PsiNomad

Tulku Lobsang Rinpoche

Hi,

I am looking into some retreats with Tulku Lobsang Rinpoche (http://www.tulkulamalobsang.org/) . Do you have any experience with this Tibetian teacher.?

Thanks .

PsiNomad

I guess you are looking for more dogma.

ralis

I am looking into some retreats with Tulku Lobsang Rinpoche (http://www.tulkulamalobsang.org/) . Do you have any experience with this Tibetan teacher.?

I don't have experience with him.

Impressive bio!, though. Training in medicine, astrology, martial, some of the deeper Tibetan mystical practices, since an early age.

I don't have experience with him.

Impressive bio!, though. Training in medicine, astrology, martial, some of the deeper Tibetan mystical practices, since an early age.

I am looking into Tummo/Bliss retreat.

Thanks for any input.

PsiNomad

Hi,

I am looking into some retreats with Tulku Lobsang Rinpoche (http://www.tulkulamalobsang.org/) . Do you have any experience with this Tibetian teacher.?

Thanks .

PsiNomad

I think I vaguely remember him being mentioned on E-Sangha as legit, but a little unconventional. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I think I vaguely remember him being mentioned on E-Sangha as legit, but a little unconventional. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks. Appreciate your info.

PsiNomad

Hi,

Thanks .

PsiNomad

Is it customary for retreat organizers to answer email and phone? If not, it should be. Then you can interview these folks directly and decide for yourself if they are worth your time. You can ask them in advance what they are and aren't willing to teach, how they teach, and what their priories are.

I would suggest that if the retreat organizer is not willing to come down to Earth and talk willingly, openly and forthrightly about their offering, it's not worth the bother. I would avoid it as I would any cultish organization. I'm not exactly against cults either, but there has to be some honesty. You can't be both a cult and a public organization. You have to pick one and stick to it.

So, have you tried giving these people a call or sending them an email? I would try that. If they snub you, or act in any way cagey with information, don't bother going.

Edited by goldisheavy

Is it customary for retreat organizers to answer email and phone? If not, it should be. Then you can interview these folks directly and decide for yourself if they are worth your time. You can ask them in advance what they are and aren't willing to teach, how they teach, and what their priories are.

I would suggest that if the retreat organizer is not willing to come down to Earth and talk willingly, openly and forthrightly about their offering, it's not worth the bother. I would avoid it as I would any cultish organization. I'm not exactly against cults either, but there has to be some honesty. You can't be both a cult and a public organization. You have to pick one and stick to it.

So, have you tried giving these people a call or sending them an email? I would try that. If they snub you, or act in any way cagey with information, don't bother going.

You are assuming that retreat organizer = the teacher, but in most cases that's not true. Teachers rarely organize events themselves. And I also doubt they're available much to people who aren't their students. Retreat organizers however, should be. But then you should understand that they may not necessarily know the answers to all these questions, since like I said, they're not the teacher. Here I guess what matters is, is whether the organizer is newbie or a vet. With the former it's pretty unlikely he'll be able to offer you good answers.

You are assuming that retreat organizer = the teacher, but in most cases that's not true. Teachers rarely organize events themselves.

Usually they are abducted by the retreat organizers.

And I also doubt they're available much to people who aren't their students.

This may be true. Retreat organizers should be able to reveal this information in the interview you can give them over the phone or in email.

Retreat organizers however, should be. But then you should understand that they may not necessarily know the answers to all these questions, since like I said, they're not the teacher. Here I guess what matters is, is whether the organizer is newbie or a vet. With the former it's pretty unlikely he'll be able to offer you good answers.

If the retreat organizers have only a tenuous and uncertain connection with the teacher, then I suggest the retreat should be avoided. It's not complicated. There is no need to hope for anything. Everything is obvious when you pay attention.

If the teacher is going to be open to you, the teacher is going to be even more open to the retreat organizers. If retreat organizers, who have a lot more chance of being close to the teacher, demonstrate that they hardly know anything about their teacher and what their teacher likes/dislikes and intends on doing, it's a strong and clear sign that the retreat is a waste of time, because the teacher is either emotionally closed off or incompetent.

If the teacher didn't share anything with the retreat organizers, chances are excellent he or she will share nothing with you. So you can indeed get everything you want to know about the teacher present at the retreat from the retreat organizers.

Edited by goldisheavy

If the teacher is going to be open to you, the teacher is going to be even more open to the retreat organizers. If retreat organizers, who have a lot more chance of being close to the teacher, demonstrate that they hardly know anything about their teacher and what their teacher likes/dislikes and intends on doing, it's a strong and clear sign that the retreat is a waste of time, because the teacher is either emotionally closed off or incompetent.

If the teacher didn't share anything with the retreat organizers, chances are excellent he or she will share nothing with you. So you can indeed get everything you want to know about the teacher present at the retreat from the retreat organizers.

Perfectly logical conclusion, imo...

Usually they are abducted by the retreat organizers.

Say what? :lol:

If the retreat organizers have only a tenuous and uncertain connection with the teacher, then I suggest the retreat should be avoided.

Why?

For example, I know some people in the US who are students of Younge Khachab Rinpoche. I've never met him, but I only heard good things about him. So I decide to invite him to give teachings. He accepts and I organize the event. Now, why would people because of the fact that I don't have much of a past connection with this teacher use that as a reason to not come to the retreat? After all, they wouldn't be coming to listen to me - the retreat organizer, they'd be coming to listen to the teacher. And if they do use that as a reason and then attend a retreat with this teacher which is organized by his long time student instead, what is the difference?