UTI

The Eyes and Soul

I've been working on bettering my eyesight the past 6 months, with real good results. When I started I was wearing lenses all the time, with -5.00 in strength. Now I pretty often go without lenses, I mostly use my first pair of glasses I ever got (got them when I was 11), and I have -3.50 on the lenses. It's a real interesting journey, Ive confronted a lot of shit in my subconscious along the way. It's amazong what a practical way to subdue emotions it is, to introvert oneself and withdraw the senses.

Is anyone doing anything similar? I got triggered to start it after watching one of chunyi lin's students talking about how she lost her glasses (she had the same fault as me). Anyone done it and gotten back to perfect vision? I've read a lot about different methods, but simply cupping the eyes and focusing on releasing emotional tension and envisioning the eyes as healthy seems to be the gist of it.

I really don't do it that long. Two times a day, for around 5 minutes each time. I'm not sure, but I think it's mostly about the intention, and about keeping an awareness in the eyes during the rest of the days.

Thanks!

Personally I like to take energy away from the eyes. We spend most of the day using our eyes as the primary sense to communicate with the world, and overstimulate them, creating extra tension.

Cupping with the palms seems good, but then breathe and put the attention somewhere else.

I've found that eye pillows really help to disengage the eyes.

...Do you do the method as the student described in the video?...

Hi there,

Do you have a link to the video?

Thanks.

Don't have the link, it was in one of darin hamel's "chunyi lin yadda yada" threads.

yeah, maybe it's a question of what energy? Excess is never any good, obviously. But in my opinion, all energy can be changed/transformed. When focusing on the eyes and spreading joy, acceptance, curiosity and love in them, the previously stagnant energy starts recirculating, the muscles relax, and the vision improves.

Is anyone doing anything similar? I got triggered to start it after watching one of chunyi lin's students talking about how she lost her glasses (she had the same fault as me). Anyone done it and gotten back to perfect vision? I've read a lot about different methods, but simply cupping the eyes and focusing on releasing emotional tension and envisioning the eyes as healthy seems to be the gist of it.

Personally I like to take energy away from the eyes. We spend most of the day using our eyes as the primary sense to communicate with the world, and overstimulate them, creating extra tension.

I've been quite interested in this and did some study- mainly in relation to art and architecture- and there certainly is an overemphasis of vision over the other senses, it's technically called 'ocularcentrism' and goes hand in hand with the descartian dualistic mindstate that's influenced us over the last few centuries. When you think about how touch, taste, smell, and to a degree hearing, all bring the world into us, whereas vision separates us from the world, it starts to make more sense. This line of thought can be looked into quite deeply; there's a great book on it called 'the eyes of the skin' by juhanni pallasma.

just occured to me now that in TCM terms the eyes are related to the liver and Wood element, which is strongly Yang...

A

Cupping with the palms seems good, but then breathe and put the attention somewhere else.

Our medical qigong treatment does call for the eyes to be directly treated as well as the surrounding acupoints. But we always pull the qi down and out through K1.

The liver is Yin actually.

Sorry, wasn't very clear. The Liver as an organ is Yin but the Wood element and energy is Yang, as opposed to Metal and Water being Yin.

I've been working on bettering my eyesight the past 6 months, with real good results. When I started I was wearing lenses all the time, with -5.00 in strength. Now I pretty often go without lenses, I mostly use my first pair of glasses I ever got (got them when I was 11), and I have -3.50 on the lenses. It's a real interesting journey, Ive confronted a lot of shit in my subconscious along the way. It's amazong what a practical way to subdue emotions it is, to introvert oneself and withdraw the senses.

i was shown a nice exercise which is similar a short while ago- it's cupping the eyes with the palms and keeping the eyes wide open, then rotating them three times clockwise and anti-clockwise- there's also the idea that you're releasing any heat, stagnant or windy energy from the eyes and head.

On another note, I'd be really interested to learn more about the connections between the directions and emotions (I think NLP goes into this abit)- today I was experimenting and kinda felt that if you look downwards it seems to connect to feelings of guilt/shame/sadness, whilst looking upwards feels kind of exasperating, gazing to the left feels kind of sly and suspicious and gazing to the right feels kinda crafty!

If you think about the directions your eyes go when experiencing an emotion, this perhaps forges the psychoneuro connections...

It'd be interesting to know if this the visual directions extend to the greater directions in terms of fengshui/bagua theory?

A

On another note, I'd be really interested to learn more about the connections between the directions and emotions (I think NLP goes into this abit)- today I was experimenting and kinda felt that if you look downwards it seems to connect to feelings of guilt/shame/sadness, whilst looking upwards feels kind of exasperating, gazing to the left feels kind of sly and suspicious and gazing to the right feels kinda crafty!

If you think about the directions your eyes go when experiencing an emotion, this perhaps forges the psychoneuro connections...

It'd be interesting to know if this the visual directions extend to the greater directions in terms of fengshui/bagua theory?

A

Ooh, sounds interesting. I've never though about that, except when meditating I usually set my vision up a bit because I feel "heavier" the more down I look. It sounds like the temperaments you describe could quite easily be applied to the bagua.

Hey Scotty,

I use those every day while I meditate... And play relaxing music...

"Disengage the eyes" that is a good way to put it...

Mel