Mushtaq Ali

Greetings

Hello all,

My name is Mushtaq Ali. I managed to find my way over here from the RMAX forum where I was in a conversation with one of the people here.

Since the conversation seems to be (more or less) still going on over here I though I might join this forum and perhaps join in.

For anyone who is interested, my background is:

Teacher of a poorly known Indonesian martial art

Have practiced a little Chi Kung and such like

am a linguist and translator of obscure languages

have done a lot of traveling

don't take most people seriously, especally myself

Interesting to have people of an increasingly diverse background here.

Welcome.

Welcome Mushtaq. It's great to see you here. I've enjoyed your posts on RMAX for a number of years now. Feel free to jump in on any discussion any time. :)

Sean

Welcome Mushtaq. It's great to see you here. I've enjoyed your posts on RMAX for a number of years now. Feel free to jump in on any discussion any time. :)

Sean

Thanks for the welcome Sean

I will be happy to take up our conversation were we left off.

Welcome Mushtaq,

You piqued my interest mentioning the poorly known Indonesian martial art - can I ask what it is? (Pencak Silat by any chance?)

That would be the one. The particular school of silat is Silat Zulfikari, which you can read a bit about here.

Zulfikari looks pretty good. I'm not a martial artist, but have been thinking of starting Silat training with Steven Benitez in London - apparently a very talanted martial artist... His particular style is Walisongo Silat - I like it because it's traditional with internal aspects but also very much applicable in 'real life' - and it combines ground fighting, weapons, multiple attackers etc.

have a look at eastweststudios.com for more info on Benitez - there are a few interesting articles there too.

I know a couple of the Wali Sango guys. It seems a nice system if you have strong knees :) Personally I like "old man" silat, much less work. From what I have seen though you could do a lot worse than studying with this group.