DaoChild

Taoist Hotspots in China

In the next two months I'll be moving off to China to continue learning martial arts & Chinese, drink tea / learn culture, and (of course) head off into the mountains to see the Taoist Temples and see what the scene is like.

I've been in contact with several authorities on Taoism in China and have given the response you'd expect : the real stuff is mostly dead, and is all dead in the temples. The temples are, by and large, tourist destinations and (just like the Kung fu schools) are run and maintained by the ministry of tourism.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you have been to China..

So what should I check out?? The only things currently on my list are the major sacred mountains.

(I'll be moving to Beijing for the first year or so, and then anywhere from there).

I'll be there semi-long term.. so I'll have plenty of time to visit all over.

Edited by DaoChild

Sounds like an awesome trip you have lined up. Something I would love to do one day.

I have a friend who has travelled in China and, like you say, most of the temples and martial art schools are tourist attractions monitored by the PRC. There's even a hotel on Hua Shan for goodness sake, is nothing sacred ?

According to my friend, Taiwan is where you will find the most authentic teachers, in Taoism, Chinese Buddhism and the martial arts, as some of the masters fled there when the communists took over.

That's not to put you off your travels by the way. I'm sure there will be many opportunities to learn some excellent things while you are in China. Just let everything soak in.

Best of luck on your forthcoming travels.

In the next two months I'll be moving off to China to continue learning martial arts & Chinese, drink tea / learn culture, and (of course) head off into the mountains to see the Taoist Temples and see what the scene is like.

I've been in contact with several authorities on Taoism in China and have given the response you'd expect : the real stuff is mostly dead, and is all dead in the temples. The temples are, by and large, tourist destinations and (just like the Kung fu schools) are run and maintained by the ministry of tourism.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you have been to China..

So what should I check out?? The only things currently on my list are the major sacred mountains.

(I'll be moving to Beijing for the first year or so, and then anywhere from there).

I'll be there semi-long term.. so I'll have plenty of time to visit all over.

If you want to find some decent martial arts and Qi Gong all you gotta do is go to the park(whichever park, no matter)at about 5am - 6am+ in the morning. See what you can find, that's where it's all happening.

Chinese people get up way early, that sucks! But, that's where you will find what you are looking for. The language may be a problem, at first, but Chinese people are very forgiving in that respect.

The park. I kid you not.

If you want to find some decent martial arts and Qi Gong all you gotta do is go to the park(whichever park, no matter)at about 5am - 6am+ in the morning. See what you can find, that's where it's all happening.

Chinese people get up way early, that sucks! But, that's where you will find what you are looking for. The language may be a problem, at first, but Chinese people are very forgiving in that respect.

The park. I kid you not.

I've taken Mandarin for a year, so I definitely want to keep studying it..

But that's totally what some other people are telling me. I've got quite a laundry list of teachers to check out when I get there, recommended to me from people who are living in China long-term. It should be really fun getting up early to explore the parks in the morning hours.

I wonder if posting this in the Chinese language section of the Tao bums might get better replies. Try posting it there- let people know you only read english.

Lin Aiwa doesn't post much anymore. He is a great source for Westerners looking at going to China.

Post the question on the U.S. Healing Tao discussion site. Michael Winn leads a trip to 'Taoist' China each year so there's people there who have a clue. He might have his itinerary up from previous years on the HT website too.

Michael

There are certain areas of Beijing westerners are not allowed to access due to the "save the face" Chinese cultural custom unless you have contacts with local people.

If I were you, aside from parks, is go to the sacred mountains and explore away from tourist areas. If you have yuanfen you'll meet a genuine follower of either the Way or a mystic who doesn't follow anything in particular. Another issue is the language barrier: having knowledge of Mandarin language is no guarantee of being able to communicate with someone who speaks a dialect of the region you are in; the ideal thing is making friends with a local (usually a travelling monk) who will most likely have knowledge of that dialect. Yuanfen plays an important role here.

I would stay away from the commercial schools in Wudang which are quite numerous today, but there are amazing hermits living in that area, of course away from the busy spots. Mt Wudang comprises 72 peaks so it is easy for them to hide from visitors but my feeling is that they will find you if you are a genuine spiritual practitioner.

Anywway, I wish you the best in your upcoming journey.

There are certain areas of Beijing westerners are not allowed to access due to the "save the face" Chinese cultural custom unless you have contacts with local people.

If I were you, aside from parks, is go to the sacred mountains and explore away from tourist areas. If you have yuanfen you'll meet a genuine follower of either the Way or a mystic who doesn't follow anything in particular. Another issue is the language barrier: having knowledge of Mandarin language is no guarantee of being able to communicate with someone who speaks a dialect of the region you are in; the ideal thing is making friends with a local (usually a travelling monk) who will most likely have knowledge of that dialect. Yuanfen plays an important role here.

I would stay away from the commercial schools in Wudang which are quite numerous today, but there are amazing hermits living in that area, of course away from the busy spots. Mt Wudang comprises 72 peaks so it is easy for them to hide from visitors but my feeling is that they will find you if you are a genuine spiritual practitioner.

Anywway, I wish you the best in your upcoming journey.

I like this piece of advice much better than my own, there's nothing like a good adventure with the possibility of fate lending a hand.

Welcome to Beijing! Actually, I'm moving cities after the summer, but this is a big city and if you have the yuanfen, you can meet just about any kind of person here. If you don't quite know what yuanfen is yet, don't worry... One who is intent to learn the culture cannot live in China for long without getting a feel for this word. You'll know its importance soon enough.

First things first, did I once read you write that you have asthma? My lungs have held up fine in this city but I know otherwise young and in shape asthma sufferers (including a dilligent bagua guy like yourself) who are suffering quite a bit here, as well as another guy who developed the condition because he liked to go jogging here. That the pollution in China is serious you no doubt know, but on the other hand, I think that it makes less of an impact on daily life than all the hoopla about it in the Western media would have you think. However, these types of influences do accumulate and if your lungs are already weak then you'll want to do what you can to tonify them in advance of arrival and after.

Going to the holy mountains is always a good idea, but while I have met many extraordinary individuals in China, I met each and every one of them in bustling cities. For you, the experience may be very different, and you might find who you're meant to meet, if anybody in China, on your very first trip up a mountain. From my novice perspective the reality of what kind of practitioners you can find in temple environments is a very complex one, tied up with your yuanfen, persistence, willingness to proceed slowly/patience, open-mindedness, attitude, and many other factors. There are all types of people within those walls, just as there are all types of people without. I've been offered beer by a monk and been offered great wisdom and more by a man living in the world whose family produces liquor. Others might offer different advice, but I suggest you go slow and observe observe observe and then observe some more before you seal a teacher student relationship.

Outside of Beijing there many smaller temples you could visit on weekends. I suggest checking out 凤凰岭 in the suburbs and keeping your ears open for what else is tucked about here and there. The only places I've known to be competely off-limits to foreigners are military bases and certain government buildings, and I've wandered unhindered in one of the former.

Most important of all is definitely the language. It's a slow process, but be sure that unless you want to rely on people who can do your translating for you, it will probably take at least one year's more serious study before you can start to converse about topics of the sort that come up on this site, and much more time if you wish to do so with any sort of erudition. It's easy to live in China without learning the language or scratching the surface of this culture. I've met people who've been in country for more than ten years, even in remote places, who don't know how to put a sentence together. Seriously. So be ready to work hard! The bright side is that the Chinese know it is hard to learn this language and will respect your efforts if it is clear you are making them. Indeed, people are generally very forgiving and helpful, especially if they see you as renzhen.

As for "the real Daoism is dead," I've heard that said many a time. Well, I suppose for those who have already made up their minds, then it's true. I can't say either way.

W

As for "the real Daoism is dead," I've heard that said many a time. Well, I suppose for those who have already made up their minds, then it's true. I can't say either way.

I heard it too...it is just not true. What is true, however is that common Chinese people don't care about it, nor does their government. But You are the one looking for it, and you can find it.

I recommend you avoid big structures, prefer small temples, that is usually where you can have better talks. This being said, in Beijing you should go to the White Cloud Temple, there are priests coming from all over China, that may be pretty interesting.

As for the rest, everything have been said in this thread. Good luck in your search.

BTW, I think it would be a good idea to give some specific "taoist Chinese", that is to say how to greet a taoist and such. By experience I know this can open many doors.

I heard it too...it is just not true. What is true, however is that common Chinese people don't care about it, nor does their government. But You are the one looking for it, and you can find it.

I recommend you avoid big structures, prefer small temples, that is usually where you can have better talks. This being said, in Beijing you should go to the White Cloud Temple, there are priests coming from all over China, that may be pretty interesting.

As for the rest, everything have been said in this thread. Good luck in your search.

2nd Temple of the White Cloud. I had one of the most amazing non-linear experiences there.

Connections can be important if you have them. If not, I suggest just go and immerse and enjoy the cultural experience. You will find your Destiny if you are supposed to. Concerning qigong IMO no way will you find the real deal Teacher (for you) unless this is so. But as was said, you can find many really good practitioners everywhere in the parks and at hospitals & clinics.

Edit: The coal dust can be horrible, so suggest you take meds with you if you have allergies. One thing that can help is Jia Wei Cang Er Pian (Xanthium Nasal Formula). Also for digestion Pill Curing ,forgot the pin yin name.

Edited by Ya Mu

Greetings..

Go to Hua Shan.. the rest will take care of itself..

Be well..

Bob, what's in HuaShan? Have any more info?

Welcome to Beijing! Actually, I'm moving cities after the summer, but this is a big city and if you have the yuanfen, you can meet just about any kind of person here. If you don't quite know what yuanfen is yet, don't worry... One who is intent to learn the culture cannot live in China for long without getting a feel for this word. You'll know its importance soon enough.

First things first, did I once read you write that you have asthma? My lungs have held up fine in this city but I know otherwise young and in shape asthma sufferers (including a dilligent bagua guy like yourself) who are suffering quite a bit here, as well as another guy who developed the condition because he liked to go jogging here. That the pollution in China is serious you no doubt know, but on the other hand, I think that it makes less of an impact on daily life than all the hoopla about it in the Western media would have you think. However, these types of influences do accumulate and if your lungs are already weak then you'll want to do what you can to tonify them in advance of arrival and after.

Going to the holy mountains is always a good idea, but while I have met many extraordinary individuals in China, I met each and every one of them in bustling cities. For you, the experience may be very different, and you might find who you're meant to meet, if anybody in China, on your very first trip up a mountain. From my novice perspective the reality of what kind of practitioners you can find in temple environments is a very complex one, tied up with your yuanfen, persistence, willingness to proceed slowly/patience, open-mindedness, attitude, and many other factors. There are all types of people within those walls, just as there are all types of people without. I've been offered beer by a monk and been offered great wisdom and more by a man living in the world whose family produces liquor. Others might offer different advice, but I suggest you go slow and observe observe observe and then observe some more before you seal a teacher student relationship.

Outside of Beijing there many smaller temples you could visit on weekends. I suggest checking out 凤凰岭 in the suburbs and keeping your ears open for what else is tucked about here and there. The only places I've known to be competely off-limits to foreigners are military bases and certain government buildings, and I've wandered unhindered in one of the former.

Most important of all is definitely the language. It's a slow process, but be sure that unless you want to rely on people who can do your translating for you, it will probably take at least one year's more serious study before you can start to converse about topics of the sort that come up on this site, and much more time if you wish to do so with any sort of erudition. It's easy to live in China without learning the language or scratching the surface of this culture. I've met people who've been in country for more than ten years, even in remote places, who don't know how to put a sentence together. Seriously. So be ready to work hard! The bright side is that the Chinese know it is hard to learn this language and will respect your efforts if it is clear you are making them. Indeed, people are generally very forgiving and helpful, especially if they see you as renzhen.

Walker, thank you for the notes regarding asthma. I'm in quite good physical shape, but that could obviously determine how my trip in China (and where I live) take shape. I haven't had asthma problems very often as of late, but I am a runner as well, so it's really going to be a tossup regarding how my lungs function when I get there.

Fingers crossed, I guess. Hopefully everything works out as it should though..

Greetings..

Hi Bill,

I hear some of the old Taoist monks (Complete Reality Sect) have returned, due to a certain 'immunity to practice' and a comfortable stipend granted as an enticement to the new "Preservation of Cultural Heritage" programs (read, attract tourists), but.. the old manuscripts are still there and still attended to by pre-tourist authentic monks.. as i hear it, the 'old monks' cannot resist the mountain's mysteries.. legends help, too..

Be well..

I have never heard of this. I spent 2 years in Shanghai and never had a problem going anywhere I wanted to go. I'm curious what places would be prohibited due to "saving face".

Greetings..

Hi Bill,

I hear some of the old Taoist monks (Complete Reality Sect) have returned, due to a certain 'immunity to practice' and a comfortable stipend granted as an enticement to the new "Preservation of Cultural Heritage" programs (read, attract tourists), but.. the old manuscripts are still there and still attended to by pre-tourist authentic monks.. as i hear it, the 'old monks' cannot resist the mountain's mysteries.. legends help, too..

Be well..

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to be in Beijing a couple weeks earlier than expected, so I'm going to stop by Wudangshan and Huashan and hike around to check it out. My Chinese is upper beginner right now, 800 characters, so I'll go back to really investigate after a year or so of really intensively studying the language and see what I can find.

Keep you posted!