Seth Ananda

Internal Organ Meditations

Hi Fellow Bum's :)

I have been wondering for a while several questions about Internal Organ meditations so here goes...

1. What are the benefits? I guess different schools would say different things but I really do not know, so would love to hear...

2. What books/links, or which Teachers are a good source of info and/or actual methods that I could learn?

3. Does anyone have any methods that do not require a master that I could learn?

4. Is there difference between health methods and internal alchemy methods or do they bleed into each other?

5. does anyone wish to recount any experiences with these methods?

6. and finally what's the relationship [if any] between the liver and the heart?

Thanks everyone, I look forward to your wonderful answers :lol:

Seth.

Hi Seth,

1. Possible Benefits: Better health, Longevity, etc.

2. Books: I recommend Qigong Empowerment by Shou-Yu Liang and Wen-Ching Wu - it's a book of 5 sub-books (all printed in this one edition) - you'll probably want to read the sub-book on medical Qigong first.

3. A Master: Everybody recommends a Master - but if you don't have one you could still try to read about it and make up your own mind on how best to proceed :)

4. Difference between health and internal alchemy: The organ targeted health Qigong you're asking for focuses very much on the 12 organ meridians. The internal alchemy is more about breathing patterns combined with some of the 8 extraordinary meridians - the book I recommended above also contains some info about that as well in the sub-book on Daoist Qigong.

5. Some experiences with the above: I use the stuff I learned from this book every day to complement ailments, general development as well as my martial arts training.

6. Connection between the liver and heart: Not really a whole lot; the meridians of the two don't connect to one another and according to element theory they belong to wood and fire, respectively. From a martial arts standpoint following the five element theory (e.g. in Xingyiquan) Fire is used (through the theory of mutual conquest) to counter and defeat a Wood-based attack - but that's probably not what you had in mind?

Happy reading and best regards,

-matt

Hi Seth,

Im also looking forward to replies to your post.

Dont know much about this stuff myself.And can answer your No.5

Had been very ill due to accident and tried medical qi gong,which is some simple movments/postures and normal breathing.And it works wonders for realigning ,literally dislocated bones moving back into place and healing internal organs.

#1 The colour matching really sharpened my focus and ability to visualize

#4 Since my colour system (tao)

does not match the chakra system colours (my wifes tribe)

that does not match the Vedic Heritage system (my tabla system)

that does not match the Aura (Miles Davis and Palle Mikkelborg's system)

#5 I was taught to always follow the organs in sequence.

Colour relation to what I could visualize the organ as being

Red=heart: The countertops at Borders nice bright red

Yellow=spleen: The Nextel sprint shade

White=lungs: Cumulonimbus (huge, brilliantly white, puffy, towering thunderhead/anvil clouds)

Kidney= Black or blue depending on the school ( Black w/ blue adrenals work for me)

Liver= Green : Florescent brilliant flowing jade river or maybe the lushest grass (lawn)

Peace,

Bobby

Edited by sifusufi

Hi Fellow Bum's :)

I have been wondering for a while several questions about Internal Organ meditations so here goes...

1. What are the benefits? I guess different schools would say different things but I really do not know, so would love to hear...

2. What books/links, or which Teachers are a good source of info and/or actual methods that I could learn?

3. Does anyone have any methods that do not require a master that I could learn?

4. Is there difference between health methods and internal alchemy methods or do they bleed into each other?

5. does anyone wish to recount any experiences with these methods?

6. and finally what's the relationship [if any] between the liver and the heart?

Thanks everyone, I look forward to your wonderful answers :lol:

Seth.

Benefits: enormous. You cannot progress in the spiritual path with "dirty" organs and blocked channels.

Method: Bagua is a top class one. I can assure you that.

Where to learn: There are teachers of this internal art held in Melbourne. After conducting an online search I came across the Gao style being taugh at St Albans

http://www.ozmaforums.com/Forums/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=776

Sure there must be a teacher that offers classes in any of the local parks.

• Like 1

Thanks Devoid, I will check out that book, it looks really interesting.

Thanks Sifu sufi, I am not sure for what, but thanks anyway :lol:

And thanks Durkhrod. I am currently doing Bagua and Taiji with the Chinese Taiji boxing association. I havent seen any specific organ meditations in it yet.

I am more interested in sitting meditations that involve moving chi from organ to organ, or mixing organ chi... Or Using the specific meridian lines in a way that palpably connects with the respective organ... Things I have only heard about.

I think Taomeow may have talked about these a while ago, in an inner Alchemy context but I can not find the conversation...

Any Info is good :)

Thanks Everyone

I've been following Michael Winn's methods with great results:

http://www.healingtaousa.com/index_standard_2010.html

He has a free ebook on the Inner Smile which includes smiling to the organs. His later methods link the Five Yin Organs to his Five Shen Theory.

As for question 6, basically, the Liver (Green/Rising/Wood) nourishes the Heart (Red/Dispersing/Fire).

...And thanks Durkhrod. I am currently doing Bagua and Taiji with the Chinese Taiji boxing association. I havent seen any specific organ meditations in it yet.

I am more interested in sitting meditations that involve moving chi from organ to organ, or mixing organ chi... Or Using the specific meridian lines in a way that palpably connects with the respective organ... Things I have only heard about.

I think Taomeow may have talked about these a while ago, in an inner Alchemy context but I can not find the conversation...

Any Info is good :)

Thanks Everyone

If you practice Bagua properly (better in the park) that would take care of the organs without you having to carry any specific meditations. Internal alchemy will be triggered automatically to the highest level plus all the internal physiological changes you will experience, including increased mental awareness and higher conscious attainment if your karma is right.

All the best.

Edited: wording.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Minke De Vos has a CD w/ guided meditation Full Body Smile, that delves into the organs and there 'taoists' natures and is very well done. Its on her Tao Basics CD. She's at Silent Ground and is from the Healing Tao tradition.

Michael

• Like 1

One of the more well known organ meditations is the Six Healing Sounds. Here's a link to the wiki about it. Take that info with a grain of salt but it correlates with my experience with the set. Though I (thankfully) haven't had to use this one to recover from any significant illness I do find it very therapeutic. It's a great set to close the day with.

Russell

Northwest Internal Arts

Mantak Chia explained it this way: your inner organs are the altars in which your inner spirits reside.

If you worship an external spirit, the energy will go outside and feed the external spirit.

If you meditate on your inner organs, the energy will go inside and feed the inner spirits.

Simple and profound.

• Like 1

[...]

[...]

Chapters 4 and 5 in sub-book 2 of the book I recommended (Qigong Empowerment) contain 8-meridian (extraordinary) and 14-meridian circulation (organ), respectively.

It's written very densely, and there are a few typos too (i.e. the words governing and conception vessel are mixed up in the latter, but this becomes clear when you look at the meridian points referred to) - essentially you will need to study (i.e. learn) the path of the meridians more or less by heart to do the 14-meridian (organ) - or at least - the 108 meridian points which you need to go through to complete a circuit. Please also note that the romanization of the Chinese labelled acupoints may vary slightly between the text and the accompanying meridian charts in the appendix to the book.

I wish you happy learning (the 108 points are a lot of work to learn which will likely take you many weeks of diligent study, so I suggest starting with the Daoist 8-extraordinary meridians first until your comfortable with that and while you learn to memorize all the 108 points of the organ variant before trying out the 14-meridian (organ) circulation. Caution: Do not try this one until you know all 108 points by heart and without looking back at the charts for help!

NB: You mentioned sitting meditation: I prefer to do this standing as I find it easier to work on this when the legs are not bent or crossed - but if your meridians are open I don't see a reason why you should not be able to do this sitting.

Six healing sounds and inner smile work specifically with the organs and are very good exercise that I love to do and benefit a lot from. Perfect for emotional balance. Fusion of the five elements takes that process much deeper. THe sounds and smile you can learn n your own fusion IMO requires a teacher. Learn it from Winn or Andy Fretwell. Fusion also works the eight extraordinary.

I had a discussion whit my acupuncturist about the relationship between the liver and the heart just the other day. He said that the "bad energy" from the Gall Bladder which is strongly connected to the liver can spill over to the heart or something like that. More specifically in my case he thought that frustration, irritation and anger in the liver/gall bladder could spill over into the heart and create haste and coldness in the heart. After he used a gall bladder point I could feel an angry energy retreating from the heart over to the area of the liver and got very annoyed for a while. After that the heart felt much better and softer. Same thing happened only stronger in the next session.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone :)

I probably should have guessed that Inner smile and 6 healing sounds would be mentioned, (and thanks for the time taken to give the advice) but its not quite what I am looking for.

I have lots of experience with Inner smile and 6 sounds, but have heard more about practices where you [something like this any way...] draw energy into a specific organ, mix it or balance it somehow, then move it into the next, doing the same and so on... maybe following the elemental cycles... and continuously, A bit like the microcosmic orbit but in the organs, as in it keeps going round and round, building and balancing...

And thanks Again ;)

Thanks everyone :)

I probably should have guessed that Inner smile and 6 healing sounds would be mentioned, (and thanks for the time taken to give the advice) but its not quite what I am looking for.

I have lots of experience with Inner smile and 6 sounds, but have heard more about practices where you [something like this any way...] draw energy into a specific organ, mix it or balance it somehow, then move it into the next, doing the same and so on... maybe following the elemental cycles... and continuously, A bit like the microcosmic orbit but in the organs, as in it keeps going round and round, building and balancing...

And thanks Again ;)

From my experience what your describing sounds like Fusion of the Five Elements 1 in the HT system. Generally, Inner Smile and 6 sounds are a prereqs for it.

M. Winn starts with the Creation Cycle to Nourish the Five Shen. It spins clockwise around the torso. If you're interested you can check it out here:

http://www.healingtaousa.com/fusion1.html

It's great stuff.

Mantak Chia explained it this way: your inner organs are the altars in which your inner spirits reside.

If you worship an external spirit, the energy will go outside and feed the external spirit.

If you meditate on your inner organs, the energy will go inside and feed the inner spirits.

Simple and profound.

Thanks Little1, i like that.

Seth, there is a variant on the Chia version i learnt where you take the colour/energy of the organ you are meditating on to nurture the next one, it ramps it up a bit, but i get you're looking for something different.

Re the HT Fusion stuff, i found it extremely Yang and not all to my liking, i'd be interested in a more yin approach to this kind of concentration of elixir.

Chapters 4 and 5 in sub-book 2 of the book I recommended (Qigong Empowerment) contain 8-meridian (extraordinary) and 14-meridian circulation (organ), respectively.

It's written very densely, and there are a few typos too (i.e. the words governing and conception vessel are mixed up in the latter, but this becomes clear when you look at the meridian points referred to) - essentially you will need to study (i.e. learn) the path of the meridians more or less by heart to do the 14-meridian (organ) - or at least - the 108 meridian points which you need to go through to complete a circuit. Please also note that the romanization of the Chinese labelled acupoints may vary slightly between the text and the accompanying meridian charts in the appendix to the book.

I wish you happy learning (the 108 points are a lot of work to learn which will likely take you many weeks of diligent study, so I suggest starting with the Daoist 8-extraordinary meridians first until your comfortable with that and while you learn to memorize all the 108 points of the organ variant before trying out the 14-meridian (organ) circulation. Caution: Do not try this one until you know all 108 points by heart and without looking back at the charts for help!

NB: You mentioned sitting meditation: I prefer to do this standing as I find it easier to work on this when the legs are not bent or crossed - but if your meridians are open I don't see a reason why you should not be able to do this sitting.

There is also a sitting meditation 'Golden Light meditation' in this book. Very deep and profound. Highly recommended.