I was told an interesting fact by a friend the other day: 'America has never attacked a country with a McDonalds'.

Bearing in mind it's much cheaper to get a McDonalds than to develop Nuclear weapons I think Mr. Kim Jong il has got it all wrong, instead of spending all his countries money on weapons and letting his people starve, he can kill two birds with one stone and open up a McDonalds. And instead of being on the 'axis of evil' he can be on the 'axis of Ronald McDonald'.

The path of least resistance

Here is an article I found when looking into the truth of the above fact, it can explain the theory much better than I can.

http://www.fresno.edu/scholars_speak/duane_ruth_heffelbower/07_26_2007.asp

Yep. Feed the belly and empty the mind.

Peace & Love!

The true tao of mickey D's :lol:

Make the belly smart and the brain stupid :lol:

Truly, mcdonnalds leave me feeling lethargic and lazy, uninspired, and lacking intuition.

OR is that just me? :lol:

The rainbow room: Biological warfare made "humane".

That is an association, not a causal relationship. So that argument means nothing, practically speaking. A fascinating and smart book that speaks to this isThe Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable.

That doesnt do anyone any good if they cant afford to buy things!

:lol:

The convenience of cash is so widely rlied upon that people so frequently forget that most of the world has NO money! :lol: It's asinine.

In their defence they do sometimes give some nice 'free' gifts. I got a lovely world cup glass recently, so that's gotta count for something :D

Not really. Their "food" is so unhealthy, it certainly has a big contribution to health problems such as obesity, diabetes, cardiac disease plaguing Americans. And their "Happy Meals" act as lures for kids to drag their mindless parents to get those tchotchkes they offer and start their obesity and ill health really early on in life. See news about a recent lawsuit regarding this very issue. Jeez, I can't believe educated people actually still eat there.

Not really. Their "food" is so unhealthy, it certainly has a big contribution to health problems such as obesity, diabetes, cardiac disease plaguing Americans. And their "Happy Meals" act as lures for kids to drag their mindless parents to get those tchotchkes they offer and start their obesity and ill health really early on in life. See news about a recent lawsuit regarding this very issue. Jeez, I can't believe educated people actually still eat there.

It's taken americans hundreds of rears to begin recognizing fraud.

So very telling as to the true intentions of the american government.

I was told an interesting fact by a friend the other day: 'America has never attacked a country with a McDonalds'.

Bearing in mind it's much cheaper to get a McDonalds than to develop Nuclear weapons I think Mr. Kim Jong il has got it all wrong, instead of spending all his countries money on weapons and letting his people starve, he can kill two birds with one stone and open up a McDonalds. And instead of being on the 'axis of evil' he can be on the 'axis of Ronald McDonald'.

The path of least resistance

That's not the path of least resistance, that the path of colonisation. Of course America doesn't attack his "colonies".

Our world is already too much globalized, I'd not push for McDonalds, I'd push to stop America starting wars!

Think about it

A fascinating and smart book that speaks to this isThe Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable.

From that link:

"Nassim argues that most of the really big events in our world are rare and unpredictable, and thus trying to extract generalizable stories to explain them may be emotionally satisfying, but it's practically useless. September 11th is one such example, and stock market crashes are another. Or, as he puts it, "History does not crawl, it jumps." Our assumptions grow out of the bell-curve predictability of what he calls "Mediocristan," while our world is really shaped by the wild powerlaw swings of "Extremistan.""

Very funny. 9/11 not only was predictable, intelligence reports said somehing like that would happen soon. And stock market crashes are VERY forseeable, too. And one thing that history definitely does is repeating itself.

Yes, a beautiful way of saying it more accurate: that it's never exact repetition, but always using some modifications reflecting the changing times, while the basic strategies remain the same.

From that link:

"Nassim argues that most of the really big events in our world are rare and unpredictable, and thus trying to extract generalizable stories to explain them may be emotionally satisfying, but it's practically useless. September 11th is one such example, and stock market crashes are another. Or, as he puts it, "History does not crawl, it jumps." Our assumptions grow out of the bell-curve predictability of what he calls "Mediocristan," while our world is really shaped by the wild powerlaw swings of "Extremistan.""

Very funny. 9/11 not only was predictable, intelligence reports said somehing like that would happen soon. And stock market crashes are VERY forseeable, too. And one thing that history definitely does is repeating itself.

No, Mr Owl, that is a misunderstanding of Nassim's argument. Dangerous to take a snippet out of context. It was predictable to some extent in hindsight. But even to that limited extent, the enormous psychological blow to the world's psyche certainly was not. Looking back, we see the clues, but they were ignored because they could not really conceive that such a thing was possible, otherwise the intelligence reports would have been heeded. Nassim is not saying that events have no cause- but that all the many thousands of days where no planes took out two skyscrapers lulled us into complacency and thus ignoring the signs. What, were you not surprised when you woke to the events of that morning, but said "Ah, just what I thought would happen!". C'mon, Mr. Owl...read more of something before you attempt to deconstruct incorrectly.

Now you show arrogance and assumptiveness.

The intelligence reports were not heeded because such an event was exactly that the Bush administration needed.

And when I saw the plane impacts on TV I neither had expected this to happen, nor did I think this could not happen. I just observed. Later, though, I learned that there actually are a few well- and early-informed people who DID expect this to happen. But the majority of people of course didn't even have the chance to ignore the 'signs', because these things are a matter of intelligence agencies and secrecy.

Edited by Hardyg

Imagine if the U.S. deployed Drew Hempel (in full lotus) to these proposed McDonalds in the "Axis of Evil"...world peace through "O at a D" bliss! Well, for the ladies anyway...(would it still work if they had clitoridectomies, as may happen in some of those places?).

However, I think he is opposed to global corporate dominion, so it wouldn't happen voluntarily...he'd have to be sent to Langley for a little re-programming!

Now you show arrogance and assumptiveness.

The intelligence reports were not heeded because such an event was exactly that the Bush administration needed.

And when I saw the plane impacts on TV I neither had expected this to happen, nor did I think this could not happen. I just observed. Later, though, I learned that there actually are a few well- and early-informed people who DID expect this to happen. But the marority of people of course didn't even have the chance to ignore the 'signs', because these things are a matter of intelligence agencies and secrecy.

Oh, don't comment and dismiss a book you haven't even read, smartypants. We are talking about different things. Read the book, and maybe we'll talk. You sure do know about arrogance. You don't get what I'm talking about at all, and I'm too lazy to school ye.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

I don't comment or dismiss the book, I comment statements made in the summary of the book as well as statements made by you here.

And your attempt to throw the arrogance thing back at me clearly fails when done in this style:

Read the book, and maybe we'll talk. You sure do know about arrogance. You don't get what I'm talking about at all, and I'm too lazy to school ye.

Edited by Hardyg

I don't comment or dismiss the book, I comment statements made in the summary of the book as well as statements made by you here.

Thats it, I'm revoking your owl avatar. Too misleading. May I suggest, perhaps Urkel?

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

You surely don't hide not only your phantasies of having special authority, but also of misusing it. :lol:

By the way... since you place so much importance on an accurately reflective avatar picture... your various ones give a clear impression. :lol:

Edited by Hardyg

Haha, now you lower the level to attempted insult by invoking national stereotypes. :lol: And not even based on reality. I mean... who's uptight here? :P

Edited by Hardyg

Sorry, bedtime. Have to leave you to your phantasy world and your imaginary friend "Hardy" whoever that is. I am sorry for you that you feel the need to put yourself in a superior position to look down on others and don't even have real and willing inferiors available.

It was fun for a while, but quickly became monotonous.

I hope you eventually manage to free yourself of your demons. Remember: People can only help you in the real world.