Sign in to follow this  
Non

Yunnan Chi Tse Beeng Cha Pu-Erh Tea

Has anyone here heard of pu-erh tea?

I got a disc shaped brick from the chinese store around here and I've been drinking it for days lately. I can't believe how much energy it gives me. It totally reverses all feelings of weakness and fatigue I have especially from lack of sleep and sun. It gives me a lot of strength especially, like of the explosive sort, like creatine. It's crazy.

Yunnan Chi Tse Beeng Cha

Edited by Non

Has anyone here heard of pu-erh tea?

I got a disc shaped brick from the chinese store around here and I've been drinking it for days lately. I can't believe how much energy it gives me. It totally reverses all feelings of weakness and fatigue I have especially from lack of sleep and sun. It gives me a lot of strength especially, like of the explosive sort, like creatine. It's crazy.

Pu-Erh Chi Tse Beeng Cha

I don't know about the specific tea you mention but I have sampled many forms of pu-erh.

It is an aged tea, usually semi-fermented(oolong). It has a terrific fat-cleansing effect. It will actually help flush out triglycerides from a person's blood. Usually I avoid pu-erhs because of this. I really don't need anything that results in weight-loss. Plus, I find them a bit too musty for my taste. I tend to like teas to taste a little less foggy.

The really old pu-erhs can be quite expensive. I'm talking like 40 and 50 year old teas. Pretty cool if I think about it.

Page 310 of Ken Koan's (pun) book "The Way Of Qigong" The Divine Medicine (signed copy from Changing hands bookstore Tempe Az)

Speaks of the Cholesterol and blood lipid levels lowered by Pu Erh, as well as weight loss and aiding in digestion of greasy fatty foods

A "Mellow earthy taste' almost smoky or peat like"

I indulged like mad about 3 yr ago when I began TCM Tx for my arthritis and attempted to kick coffee (failed miserably) recently got 2 small bricks from my buddy Joel when he returned from NYC.

I used to get mine from Peets teas in Chicago (I think they moved due to the new Whole Foods?)

When I saw the Green tea thread yesterday I had a pot of Pu Erh- really got the energy moving, did a lot of movements I hadn't in a while!

To yer Health!

Bobby

Well I got the yellow label pu erh cake. Not sure what yellow label means.

It has a really warming affect on my body and blood, waking up my metabolism,invigorating.

The tea I have is I think cooked... But really I dont even think of the taste as being musty, if it even is. It's a really earthy taste, like tree bark, and/or like dirt? I never tried dirt. But more of a tree bark kind of taste.

I never tried dirt. But more of a tree bark kind of taste.

Made me laugh hard! Thanks love that taste myself! I read in some ceremony about washing the leaves ( wasting the first cup?)

Anyone else know about this? Would hate to waste it. It's precious (and expensive!)

Righteous tea time,

Rob

well there's the traditional gongfu (kung fu) method of brewing tea.

What I do though.. is they say to first rinse the leaves with boiling water, and twice if it's of the older variety.

So I boil the water, pour a little just to immerse the tea in the boiling water, and quickly pour it out. I do this twice in total.

Then u can either brew it the 'kung fu' method of pouring the amount of water u want for tea in it and brew it for 30 seconds or so and drink that, and for each later steeping u add 30 seconds or so more, until u get a light brew.

The western method is just after rinsing you brew it anywhere from 3-10 minutes.

The best thing about the tea is that it doesn't get bitter at all it only gets stronger and stronger, the way westerners like their tea.. and this way it can be used as a replacement for coffee.

The correct color is darker than red tea (or black tea if u refer to it in the english language translation), perhaps even like coffee looking.

Pu-Erh is an aged leaf from green tea although a larger variety of leaf. most of the green, black and white teas come from the same plant, color depends on aging and maturity.

it is left in pots and stored in caves alot of times and aged that way. Yunnan is one of the better provinces to get that type of tea from if not the best. actually thats because the tea is from Yunnan province, but different towns that produce it are the reasons for the different labels. each year will be different or have a the date on them, some are round, some look like a pumpkin and some look and are like bricks. the real stuff isnt cooked. its aged or ripened, which in chinese is like saying cooked.

people tend to drink it as a regular tea, however it does have medicinal aspects that were mentioned and should be taken as such. the chinese teachers i had drank it only when they had a stomach problem.

a tea that can be drank everyday to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar among many other things is Ku Ding Cha.

Awesome! Puerh is said to benefit the spleen, and reduce dampness.

Very true. This is an awesome tea that Internal artists drink after each meal to stimulate digestive fire and help your body eliminate dampness. Also drink oolong and green tea varieties. The three heavy weights of tea. But Pu-Erh represents Earth element. :)

Hmmmm wise and ancient China. Love you!

Does this mean that other green/white/black teas could represent other elements? I'm confused. :mellow:

Green tea = wood = liver

Black tea = water = kidneys

Oolong tea = fire. Build heat which is best drunk in autumn and winter months

Chrysanthemum and peppermint teas = metal

I have come across some info about this amazing tea which I would like to share with you:

"In the last few years years the Pu-erh market in China has been extremely unstable. With the enormous new middle class emerging in China they sought out status symbols and ways to indulge their newly found wealth. Pu-erh became quite the status symbol in China and the prices shot through the roof to ludicrous highs, consequently many new smaller less experienced companies started making pu-erh to cash in on its new popularity. This is one of the reasons that good Yunnan Golds have been so hard to come by recently, it comes from one of the same large leaf varietals that pu-erh comes from and the raw leaves were all being diverted to pu-erh production. Fortunately this overzealous hording of pu-erh in China has leveled off and started to diminish, however be wary of pu-erhs from lessor know companies after about 2003.

The real delicacy in the pu-erh realm is in a well aged raw (sheng) cake. One about 20-30 years old. Much like a fine wine it develops with age. The pleasure in these old puerhs is immense. Do beware though, with the price of some aged cakes going for as much as $30,000 each at auction, there are many counterfeits being passed off."

Anyway, check out this site for the basics about this tea. It also lists many of the vendors and the author's own personal review of them. It covers the various types, the shapes, and much of the lore.

the pu-erh at Peet's coffee is of good quality and is very consistent, year after year. it's about $78/lb, or you can buy it in a 1/4 lb tin for $20.

i've been drinking pu-erh for some time now, and i've been brewing at least one pot every day for the past 2 years.

Peet's takes their quality control very seriously. there was one 3-month period where the (tuo cha) tea compressions were so tight that i couldn't break them up very well. i had to saturate the discs first, and then break them up. but the tea still brewed up nicely.

never been disappointed in their pu-erh. that's the only tea that i exclusively buy at Peet's. other sources have failed me on occasion.

Edited by Hundun

I guess cakes are more authentic as opposed to the loose teas? my cakes look just like the ones u see in the pics with the paper in the front with the green or yellow label (I dont know the meaning of the labels, some are red, green and yellow), and they have a paper inside the cake too from the manufacturer, as well as another rectangle square describing the tea.

Edited by Non

my beeng cha's look like these: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_c3agj9ujL9I/SKiIoCUmDSI/AAAAAAAAArE/Egmc0HE_z1o/s400/Menghai+1994.jpg

I have one green label and another yellow label which is almost run out. Anyone know what the labels mean?

Ie, instead of the center symbol being green it's just yellow.

Less than 10 dollars each I think?

and I have another one that looks like this http://www.tuochatea.com/pu_erh_brick/images/yunnan_pu_erh_brick.jpg except it came in a plastic wrapper.. It hink this one is lesser quality though sicne the bag had holes in it and it kinda smelled like cooked food or like it soaked the smell of food that was around it, around 15 dollars a brick.

I dont see any on the internet as cheap as I found it at my store.

Edited by Non

I work at a tea company and we have 3 different pu ers, 1 2 3 ...the 3rd is the most expensive. I have no clue how old they are, I should ask, but I'm curious as to their quality. In terms of price, are they expensive compared to what you guys buy?

I'll make an offer.. whoever here is a good writer and has knowledge of the medicinal qualities of Pu Er, I'll send you samples of all 3 and in return you can write an article for Tea Muse ... it can be a short review of the 3 teas and a short explanation of the medicinal benefits of Pu Er. Any takers?

Less than 10 dollars each I think?...

That's the price range I used to drink before spending almost $100 bucks in my last cake and there is no way on Earth I will drink that stuff ever again, no long lasting after taste plus they tasted like dirty water, lol. I have thrown away the two cheap cakes I had.

I will post a pic of the medium grade cake I purchased the other day, which as I mentioned in the other thread is not necessarily worse than a White House premium grade $10,000 USD cake.

I work at a tea company and we have 3 different pu ers, 1 2 3 ...the 3rd is the most expensive. I have no clue how old they are, I should ask, but I'm curious as to their quality. In terms of price, are they expensive compared to what you guys buy?

I'll make an offer.. whoever here is a good writer and has knowledge of the medicinal qualities of Pu Er, I'll send you samples of all 3 and in return you can write an article for Tea Muse ... it can be a short review of the 3 teas and a short explanation of the medicinal benefits of Pu Er. Any takers?

No takers?

No takers?

I'm down. especially if it'll make you look good in the eyes of your boss.

;)

i have a client who only buys from adagio. never tried their pu-erh, but the dragonwell is pretty good.

just tell me how long you want it to be and any other specifics you want me to cover or mention, and i'll crank that out.

good times. :)

I'm down. especially if it'll make you look good in the eyes of your boss.

;)

i have a client who only buys from adagio. never tried their pu-erh, but the dragonwell is pretty good.

just tell me how long you want it to be and any other specifics you want me to cover or mention, and i'll crank that out.

good times. :)

Thanks brother.. will contact you.

Sign in to follow this