Sign in to follow this  
mantis

Green Tea

You got me there.

I read about Pu Erh in Ken Koans (pun) book it is a black tea however.

Paid the price got sum (pun) good stuff, tried it mostly 3 yr ago when I was kicking coffee(fail)

My friend Joel and his friend just brought me some last month.

Think I'll have a pot!

Peace,

Robbie

What is the best type of green tea to buy? Gyokuro?

China:

1. Anji Bai Cha close to $500 US/Kg

2. Shi Feng Long Jing close to $1000 US/Kg

Edited: typo

Edited by durkhrod chogori

I'm drinking Longjing Tea 2010 (King Grade) currently $2,097.84 per kg

But any Dragon Well IMHO tends to make a very nice green tea. No need to go that expensive, although it's quite nice ^_^ and since it's not pan fried for very long it has a slightly sweeter taste to normal dragon well teas.

I have not had Gyokuro, only Sencha, but I'm told it will also be a bit sweeter than Sencha.

King's 913 Green 3rd Grade (green oolong) from Ten Ren is quite good and affordable at $24 for 5.3 oz.

You can order it on tenren.com

Cheers!

What is the best type of green tea to buy? Gyokuro?

Gyokuro is highest grade of Japanese green tea. But that doesn't mean it is the best, just the highest grade that Japan has to offer.

Really good Chinese greens are too numerous to mention and pointless to try to qualify.

I personally have always been most taken by a certain Taiwanese tung ting style Oolong that I have seen referred to as Jade Oolong. Very creamy and floral. Closer to green than black but not as grassy as say a Pouchong or a true green tea. Very balanced semi-fermented tea.

Edited by Ryan T.

Mal turned me onto to Amazing-Green-tea.com. I've ordered

Huangshan Maofeng (A) 50g:

Longjing Tea (B Grade) 50g:

Tieguanyin Wang (Aged AA) 49g:

They're all good, I particularly liked the Longjing. Surprisingly after ordering $24 worth of tea from China, which while expensive, is about 30 or 40 cents a cup I figure (quality leaves can be used several times). While waiting I bought some Genmai Cha (Hime brand)green tea which was $4 for 7 ounces. I really enjoy the taste.

The Chinese teas are whole leaf, they probably have more theanine, antioxidants, micronutrients that the Genmai, still the Genmai is cheap and tasty.

I think the best is what tastes best to you. Try a sampler pack and invite a few friends over to do a tasting. I did and the cheap Genmai came out on top!!

But the group was made up of coffee drinker who may have suffered a loss of appreciating delicacies.

Michael

I'm drinking Longjing Tea 2010 (King Grade) currently $2,097.84 per kg

But any Dragon Well IMHO tends to make a very nice green tea. No need to go that expensive, although it's quite nice ^_^ and since it's not pan fried for very long it has a slightly sweeter taste to normal dragon well teas...

Is the tea you consume the Shi Feng Longjing variety?

Where do you purchase it from? I doubt they supply this in Australia let alone any quality green tea.

Cheers.

I like gyokuro because of it's relaxing properties, the higher amonuts of l-theanine. Matcha. Jasmine Dragon Pearl Green Tea.

I also like Oolongs.

I really like pu-erh teas.

There's a new one called GABA tea but you can't find it anywhere else other than the internet. It has lots of GABA.

Regards

Oh yea and kombucha.

Is the tea you consume the Shi Feng Longjing variety?

Where do you purchase it from? I doubt they supply this in Australia let alone any quality green tea.

Cheers.

While I often shop at http://www.enjoyingtea.com/ for a good balance between price and quality. I decided to give http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/about-us.html a try this year and I have been very happy with their Longjing.

If you find a better tea shiping to Australia please let me know.

I'm not sure if actual monkies still pick Tie Guan Yin, apparently the tea's name came from a legend that told of monkeys being used by monks to retrieve this tea from the high mountains. In general, monkey picked tea are from wild tea plants that grow in inaccessible places, such as on high cliff faces. Link

While I often shop at http://www.enjoyingtea.com/ for a good balance between price and quality. I decided to give http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/about-us.html a try this year and I have been very happy with their Longjing.

If you find a better tea shiping to Australia please let me know.

I'm not sure if actual monkies still pick Tie Guan Yin, apparently the tea's name came from a legend that told of monkeys being used by monks to retrieve this tea from the high mountains. In general, monkey picked tea are from wild tea plants that grow in inaccessible places, such as on high cliff faces. Link

Thanks for the links and I will if I ever find a cheaper deal.

The joys of being a poor monk :lol:

In the Movie Fearless, the hero Huo Yuan Jia played by Jet Li is having tea with one of his adversary, Japanese Kendo Master Tanaka.

The following is a transcript of their conversation :

Mr Huo, according to what you say, you really don't know the nature of tea.

It's not that I don't know, I really don't want to know, because I don't care about evaluating teas. Tea is tea. But each tea has its own character and properties. What is the purpose of grading ? These many teas are grown in nature, all of them. Is there a discernable difference ?

Yes, once you learn this, you can tell the difference between the teas.

What you say may be right, but the way I see it, the tea does not judge itself. It's people that judge its grading. Different people chose different things. As for me, as far as I'm concerned, I just don't want to make any choice.

Is that so ?

Drinking tea is a mood, really. If you are in a good mood, the grade of tea doesn't matter.

What you just said makes me have more respect for you. Enjoy

You first

Sign in to follow this