Sign in to follow this  
Stigweard

Getting Down and Dirty with Dao

There are so many reasons to grow your own vege garden. From self-sustainability through to Eco-responsibility, gardening to me just simply 'makes sense'. More than this though, gardening promises so much learning about Dao. I recently became acutely aware at how contrived and superficial my understanding was. Gardening for me has become a new and exciting way to get 'Down and Dirty with Dao' ;)

I had a couple of considerations though:

1. Is it possible to grow all your veges in limited space?

2. How can you be as environmentally friendly as possible?

3. Can you get it all going on a shoe-string budget?

4. How do you produce maximum produce without busting your arse?

Now my wife and I (mainly my wife) have been organic gardeners for years. We have had some fabulous gardens. I remember a pumpkin harvest we had one year which left a massive mound of pumpkins piled up in our kitchen ... goodness we felt rich!!! But this time we wanted to go 'hard core' because our new residence only has a small space available, at most about 200 square feet.

Our previous methods certainly would not have worked, fortunately though Carol found a gem of a book written by John Jeavons. It detailed a method that blended Biodynamic and an old French intensive gardening. It quite clearly states that you can theoretically grow all the veges for 2 people in a space of 200 square feet :D

From the intro:

Gardening is not always easy, but the rewards are personal and fun. For most of us the environment is what is around us, seperate from human activity. Gardening offers the chance to become partners with nature. The reward is not just the salad from the back step, or the gleaming jar of peaches. It is the process of digging the soil, starting small seeds, watching an apple tree grow. It is an education in observation, in harmony, honesty, and humility - in knowing and understanding our place in the world.

Sounds Dao to me ;)

So what follows is our exploration into the world of Bio-intensive Gardening.

:D

Sounds like you and your wife are having fun with this.

I agree, the quote sounds very Taoist to me as well.

And I also agree that when we interact directly with nature we become more at peace with our Self and more a part of the totality.

Yesterday my friend and I were talking and the subject of waterfalls came up. Most people are attracted to the sound of waterfalls. Why? I don't know but it might have something to do with being a part of it and being part of nature and the totality.

I did a little gardening yesterday. Moved some Nasturtium that had germinated and growing well into their new home and put down more seed because enough of the seed had not germinated to fill the area I planned for them. They are replacing the pansies that have died back from the heat of summer.

Peace & Love!

I drizzled a $1.30 packet of Mesclun style lettuce seeds on the ground 30 days ago. Now I'm harvesting a salad every other day or I should say adding it into my avocado banana shakes. Because the Mesclun is leaf(not head), I cut it w/ scissors and low and behold through the graciousness of mother nature it grows back.

In another 45 days I expect my cherry tomatoes, hot peppers and cucumbers to be ready, and I'll have garden fresh gazpacho through the end of October :)

Michael

There are so many reasons to grow your own vege garden. From self-sustainability through to Eco-responsibility, gardening to me just simply 'makes sense'. More than this though, gardening promises so much learning about Dao. I recently became acutely aware at how contrived and superficial my understanding was. Gardening for me has become a new and exciting way to get 'Down and Dirty with Dao' ;)

I had a couple of considerations though:

1. Is it possible to grow all your veges in limited space?

2. How can you be as environmentally friendly as possible?

3. Can you get it all going on a shoe-string budget?

4. How do you produce maximum produce without busting your arse?

Already a great gardening thread here. B)

I think it's a great "spiritual" endeavor...rather than just chanting & reading sutras all day...which can all get very "virtual" & mental. Whereas gardening is always a very "real" activity. Yet can be "spiritual" too - although many people have a very narrow box for what they consider "spiritual" activity.

1. Dunno - but trees are a great way to grow produce vertically.

2. Go organic. Stop wasting your compostable waste! Compost & reuse it! This will not only reduce landfill usage but also amend your soil!

3. Yea, you can get most 6' saplings for like $25 each. Considering the amount of harvest you will reap for many years after this small capital investment - the return is economically phenomenal.

4. The most important thing is to first select the plants that will naturally do best in your area. This usually includes natives...or foreign plants that grow in similar latitudes or climates elsewhere. A lot of Chinese & Japanese plants actually do very well in the US for this reason. Just make sure you don't plant any "invasive" species. :lol:

Also, you may want to plant some woody perennial trees & shrubs that will just keep growing and don't have to be replanted every year... That cuts a lot down on work & maintenance. In addition, your harvests will keep increasing each year with the sizes of your trees..

PS - Another additive I recently stumbled upon to really enhance plant (particularly root) growth is Epsom salt.

epsomll4e3.jpg

epsomll4e4.jpg

(Do note that "Epsom salt" is magnesium sulfate...and contains no actual sodium. That would be bad, lol.)

Edited by vortex

Our previous methods certainly would not have worked, fortunately though Carol found a gem of a book written by John Jeavons. It detailed a method that blended Biodynamic and an old French intensive gardening. It quite clearly states that you can theoretically grow all the veges for 2 people in a space of 200 square feet :D

That's very interesting, and timely, and hard to believe too =) What is the name of that book please.

PS - Another additive I recently stumbled upon to really enhance plant (particularly root) growth is epsom salt.

I will give you an "Amen" on the epson salt. I use it mainly on my roses and juniper (ground cover type) but on others occasionally as well. I have had great results from using it.

Peace & Love!

We have used intensive raised bed gardening with great success. It is really amazing how much can be grown in so little space. We still have some of these but also do a large garden utilizing the amazing contribution of draft horses.

edit:

I wanted to add that there is absolutely no question in my mind about the fact that food you personally cultivate has much more qi than food purchased in a grocery store. I encourage everyone to grow/raise their own food.

Edited by Ya Mu

i highly recommend the book "secrets of the soil" by peter thompkins. it might help you to do some successful gardening in your rather small "garden". thompkins describes a variety of really interesting uncommon methods of gardening/farming (bio-dynamical gardening, the combination of using music and a special fertilizer, collecting and using cosmic energy in the garden and so on...). this book is really cool! it blew my mind when i read it some years ago! good luck!

That's very interesting, and timely, and hard to believe too =) What is the name of that book please.

71D067A91BL._SL500_AA300_.gif

I wanted to add that there is absolutely no question in my mind about the fact that food you personally cultivate has much more qi than food purchased in a grocery store. I encourage everyone to grow/raise their own food.

ABSOLUTELY !!!!

i highly recommend the book "secrets of the soil" by peter thompkins. it might help you to do some successful gardening in your rather small "garden". thompkins describes a variety of really interesting uncommon methods of gardening/farming (bio-dynamical gardening, the combination of using music and a special fertilizer, collecting and using cosmic energy in the garden and so on...). this book is really cool! it blew my mind when i read it some years ago! good luck!

Thank you for the recommendation ... I will look into it ;)

71D067A91BL._SL500_AA300_.gif

Thanks, Stig. evident'y that book is now a collectors item or out of publication for some time because new ones cost $95 on Amazon. There is a newer version for $14 so I'll get that one.

Time to get the compost pile going. It's like a big chocolate mud cake !! :D

Steps:

1. Loosen soil 12" below area

2. 5" layer of dry twigs, branches etc.

3. 4" layer of draw vegetable matter like straw

4. 2" layer of green matter including kitchen wastes

5. 1" layer of soil that was dug from the first trench in the garden

6. Repeat 3 - 5 until 4 - 5 ft high

Each layer is watered lightly to encourage microbial activity.

Leave for 2-3 months, though it can be turned at 6-8 weeks to speed the process ;)

30245_1204143282212_1787521208_385341_7427133_n.jpg

We have also started digging the second bed which leads me to Tip No. 3. Check where ALL the pipes are, and if you hear a mysterious clunking sound, stop, look and check with hands instead of going for the buried treasure. Yes you guessed it, the old digging fork through the water pipe trick...now waiting for the plumber hehehehehe

30245_1204144562244_1787521208_385342_2351690_n.jpg

We have also started digging the second bed which leads me to Tip No. 3. Check where ALL the pipes are, ...

Ha! I've done that trick except it was the telephone line. Hehehe.

Peace & Love!

Yes you guessed it, the old digging fork through the water pipe trick...now waiting for the plumber hehehehehe

30245_1204144562244_1787521208_385342_2351690_n.jpg

In the US, they've recently set up the 811 program. Basically, you can call them up & within 48 hours the city will come locate all city utility lines on your property for you free-of-charge. I think this was done because it got too expensive repairing various lines that people blindly dug through!

So, I recommend people doing this first BEFORE digging any holes. And when you do dig holes, be VERY careful! If you hit any obstruction, stop & inspect!

That said, the main obstacles people will encounter most are shallow PVC sprinkler lines & existing tree roots. Perhaps some phone lines or power cables too. Potable water lines are usually buried deeper - but they're also harder to locate because the city will usually only locate them from the street to the water meter on your property. But not beyond that through "private property" to your unit. Other buried utilities may also include sewage, gas, cable, fiber optic cables, etc.

I had this done and actually drew up a site map with the lines marked for future reference... Reality is - there's a lot of practical considerations to gardening, too. And far better to be safe than sorry!

Edited by vortex

In the US, they've recently set up the 811 program. Basically, you can call them up & within 48 hours the city will locate all city utility lines on your property for you free-of-charge. I think this was done because it got too expensive repairing various lines that people blindly dug through!

So, I recommend people doing this first BEFORE digging any holes. And when you do dig holes, be VERY careful! If you hit any obstruction, stop & inspect!

That said, the main obstacles people will encounter most are shallow PVC sprinkler lines & existing tree roots. Perhaps some phone lines or power cables too. Potable water lines are usually buried deeper - but they're also harder to locate because the city will usually only locate them from the street to the water meter on your property. But not beyond that through "private property" to your unit. Other buried utilities may also include sewage, gas, cable, fiber optic cables, etc.

I had this done and actually drew up a site map with the lines marked for future reference... Reality is - there's a lot of practical considerations to gardening, too. And far better to be safe than sorry!

Yup ... Australia has the same service: Dial 1100 Before You Dig

Fortunately this was just a rainwater downpipe outlet that escaped my notice so wasn't on my 'map'. ;)

$70 for a plumber and we have diverted the pipeline away from the garden :D

I find what separates the farmers from the fiddlers is the size of there compost pile. I think a source of good compost, actually creating your own is the secret to great soil and a productive garden.

Here is a good site on compost:

http://www.homecomposting.org.uk/content/view/12/26/

Its all about keeping it simple. A simple trash can w/ the bottom cut out (no need for air holes!), keep a balance of brown and green stuff a little water, most of all be patient. Even if it takes next season, you'll be rewarded w/ black gold. :)

I've got some large empty trash cans. I'll cut off the bottom and start my gold mine this week.

Michel

I find what separates the farmers from the fiddlers is the size of there compost pile. I think a source of good compost, actually creating your own is the secret to great soil and a productive garden.

Here is a good site on compost:

http://www.homecomposting.org.uk/content/view/12/26/

Its all about keeping it simple. A simple trash can w/ the bottom cut out (no need for air holes!), keep a balance of brown and green stuff a little water, most of all be patient. Even if it takes next season, you'll be rewarded w/ black gold. :)

I've got some large empty trash cans. I'll cut off the bottom and start my gold mine this week.

Michel

compost_heap.jpg

My wife and I just harvested about 49,000 lbs of.... hay. Horses gonna eat good this winter.

another similar method is to get a barrel (plastic)

and drill some holes all over

then layer your material

and add some dirt with the layers

(i forgot the dirt the first time and nothing happened)

then you can put the lid on it

and leave it for a couple months

hardly any odor

and keeps the critters out of your stuff...

franklin

Edited by Franklin

Sign in to follow this