Sign in to follow this  
That Guy

Acupuncture Relief

A biological molecule that may help explain the effects of acupuncture has been identified by scientists.

The chemical, adenosine, is a natural compound known for pain-killing and anti-inflammatory properties.

It also influences the heart and plays a role in regulating sleep.

Researchers found that adenosine is very active in tissues affected by acupuncture, the ancient Chinese treatment that involves inserting needles into sensitive points of the body.

The scientists performed acupuncture on mice suffering chronic inflammatory pain in one paw. Each animal received a 30-minute treatment with fine needles inserted into a known acupuncture point near the knee.

Acupuncture reduced discomfort by two-thirds in mice with normal levels of adenosine.

However, it had no effect on "knock out" mice genetically prevented from responding to adenosine, the researchers found.

During and immediately after acupuncture treatment, adenosine levels in the tissues near the needles were boosted 24-fold.

Maiken Nedergaard, from the University of Rochester Medical Centre in New York state, said: "Acupuncture has been a mainstay of medical treatment in certain parts of the world for 4,000 years, but because it has not been understood completely, many people have remained sceptical.

"In this work, we provide information about one physical mechanism through which acupuncture reduces pain in the body."

Source

Groovy news for you all, I wonder if they will eventually connect this with qi/ki/chi energy though. ^_^

Not much into acupuncture myself, but very good to know that they are still researching this stuff, rather than just accepting the studies done in the past that were inconclusive at best.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

This is good. Thing is eventually if people are told one thing over the other for long enough, they become impervious to facts. Only they can change that.

I wonder if they will eventually connect this with qi/ki/chi energy though

Or with the entire theoretical foundation of TCM, which you can't just throw out...

Freedom from pain is proof enough for me!

However Treatment is expensive and like all in life we must follow through...

Attempted to seriously study TCM 3 yr ago and like everything else, scratch the surface and realise another life long commitment is at hand.

"There is nothing new under the sun...

... although it might be new to you"- Unknown

Guest paul walter

woops

Edited by paul walter

Guest paul walter

Source

Groovy news for you all, I wonder if they will eventually connect this with qi/ki/chi energy though. ^_^

Another biochemical discovery as to why acupuncture works :rolleyes: . The way western science insists on doing it is to work from the bottom (skepticism) up which is why it takes so long for first principles to be 'discovered'. There will be more to come til we reach the level of measuring chi and such so stay tuned...

Sign in to follow this