Sign in to follow this  
voidisyinyang

Amongst White Clouds documentary

Guest paul walter

Yeah this one is a real disappointment--the guy who made it is a flake and so are most of the monks (what else would one expect-they're Buddhists). The old guy near the beginning (I think?) is a good example though. I've seen it twice cause I like mountains, hermits and quiet :D . Paul

Yeah this one is a real disappointment--the guy who made it is a flake and so are most of the monks (what else would one expect-they're Buddhists). The old guy near the beginning (I think?) is a good example though. I've seen it twice cause I like mountains, hermits and quiet :D . Paul

Haha yea I agree the guy who made it = Definitely a flake.

Bumping this up cause there is some discussion over it in another thread.

My brother-in-law's comment: If they are enlightened then we are in trouble! Just a bunch of senile old geriatrics hiding in the mountains!

LOL whilst I don't share the extremes of his view he certainly has a point. There was at least one of the "Masters" who certainly fitted that description.

The book, Road to Heaven: Encounters with Chinese Hermits, upon which the doco was based, was far better in my opinion.

I sort of had the same impression as your brother in law, although it was a very beautiful documentary.

As a Buddhist, I kind of agree. Not all the hermits seemed very realized in my opinion, though some definitely were highly realized as well. The more enlightened hermits who emanated their attainment very much inspired me through the film though. The scenery and music was very nice but the "white" guy though a seeker, was definitely a beginner. This is all fine, but the film reflects this enough to make it not one of my favorite Buddhist movies.

I like "Yogis of Tibet" way, way better as a Documentary, and the masters in the Movie are very, very deeply enlightened. IMHE and O.

Here is a link to the entire movie online. Yogi's of Tibet

Edited by Vajrahridaya

I would also like to comment that taking an extended retreat into the mountains and leaving behind all ones wealth, family and positions in order to more fully discover how one's mind ticks and how nature works is not an easy task at all, for the vast majority that is. We also don't know at what point during an inner process these video's were taken of any of the particular "hermits". As... sometimes during retreat, you are very joyous for long periods of time, and then for a short period, you see something within that is disturbing and is coming to light. Some of these hermits might have been having some great inner things happening and didn't appreciate being let out of their cave during that time to talk with a naive Western seeker as well. They are after all "Hermits" looking within, away from the world for the sake of higher learning. Some of them did indeed seem quite enlightened and quite happy to share their realization of whatever. Others might have just been happy to see a camera as well? You know... one shouldn't think so black and white here.

I couldn't get into watching the video but I read the book. The book also speaks of Taoist hermits, is the movie only about Buddhist ones?

I couldn't get into watching the video but I read the book. The book also speaks of Taoist hermits, is the movie only about Buddhist ones?

I don't know if they specify?? I can't remember, I haven't seen the movie in quite some time.

Yup ... not a Taoist to be seen ;)

My brother-in-law's comment: If they are enlightened then we are in trouble! Just a bunch of senile old geriatrics hiding in the mountains!

The thing I hate most about these documentaries on enlightened recluses, is that the filmmakers show us the beautiful mountain scenery, and the happy-go-lucky attitudes of the smiling faces of the enlightened mountain dwellers, but the hermits never allow the cameramen to enter the back rooms of the hermitages to show the droves of women that are required to make these ascetic hermits so smiley and happy! (just kidding!)

I'm sure that many here already know this, but I want to say it anyway to stimulate some thought for a few.

I am respectfully amused by those like your brother-in-law who likely think the awakened stateless-state is some fabulous, spectacular, euphoric, state of mind. I believe Enlightenment is very ordinary, very simple, very matter of fact where everything is realized to be just as it is -- much like what is depicted in the docu video. And not even does the question about the fact of enlightenment arise. Its nothing special, nothing spectacular, nothing glorious because nobody will be there when it happens. If someone is expecting more, then they will likely be surprised when it happens to them if they are holding an opinion that something marvelous, extraordinary, and magnificent will happen upon enlightenment. I suspect that from an unawakened standpoint, the life of an enlightened one would seem very boring, unattractive, and too uneventful. I believe that attainment will make one smile with astonishment over how incredibly simple, obvious, and easy it is, once it is realized. But until then we all must conduct the necessary search before realizing it was actually unnecessary.

Rinzen may have said it well:

If you understand, things are just as they are;

If you dont understand, things are just as they are.

P.S. - Excellent video, Drew.

Edited by garuda

Guest paul walter

Let me quote here what Bill Porter has to say in regards to this topic:

He wrote the excellent book: Road to Heaven: Encounters with Chinese Hermits. Mercury House, 1993.

The book is written in an interminable style--endless tortured prose describing trails, landmarks etc in the most unengaging way. Still, his encounters with a few taoist hermits makes it almost worthwhile. I particullarly like the photo and story of the blind taoist whos eyes "went out like two candles" from doing wrong qigong.

The book is written in an interminable style--endless tortured prose describing trails, landmarks etc in the most unengaging way. Still, his encounters with a few taoist hermits makes it almost worthwhile.

That's funny. I recently read this as I have enjoyed some of his other works, especially "The Zen Works of Stonehouse". It occurred to me while I was reading it that he seems to have included a lot of superfluous geographic information that really was not germane to the the main themes. I could understand if it detailed(which it did in some cases) the isolation of some of these hermits. More often than not it was "then we took the path on the left 100 meters south of the bridge". Decent book but I really don't think I'll be going to visit these folks. Don't really need directions to their hut.

One of his earlier works so I cut it some slack.

As for the film, I thought it was just okay. Probably on par with the book. Not top drawer film making but there are definitely some pearls of wisdom here and there.

Guest paul walter

That's funny. I recently read this as I have enjoyed some of his other works, especially "The Zen Works of Stonehouse". It occurred to me while I was reading it that he seems to have included a lot of superfluous geographic information that really was not germane to the the main themes. I could understand if it detailed(which it did in some cases) the isolation of some of these hermits. More often than not it was "then we took the path on the left 100 meters south of the bridge". Decent book but I really don't think I'll be going to visit these folks. Don't really need directions to their hut.

yeah, this was my problem with it--if you haven't been on the journey he has it's just not that interesting being told about an old stone on an old track near on an old hill. Don't really understand how a copy editor, or even himself, would be unaware of this problem. His other stuff can be good, though his Zen Baggage can be a little turgid at times too

Sign in to follow this