Sign in to follow this  
saltydeath

Healing Tao Retreats?

Has anyone been to any of the Healing Tao summer retreats? I was wondering if it would be worth my time. There are so many that it's hard to know the difference between all of them, but I'd like to do something that would let me leave with some kind of certification so I could begin teaching qigong to beginners, like folks at the YMCA or a senior course that are only looking for an introduction to the subject. Any thoughts?

I've never been to the Summer Retreats but I have been to a number of Michael Winn's workshops and have benefited tremendously.

I'm actually going to be doing a work-study there for the entire summer, working in the kitchen, so if you end up coming make sure to say hey!

I agree that they do offer a lot and that can seem confusing. Just go with what seems right for you. I'm not sure about certifications, you can get an associate instructor's certification but I think it takes a year.

Peace!

-Ryan

Hi,

I also havent been on the retreat in Chiang Mai, but I atended basic and fusions

courses in Europe by certified instructors. Furthermore I did the Associate

instructor retreat by senior instrustor in EU.

My advice is do the basic and when ready step by step fusions and so on.

And then go to the AI training localy. But these is my opinion only.

Best wishes, Jox

I would avoid going to Chia's Tao Garden in Thailand. I went some yrs back and it was such a disappointment that I ended up taking walks through the country-side rather than continue going to MC's lectures. That, after saving $, taking time off from work, and traveling (literally) 1/2 way around the world in order to attend. The instructors' presentations were far better than Chia's. Chia did not seem to have the genuine interest in teaching students any more - and so would ramble through various stories etc. and the practices he did teach were more aligned with his own interests rather than what is appropriate for students.

Has anyone been to any of the Healing Tao summer retreats? I was wondering if it would be worth my time. There are so many that it's hard to know the difference between all of them, but I'd like to do something that would let me leave with some kind of certification so I could begin teaching qigong to beginners, like folks at the YMCA or a senior course that are only looking for an introduction to the subject. Any thoughts?

um... what are your interests/goals in studying qigong? it makes a difference. 90% of what you learn at Healing Tao is NOT gonna be something you'll teach at the Y or a senior center. so if you just enjoy qigong as a movement practice and would like to share it, a.) certification isn't necessarily required if you can demonstrate proficiency & enthusiasm to the facility manager(s), and b.) if you are still very much a novice yourself (which i'm guessing you might be) there are far simpler programs out there that are designed specifically for laypeople and focus on breathing, relaxation, focus, posture, and movement. for the kinds of classes you'd be teaching at the Y or a senior center, you really want to keep it simple.

so yeah, what do you really want? are you interested in alchemy? awakening? healing? basic health maintenance? and what is your experience?

Healing Tao is very worth your time, if you're into what they're teaching. they teach it well. but if what you're really into is more about serving your community and helping people improve their health, i'd say go elsewhere for that. i'll try to check this thread later, but i don't spend much time here, so feel free to contact me directly if you like.

um... what are your interests/goals in studying qigong? it makes a difference. 90% of what you learn at Healing Tao is NOT gonna be something you'll teach at the Y or a senior center. so if you just enjoy qigong as a movement practice and would like to share it, a.) certification isn't necessarily required if you can demonstrate proficiency & enthusiasm to the facility manager(s), and b.) if you are still very much a novice yourself (which i'm guessing you might be) there are far simpler programs out there that are designed specifically for laypeople and focus on breathing, relaxation, focus, posture, and movement. for the kinds of classes you'd be teaching at the Y or a senior center, you really want to keep it simple.

so yeah, what do you really want? are you interested in alchemy? awakening? healing? basic health maintenance? and what is your experience?

Healing Tao is very worth your time, if you're into what they're teaching. they teach it well. but if what you're really into is more about serving your community and helping people improve their health, i'd say go elsewhere for that. i'll try to check this thread later, but i don't spend much time here, so feel free to contact me directly if you like.

I agree. If you want to learn more about the basics of qigong I would look up a local qigong society or an acupuncture school and see if they offer training. You might get lucky and find a native teacher. I have had several master qigong teachers tell me it really takes about three years of practice before one can really start teaching qigong with any skill or understanding.

If you feel comfortable enough you don't need a certification at all. Many people who are certified don't know much about what they are doing and wouldn't recognize chi or chi development if it came up and kissed them in the face. Learn a basic qigong set and Just get some people in the park and do some basic qigong once a week. Start small. A great tai chi teacher I know volunteers at a nursing home once a week.

Learning qigong is a lifelong path. It transforms you over time on the qi, jing, and shen levels. So much becomes revealed in the practice.

s

Sign in to follow this