bindo

Acupressure - The importance of St 36

The importance of St 36

"Mi Bing" is closely related to the idea of longevity and moxibustion on the acupuncture point St 36 (stomach 36: Zu San Li in Chinese, Ashi-no-san-ri in Japanese). A Japanese folk tale from the Edo era (1603-1867) about Farmer Manpei tells that when Manpei was asked whether he had any secret to maintaining long life, he answered that he had no secret other than burning moxa on St 36 every day, just as his ancestors had done. It is recorded that Manpei lived 243 years; his wife, Taku, lived 242 and their son, Mankichi, lived 196 years. In recent records, it is well known that Doctor Shimetaro Hara (deceased) used to burn moxa on his St 36 every day and he lived to be over 100 years of age.

The importance of St 36

"Mi Bing" is closely related to the idea of longevity and moxibustion on the acupuncture point St 36 (stomach 36: Zu San Li in Chinese, Ashi-no-san-ri in Japanese). A Japanese folk tale from the Edo era (1603-1867) about Farmer Manpei tells that when Manpei was asked whether he had any secret to maintaining long life, he answered that he had no secret other than burning moxa on St 36 every day, just as his ancestors had done. It is recorded that Manpei lived 243 years; his wife, Taku, lived 242 and their son, Mankichi, lived 196 years. In recent records, it is well known that Doctor Shimetaro Hara (deceased) used to burn moxa on his St 36 every day and he lived to be over 100 years of age.

Yes, totally agree with this. I learned this 20 years ago and keep coming back to it. Very good and what's more, it's very, very low cost. The only downside is the smoke but a small fan will take care of that.

Hello All,

Great article, thanks for the heads up - two other possible approaches would be to use gua sha on ST36, scraping in a downward direction 20-30 times - the other approach would be to apply an essential oil, such as lavender, or use Nutragena (or any other lotion with a high urea content, this comes from an old article in The American Journal of Acupuncture back in the early 90's).

R

Was using tiger balm, but I've been considering trying this...

http://www.lhasaoms.com/OSmoxa_Moxa_Spray-42-1093-page.html

I believe circle walking takes good care of that acupoint.

Thanks for opening this thread anyway.

I believe circle walking takes good care of that acupoint.

Thanks for opening this thread anyway.

No way circle walking is the same as applying moxa to ST-36... sorry. Totally different.

It is possible that it has the same or similar effect.

If you feel the skin where zusanli is, and then dorsiflex (bring your toes and foot towards you), you will notice that the tibialis anterior stimulates the point. Not as much as pressing alongside the tibia...but if you try rapidly dorsiflexing and relaxing for a good 10 minutes, an effect is noticeable.

Image281.gif

Sorry,

I practice Bagua, circle walking included. Applying moxa at this point has a completely different reaction. An effect may be noticeable by flexing but no where near the reaction of moxa on this point.

Sorry,

I practice Bagua, circle walking included. Applying moxa at this point has a completely different reaction. An effect may be noticeable by flexing but no where near the reaction of moxa on this point.

Agree, totally different.

My understanding is that it has been classically applied (moxa to st36) coming out of winter into spring. But I use the point all the time with people. Quit doing moxa though - stinks too much for me and difficult to ventilate properly in clinic. Good effect,though. Direct qi projection works as well.