Sign in to follow this  
TommyRyukyu

Karate Kid

My Wife, and I saw it yesterday. It exceeded expectations as it's always a gamble when Hollywood remakes a previous story line. She had seen a report that it was Jackie Chan's first dramatic role. I thought he did pretty well, and there were areas of China that have never been filmed before. Thoughts/Opinions?

Be Well,

Tommy

By the way, it was nice to see some information on the understanding of the inner arts weaved into the story.

Edited by TommyRyukyu

I also enjoyed it more than I expected, especially the excursion to the "Taoist mountain."

The "evil master" looked familiar...it turns out that he was The Iron Monkey (Dr. Yang)in the film of the same title.

The kid who played Jaden Smith's adversary was quite good. His facial expressions reminded me of a young Bolo!

It's a sad day when a film called 'karate kid' is set in China with Jackie chan doing Kung fu.

I liked the originals, I like Jackie chan too, but still, kind of wrong to call it Karate Kid. I've not seen it yet. Sounds pretty interesting though from the comments.

Wax on, wax off!

Come on, people, this is Hollywood... The name is that way because it's a copy of the same theme as the first.

Most people in America think Kung Fu is a specific style, like Muay Thai or Hsing I or soemthing. If you said Kung Fu Kid that would be even worse.

Come on, people, this is Hollywood... The name is that way because it's a copy of the same theme as the first.

Most people in America think Kung Fu is a specific style, like Muay Thai or Hsing I or soemthing. If you said Kung Fu Kid that would be even worse.

I get your point about the hollywood thing, but 'Karate' is also not a specific style. Might as well have called it Martial Arts kid.

I hope there not calling Jackie Chan Mr.Miyagi too. :o

I agree with you. There is a huge difference between Karate and KF and within KF styles as well.

I dislike this title. They should have used a more realistic one, but again it is Hollywood.

I'd rather watch mainland Chinese products (Wu Xia), like for example the recent IP Man and IP Man 2 which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

It's a sad day when a film called 'karate kid' is set in China with Jackie chan doing Kung fu.

I heard that it might have been a copyright thing. The rights to the title "Kung Fu Kid" or something along those lines I think had already been purchased by someone else, and they couldn't come up with some other title along those lines.

And seeing as how it was a remake of a culturally well known story.... eh, "Karate Kid."

I think culturally everyone knows the difference between "karate" and "kung fu", even if their image of "kung fu" is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or someone like Jackie Chan...... oh, wait, Jackie Chan's IN the movie, good, so everyone will pretty much pick up on the "kung fu" thing.

If they don't, they have bigger problems.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet." - William Shakespeare

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

My wife and I went to see it (my wife is Chinese) and we thought it was so-so. This movie was a cookie cutter remake of the first one. Almost everything was the same. I would rather have seen a Karate Kid 4 rather than a remake of the first. Also didn't care for the kissing scene of the two 12 year old kids. Also, the mean teacher is out of character for China. I've never seen such a school in China and if there were such a teacher, most would not let their kids study there.

Unrealistic and poor remake.

There's also a difference between the "kung fu" wushu taught at Shaolin, and what you see in movies and the real traditional kung fu that was banned in China during the communist invasion.

Edited by Non

I agree with you. There is a huge difference between Karate and KF and within KF styles as well.

I dislike this title. They should have used a more realistic one, but again it is Hollywood.

I'd rather watch mainland Chinese products (Wu Xia), like for example the recent IP Man and IP Man 2 which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Hm yeah I loved both IP MAN movies. Although I dont think the REAL IP MAN would have a problem with a boxer like that.

Cause I am a consumer, and optimist Lol.

Hm yeah I loved both IP MAN movies.

Yes, they are excellent movies!

Although I dont think the REAL IP MAN would have a problem with a boxer like that.

Chinese martial arts don't have a very good track record when it comes to stuff like that......

Then again, it depends on who's keeping score. Ask the Chinese and they'll tell you one thing. Ask a non-Chinese and they'll tell you another.

So who knows?

*Slight Spoiler!*

I watched it, enjoyed it for the most part, but the end of the tournament, the last move he does I found disappointing because it just didn't fit in with the rest of the kung fu in the movie. But well I guess they wanted a flashy ending. Also the jacket on off thing, I just don't think that would teach him skills he could readily apply, as he did, like wax on wax off and paint the fence from Karate kid.

I enjoyed THE KUNG FU KID, Just some small picky complaints, but nothing movie breaking :lol:

*Slight Spoiler!*

I watched it, enjoyed it for the most part, but the end of the tournament, the last move he does I found disappointing because it just didn't fit in with the rest of the kung fu in the movie. But well I guess they wanted a flashy ending. Also the jacket on off thing, I just don't think that would teach him skills he could readily apply, as he did, like wax on wax off and paint the fence from Karate kid.

I enjoyed THE KUNG FU KID, Just some small picky complaints, but nothing movie breaking :lol:

*spoiler*

haha - yes when he did the snake stance.. i was like "oh man oh man, now hes gonna do some incredible fast as lighting snake hit" - and then he did what he did lol - and for a moment i was like, hold up wait - can a snake do that O_o haha

So yes i was a little disappointed with the finish myself : D

I saw it with my Son (11) and Daughter (9).

We all enjoyed it.

fun fight scene with Jackie Chan (Mr Han) making a bunch of Kung Fu kids beat eachother up while trying to attack him. Typical Chan slapstick, always fun.

Many good messages for kids, probably adults too.

One quote I liked, "an Empty mind is not the same thing at all as a still mind" Bad paraphrase I'm sure, but a good message.

Yeah, the winning kick was totally over the top (literally and figuratively). But the concept of winning through better control of your mind, through inner stillness, is a great lesson to take to my son and our training.

The lesson of being respectful to your parents may seem cliche' but it is still valuable.

The Bad Man teaching brutal Kung Fu may not be possible in Beijing, but hey, that is the story element which is inseparable from the story line, without which you wouldn't have the same story.

In the end we must remember this is hollywood, it is entertainment. Take what value you can from it. Ask the question, "does this send a positive message to non initiates?" In my view it does.

PS - Did anyone else think a couple of the Mountain shots from Wudang were actually Huashan? I haven't been to Wudang so I'm not sure, but a couple of the shots of sheer granite cliffs really looked like Huashan to me.

Craig

I hope Hollywood continues to create more movies with these themes. Maybe it will get the general public more interested in the lifestyle of the way, and ignite the appetite for learning more about the benefits of the Taoist path. :ph34r:

Edited by TommyRyukyu

Sign in to follow this