavity Shiqizhuixia (M-BW-25 // Below the 17th vertebrae). In fact, it is at the center of these two cavities. Again, if you search for this point when you meditate, you should be able to find it in a few days or weeks.

"

Many pictures are included that provide invaluable visual reference to help you zero in on these points, but as Dr. Yang points out, it's only after you locate them yourself in the truest sense that you're able to make use of them.

I'll include also a passage on the mechanics of Embryonic Breathing.

"

Embryonic Breathing (Cavity Breathing) (Wuji Breathing)

The above two breathing techniques [The good Doctor discussed taoist and buddhist breathing methods.. for those unfamiliar, I suggest you do some personal digging] enable you to produce more Qi in your body. However, if you do not know how to store the extra Qi in the Real Lower Dan Tian (Bio-Battery), this extra Qi will be led to the physical body and manifested (consumed). To store the Qi to an abudant level, you need the method of Embryonic Breathing.

In order to store the Qi in the human bio-battery, you must first recognize the center of the Real Lower Dan TIan through feeling correctly and learning to keep your mind there. When your mind is in the Real Lower Dan Tian, the Qi will not be led away from its residence. To conserve Qi, by keeping the mind at the Real Lower Dan TIan (Yi Shou Dan Tian) is the crucial key to success.

The way to keep the mind at the Real Lower Dan Tian so the Qi can be led there is through the movement of the front abdominal area and also the lower back area at the same time. The front abdominal area (Navel or Yinjiao cavity) is called "Sheng Men" and means "the door of life," while the rear lower back area is called "Bi Hu" and means "the closed door," which implies the Mingmen (GV-4) cavity between L2 and L3. Through this balanced front and back movement, you are able to locate the center (Yang Water) easily. Naturally, your mind will be at these two front and back places at the beginning. However, after you have practiced for a period of time and have reached the stage of "regulating without regulating," the mind will be at the center easily.

That means when you practice Embryonic Breathing, the first step is to find the above two doors and move them up and down [contracting and expanding] at the same time. Naturally, extra Qi will be produced at both the front and the rear. While you are doing so, you must also coordinate with the up-down movements of the Huiyin (Co-1) or anus. Soon you will feel the Qi in the entire Girdle Vessel expanding and withdrawing at the same time.

The most amazing part of the practice is that, through these movements, the production of insulin hormone from the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas, DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) in the adrenal glands, and testosterone (male) and estrogen and progesterone (female) in the sex glands can be regulated and possible increased. This is due to the stimulation of the glands through the exercises.

In addition, when you practice Embryonic Breathing, other than placing your mind at the Yang center of the Real Lower Dan Tian, you must also place your mind at the Yin center of the Upper Dan Tian. You should remember that the Uper Dan Tian and the Real Lower Dan Tian are the two Polarities of the central energy line. They correspond and synchronize with each other simultaneously. Though they are two places, they are the two faces of the same thing and cannot be separated. Remember, the Shen and the Qi are just like son and mother which cannot be separated when you practice Embryonic Breathing.

When this happens, due to the mind concentrating at the Yin center of the Upper Dan Tian, the production of melatonin (pineal gland) and growth hormone (pituitary gland) will also be regulated and increased. With these hormones, all of the biochemical reactions will become smooth and the metabolism of the body can be regulated and improved.

The final stage of Embryonic Breathing is to bring the Shen downward to the Real Lower Dan Tian, so the Shen and Qi can be united at the Real Lower Dan Tian. When this happens, the Qi can stay at its residence, and be stored to a very high level. This is called "mutual harmonization or unification of Shen and Qi" (Shen Qi Xiang He). In this case, the two polarities have unified and become a singularity. That means the Wuji state, the beginning of life. That is why I call this stage of Embryonic Breathing "Wuji Breathing" (Wuji Xi). Naturally, the way of leading the Shen down to the Real Lower Dan Tian is through the concentrated mind with the coordination of the breathing.

"

I apologize for any slight grammatical errors, and hope those interested will find this snippit helpful.

balance.

so the lower dan-tian IS where I thought it would be. It's the Hara, or Belly, not just the point 3 inches below the navel.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=571

embryonic_breathing-2.gif

But... I already knew that, so it doesn't change much.

And I'm guessing that 3 inches below the navel is still correct, as that's usually where the center of the dantian is located, but it still expands from deep within the body in all directions encompassing the entire lower abdomen.

but there's just so many points in my entire abdomen that feel like "a spot of interest" because of a particular feeling that's found there, and some connections to that spot... usually where I feel certain digestive processes going on, so many times I just go from spot to spot, not really knowing which is the Real Dan-Tian. It would be nice to know the exact feeling it's supposed to give you when you've found it.

Also, what if one's belly sags a bit.. does that mean that the center might be a bit more above than what is shown in pictures showing the surface of the skin of a muscular cut up abdomen?

Edited by Non

weird.. I feel de ja vu from reading your post balance.

Edited by Non