Sign in to follow this  
DarthBane

Mainstream Taoism

Thanks for the post. Its undoubtedly true that few in the West who consider themselves Taoists here, would be considered such by traditional lineage Taoists. Thats not to say there's not treasures to learn from such a long varied teachings.

There was a long discussion here not too long ago about the lines you quote:

"Nature is unkind:

It treats the creation like sacrificial straw-dogs.

The Sage is unkind:

He treats the people like sacrificial straw-dogs. -Lao Tzu"

Some writers here posited that unkind may not be the right word, rather its impartial. That feels more accurate to my experience. Also some pointed out Straw-dogs are not without worth. They're carefully constructed and fulfill an important purpose, they're just not made to last and are discarded when through with.

Impartial feels more wu-wei then unkind. Giving proper respect and attention to whats on hand (creation and people) also feels more Taoish then treating things with disdain.

Michael

Thanks for the post. Its undoubtedly true that few in the West who consider themselves Taoists here, would be considered such by traditional lineage Taoists. Thats not to say there's not treasures to learn from such a long varied teachings.

There was a long discussion here not too long ago about the lines you quote:

"Nature is unkind:

It treats the creation like sacrificial straw-dogs.

The Sage is unkind:

He treats the people like sacrificial straw-dogs. -Lao Tzu"

Some writers here posited that unkind may not be the right word, rather its impartial. That feels more accurate to my experience. Also some pointed out Straw-dogs are not without worth. They're carefully constructed and fulfill an important purpose, they're just not made to last and are discarded when through with.

Impartial feels more wu-wei then unkind. Giving proper respect and attention to whats on hand (creation and people) also feels more Taoish then treating things with disdain.

Michael

Very interesting take on the verse. Nature is "wild" and without actual decision, except in the case of a predator acting on impulse. That is more instinct. Nature is many things, mostly untamed. If I could correct the translation I would go for a more eloquent word "instinctive" instead.

Some of Chinese Martial Arts can be like that if you have a decent instructor, once your internal viscera have been strengthened enough. That is not an advertisement for learning martial arts. On the contrary for some learning even the littlest thing makes them way over confident.

Straw dogs are vessels, shells. Straw is seen as small bamboo (bamboo is said to be like man, the spirit within), dogs are but clumsy and loyal to a fault. So although we all are straw dogs, our physical bodies are shells.

Nature is many things. Long and varied learning is only useful if practical.

By learning that nature itself emits certain magnetic fields (and I do not mean chi by what I say) one can learn to strengthen this field inside ones own body. This can be used to strengthen the blood flow and other vascular systems. But you would be hard pressed to try to teach it to yourself, and most people would have a hard time teaching anything to themselves due to their own paranoia or overthink.

This chapter of the DDJ is one of the most scary ones, especially for those who are strong moralizers... such as Confucians ( direct criticism at the time!), or today Christians, Muslims, even Buddhists...

Actually it is just about detachment, the idea that nothing and no one is eternal. All of the "ten thousand things" are going to die, they are not the Tao. It doesn't mean that we should not have respect or compassion for them, but we must consider them for what they are...

Excellent observation!

Peace & Love!

Actually it is just about detachment, the idea that nothing and no one is eternal. All of the "ten thousand things" are going to die, they are not the Tao. It doesn't mean that we should not have respect or compassion for them, but we must consider them for what they are...

HA ha! I enjoy this. I saw your name and I like puns very much. Also was good was the unicorn looking picture.

yes, just the reason why I used that verse. I was trying to accentuate about overconfidence but your words drive it home better.

But alas, this "electric written word box" is in here and the world is outside and calls. Adieu!

Sign in to follow this