Sign in to follow this  
sifusufi

Rex Kwon Do

I've seen worse in real life.

At least he didn't pull out the line, "you're not punching correctly. For my technique to work, you need to punch me, but correctly"

At least he didn't pull out the line, "you're not punching correctly. For my technique to work, you need to punch me, but correctly"

ROFL!!!

I remember asking my first teacher a question "well, what do I do if a person grapples me?", the style of gong fu I did at that time was based on kicks, punches and some basic Chin na, his reply was simply "you don't let them!". I loved my teacher, but even at that tender age I knew something wasn't quite right, Bearing in mind the majority of fights end up on the ground. The previous month I had had just that situation at school, I really had tried 'not letting him' grapple me! He just didn't agree with my rules.

ROFL!!!

I remember asking my first teacher a question "well, what do I do if a person grapples me?", the style of gong fu I did at that time was based on kicks, punches and some basic Chin na, his reply was simply "you don't let them!". I loved my teacher, but even at that tender age I knew something wasn't quite right, Bearing in mind the majority of fights end up on the ground. The previous month I had had just that situation at school, I really had tried 'not letting him' grapple me! He just didn't agree with my rules.

Yeah, my first experience of that was at a karate school, we were doing two man drills where you punch while stepping into a forward stance with the same leg as the punch. I was talking to the guy next to me when I realized it was my turn, so I stepped forward and punched.... but I stepped with my left and punched with my right.

My partner was like :blink: "sensei, what do I do?"

And my sensei shook his head and said, "how about we try throwing CORRECT punches? Hm?"

I was still pretty young back then, but I was smart enough to know that if my gut reaction was to throw an "improper punch" even after a bit of training, I knew someone with KNOW training wasn't going to throw a proper punch.

Oooooh the dojos and dojos.

Yeah, my first experience of that was at a karate school, we were doing two man drills where you punch while stepping into a forward stance with the same leg as the punch. I was talking to the guy next to me when I realized it was my turn, so I stepped forward and punched.... but I stepped with my left and punched with my right.

My partner was like :blink: "sensei, what do I do?"

And my sensei shook his head and said, "how about we try throwing CORRECT punches? Hm?"

I was still pretty young back then, but I was smart enough to know that if my gut reaction was to throw an "improper punch" even after a bit of training, I knew someone with KNOW training wasn't going to throw a proper punch.

Oooooh the dojos and dojos.

Ya, There are occasions when it's understandable though, such as a teacher really needing to show a specific technique and so requiring a certain attack.

You made me remember another thing, I attempted to use some of the forms techniques in sparring, and was told the techniques were not actually supposed to be used in fighting. :rolleyes::D :D

Actually, they were fairly effective because the other students were so used to sparring against certain other techniques! Oh the irony!!

Ya, There are occasions when it's understandable though, such as a teacher really needing to show a specific technique and so requiring a certain attack.

Yes, but you should at least have ways to defend against all types of punches. If you only have one good punch defense, and your defense against every other punch is, "well obviously if they are punching like that they are untrained so you have nothing to fear" well then.... uh........ live close to a hospital :)

You made me remember another thing, I attempted to use some of the forms techniques in sparring, and was told the techniques were not actually supposed to be used in fighting. :rolleyes::D :D

Actually, they were fairly effective because the other students were so used to sparring against certain other techniques! Oh the irony!!

Yeah, there is one thing that has stuck with me.

One of our "kick defense" drills involved the person throwing a straight kick at us, and you step slightly off to the side into a cat stance, and with your outside hand (the arm that is closest to the leg) you make a little hook (palm up, thumb faces the back, your pinky is towards them) and you "hook" their leg. Honestly it felt like one of the more ridiculous techniques we learned, but was "kung fu"-y enough to make people go "oooh" and "aaaa"

Well one day I was having a sparring match with my tae kwon do friend, and he was pushing me back and he threw a front kick to push me back harder, and I just sank into a cat stance, his foot sailed through open air and I hooked it.

Then we both froze because neither of us believed that was going to work and we laughed :lol:

It's really hard to battle your instinct to get away from danger, to dodge but remain close enough to your opponent to catch their attack- unless it's drilled into you somehow, then you do it without even realizing it :lol:

So gotta admit, McDojos get some props when they get 1 out of 10,000 moves right.

Yes, but you should at least have ways to defend against all types of punches. If you only have one good punch defense, and your defense against every other punch is, "well obviously if they are punching like that they are untrained so you have nothing to fear" well then.... uh........ live close to a hospital :)

Agreed. I think the basic techniques of the 'I punch like this and you defend like that' variety(as in use the exact same punching techniques from the style)were only ever used as a basic frame work, and then then teacher would mix it up a bit, I mean the teachers of yore. But it seems that, due to, IMO, larger and larger classes and a turnover of students, it's kind of got stuck at the basic teaching structure...to the degree that many teachers don't know of anything else and even fear that.

There are quite a few other teachers around that begin at a different beginning, and a arrive at a totally practical destination, themselves and their students. But it's harder and harder to find teachers that still maintain the traditional movements and then take you to the next level. Some of the traditional styles simply don't work as they are(or require a serious amount of years of practice), then the teacher changes it to a more practical form of movement...my only problem with that is that then what you are actually practicing is not the 'tradition' it's supposed to be. The other side is that not everyone is physically gifted enough to use certain movements in combat.

The basic problem, in my view, is how fluid is the original concept of the art, can it encompass different kinds of movement without compromising its tradition.

Yeah, there is one thing that has stuck with me.

One of our "kick defense" drills involved the person throwing a straight kick at us, and you step slightly off to the side into a cat stance, and with your outside hand (the arm that is closest to the leg) you make a little hook (palm up, thumb faces the back, your pinky is towards them) and you "hook" their leg. Honestly it felt like one of the more ridiculous techniques we learned, but was "kung fu"-y enough to make people go "oooh" and "aaaa"

Well one day I was having a sparring match with my tae kwon do friend, and he was pushing me back and he threw a front kick to push me back harder, and I just sank into a cat stance, his foot sailed through open air and I hooked it.

Then we both froze because neither of us believed that was going to work and we laughed :lol:

It's really hard to battle your instinct to get away from danger, to dodge but remain close enough to your opponent to catch their attack- unless it's drilled into you somehow, then you do it without even realizing it :lol:

So gotta admit, McDojos get some props when they get 1 out of 10,000 moves right.

Ya, I've played with that technique before, got my fingers hurt doing that with bad timing a few times. Not many people kick that high though or in that way. I much prefer the side step arm under then a forward movement and lift. It hurts their head when they land. :blink:

Agreed. I think the basic techniques of the 'I punch like this and you defend like that' variety(as in use the exact same punching techniques from the style)were only ever used as a basic frame work, and then then teacher would mix it up a bit, I mean the teachers of yore. But it seems that, due to, IMO, larger and larger classes and a turnover of students, it's kind of got stuck at the basic teaching structure...to the degree that many teachers don't know of anything else and even fear that.

There are quite a few other teachers around that begin at a different beginning, and a arrive at a totally practical destination, themselves and their students. But it's harder and harder to find teachers that still maintain the traditional movements and then take you to the next level. Some of the traditional styles simply don't work as they are(or require a serious amount of years of practice), then the teacher changes it to a more practical form of movement...my only problem with that is that then what you are actually practicing is not the 'tradition' it's supposed to be. The other side is that not everyone is physically gifted enough to use certain movements in combat.

The basic problem, in my view, is how fluid is the original concept of the art, can it encompass different kinds of movement without compromising its tradition.

Yeah, I think you're right. I mean, if you look at the framework for, say, shotokan, it's technically all there: kihon, kata, kumite.

Kihon- learn the basics of how to punch and kick, how to move the body, how to move the opponent's body, such as understanding the center of gravity and throws, joint manipulations, where bones and ligaments want so go and where they don't want to go. Pretty much, how to hurt your enemies and how to heal yourself and friends.

Kata- forms, including single and two (or more) drills. Basically, the kihon in action. He go here, you move there. He does this, you do that. Pretty much, how to put the anatomy of your kihon into practice.

Kumite- free fighting, taking what you have and making it WORK against a live, resisting opponent who wants to not only stop you, but punch your own face in. And this is where things fall apart. You got people who know where joints don't want to go, you got people who know that if someone grabs you you can turn it into a lock or a throw, but you aren't quite sure how to do it while at the same time make it look like what you're doing is, well, whatever it is you're doing.

I think there are a few main factors....

1) People just don't know. Take karate, for example. A lot of Americans learned Karate in Okinawa when they were with the military. A few stayed for a long time, but think about most of them- they rotate into Japan, learn some kihon and kata, maybe, MAYBE some kumite, then rotate back to the states. "Join John's Karate- Secret Martial Arts of the Orient!" John's sensei took down 5 guys at once, John's sensei taught him kihon and John's sensei taught him kata, but he didn't stay long enough to learn how to actually use it, but it must look something like the kihon and kata.... So some guy walks in and throws some boxing hooks and John's all like, "nah that won't work, that's not what my sensei in Okinawa taught...." So a guy with fragmented knowledge teaches some other guy, who probably sticks around just long enough to open his own school, then he leaves and opens his own school, a fragment of a fragment.

So by the third generation (if you can call it that, it's not even a full generation) encompassing what, 10 years at best? You already have a horribly watered down art...

2) Marketing- if it looks like boxing when you fight, more people are probably going to take up boxing

3) Safety- not a lot of people actually want to get hit or learn to fight, so the more they can learn without actually getting hurt, the better, so nobody really pressure tests their stuff

4) Unwillingness to learn- once John opens up his school, what motivation does he have to actually put what he knows to the test? He just throws on some red, white, and blue pants and shouts BOW TO YOUR SENSEI! Scares everybody with the muscles he got while in the military, and everyone just assumes he knows what's going on.

A large part of ALL traditional arts was ACTUAL COMBAT. Between students of your school, and people outside the school. You know what it looks like when you practice in front of a mirror. You know what it looks like when running through the drill with your buddy. Now what does it look like when you want to use it?

A lot of it comes from the teacher's experience, I think. "When I was a young man I fought a boxer, here's a trick I developed" or "I fought this Tae Kwon Do guy who could surprise attack you from far out of range, this is what you need to watch out for" combined with you and your buddies thinking, "what if someone did this? How would I react by applying the principles of this system?"

In my experience, the most versatile systems are very fluid, and look very similar to lots of other systems. But that's just because they are working with the human body. There are a few styles out there which are pretty specialized- they have a certain method of striking, or a certain stance, and all of their techniques stem from that strike or stance- those have less fluidity in terms of what you can do (because when applying the principles of your system to an attack you haven't seen before, you don't have many options).

Ya, I've played with that technique before, got my fingers hurt doing that with bad timing a few times. Not many people kick that high though or in that way. I much prefer the side step arm under then a forward movement and lift. It hurts their head when they land. :blink:

That's a good one too. The trick not to hurting your fingers is that you aren't looking to grab/seize the opponent's leg, it really is like a hook- you have to put your hand a little bit under it, and then lift up. In my case, I just held my hand there and the kick practically falls right into it..... but it's not like I rely on the technique often, so take my advice with a salt mine :D

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Yeah, I think you're right. I mean, if you look at the framework for, say, shotokan, it's technically all there: kihon, kata, kumite.

Kihon- learn the basics of how to punch and kick, how to move the body, how to move the opponent's body, such as understanding the center of gravity and throws, joint manipulations, where bones and ligaments want so go and where they don't want to go. Pretty much, how to hurt your enemies and how to heal yourself and friends.

Kata- forms, including single and two (or more) drills. Basically, the kihon in action. He go here, you move there. He does this, you do that. Pretty much, how to put the anatomy of your kihon into practice.

Kumite- free fighting, taking what you have and making it WORK against a live, resisting opponent who wants to not only stop you, but punch your own face in. And this is where things fall apart. You got people who know where joints don't want to go, you got people who know that if someone grabs you you can turn it into a lock or a throw, but you aren't quite sure how to do it while at the same time make it look like what you're doing is, well, whatever it is you're doing.

I think there are a few main factors....

1) People just don't know. Take karate, for example. A lot of Americans learned Karate in Okinawa when they were with the military. A few stayed for a long time, but think about most of them- they rotate into Japan, learn some kihon and kata, maybe, MAYBE some kumite, then rotate back to the states. "Join John's Karate- Secret Martial Arts of the Orient!" John's sensei took down 5 guys at once, John's sensei taught him kihon and John's sensei taught him kata, but he didn't stay long enough to learn how to actually use it, but it must look something like the kihon and kata.... So some guy walks in and throws some boxing hooks and John's all like, "nah that won't work, that's not what my sensei in Okinawa taught...." So a guy with fragmented knowledge teaches some other guy, who probably sticks around just long enough to open his own school, then he leaves and opens his own school, a fragment of a fragment.

So by the third generation (if you can call it that, it's not even a full generation) encompassing what, 10 years at best? You already have a horribly watered down art...

2) Marketing- if it looks like boxing when you fight, more people are probably going to take up boxing

3) Safety- not a lot of people actually want to get hit or learn to fight, so the more they can learn without actually getting hurt, the better, so nobody really pressure tests their stuff

4) Unwillingness to learn- once John opens up his school, what motivation does he have to actually put what he knows to the test? He just throws on some red, white, and blue pants and shouts BOW TO YOUR SENSEI! Scares everybody with the muscles he got while in the military, and everyone just assumes he knows what's going on.

A large part of ALL traditional arts was ACTUAL COMBAT. Between students of your school, and people outside the school. You know what it looks like when you practice in front of a mirror. You know what it looks like when running through the drill with your buddy. Now what does it look like when you want to use it?

A lot of it comes from the teacher's experience, I think. "When I was a young man I fought a boxer, here's a trick I developed" or "I fought this Tae Kwon Do guy who could surprise attack you from far out of range, this is what you need to watch out for" combined with you and your buddies thinking, "what if someone did this? How would I react by applying the principles of this system?"

In my experience, the most versatile systems are very fluid, and look very similar to lots of other systems. But that's just because they are working with the human body. There are a few styles out there which are pretty specialized- they have a certain method of striking, or a certain stance, and all of their techniques stem from that strike or stance- those have less fluidity in terms of what you can do (because when applying the principles of your system to an attack you haven't seen before, you don't have many options).

That's a good one too. The trick not to hurting your fingers is that you aren't looking to grab/seize the opponent's leg, it really is like a hook- you have to put your hand a little bit under it, and then lift up. In my case, I just held my hand there and the kick practically falls right into it..... but it's not like I rely on the technique often, so take my advice with a salt mine :D

Ya, definitely there was something lost in translation between between the east and the west. Partly it's like you say, with the example of people learning a bit then opening their dojo, the other side is the deeper concept. We break down techniques to 1. do this 2. do that 3. finish with this. That's the way our mind works, the western mind I mean... but the Asian mind will say it's only one technique, there is not the separation of 1, 2 ,3... in their opinion.

If we cannot see and perform it as one technique then we are not doing it right...I get the feeling that many Asians have kind of given up on westerners for this point. It's simply the way we've been trained to learn. We separate and quantify, they don't. Many would even go as far to say that there is actually only one technique in the whole art. Which would be a concept or feeling.

In any case, I think I'm going off on a tangent. :blink:

Well I did just hire a PT / trainer to push me, the results are palpable.

Thought everybody here will enjoy this...

Working out with Jeff at two hundred and ten dollars per visit

http://27bslash6.com/buffed.html

:lol:

you guys are talking about dojos or dodos? :lol:

Date: Friday 10 April 2009 1.32pm

To: Jeff Peters

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Membership Renewal Due

The middle one.

:)

Sign in to follow this