FAT

Career choice...

Hey guys!

This probably isn't in the right section... but I really look up to you guys and would appreciate any input.

I finished school late last year and STILL haven't even had a job. Going to be 19 in July. I do realise that this is due largely to laziness... but I have been unable to identify any career path that would even slightly interest me in going down... nothing I have found resonates with me in any way. All besides spirituality -- but I am no Guru and have no profound knowledge. Like many I am but a complete beginner at this too. Currently there is pretty much zero direction in my life and as a result there is next to zero motivation for even doing anything about it.

It would be great if you guys could help me out one way or another; suggest a direction, help me out of this irksome psychological pit, etc... any advice of any kind.

Thanks everyone -- you guys are awesome.

:lol:

• Like 1

Hello Fat. :)

my response is : Do Something. Preferably Do Something Constructive.

Anything that you dont find desperately nauseating.

And through doing it, you will find out who you are and what you want and are good at etc.

Begin, and Continue.

Otherwise you might just stagnate. Like an ole pond.

Work in a bookshop.

Or a hospital.

Or in a park.

Or a cafe.

Go to a poetry reading, a martial arts class, do tai chi in the park, grow some vegetables.

In other words, start trying stuff.

Whichever thing makes you feel less despondent or more energised, is a clue to follow it further to see where it leads.

Sometimes you have to wander about a bit, or a lot, before finding your bliss. Not many people find it on the sofa.

Actually it is pretty good on the sofa, with the right person, so scratch that last one.

Good Luck, Fat.

Cat is very wise ... I agree do something - voluntary or otherwise - you'll enjoy it.

John

I'm doing Sales.

However, I'm going to look into something else.

Maybe Non-Profit?

Not sure.

Will see.

I'm having the same problem though.

Maybe we can help one another out and I'm 25. Lol.

Roll up your shirt sleeves do sum work even if you have to flip burgers at Macky Ds you need to get out there and get something. Plus you will have sum cash spend time at local library they can help you to find a job and its free. Best Wishes Cloudhand

Edited by Cloudhand

I'm in a similar place, a wanderer myself. Took a job out of college a few years ago, wasn't for me, quit after a few months. Decided to go to law school. Got in and began attending last fall. Quit about a month in.

Been looking for a meaningful job ever since. I recently interviewed for a non-profit fundraising job (counseling troubled teens). Seemed like it would be rewarding, but maybe not ideal.

Anyways, I was at one of Michael Winn's workshops (Fusion 2/3) in April and asked if they needed help with their retreat center this summer. Lo and behold, they did! I'm gonna be working in the kitchen doing a volunteer type thing for six weeks (free room/board and some classes). I'm pretty excited about it. Y'all should come visit!

http://www.healingtaoretreats.com/

Back to topic, I also agree that doing something, anything, is important. But I think it is also important to not get a job you hate and can't leave. Being stuck is no fun, and quitting isn't either (I should know). Maybe something part-time for now?

Living an active, healthy, lifestyle is always important, especially if unemployed. Get out of the house, go to social gatherings, take risks, exercise, get your blood moving. Tell life everyday how incredible you think she is.

That's about all I got, I'm no expert on careers haha. Perhaps seeing a career counselor or at least consulting career books would help.

But yeah, I hear ya. Similar interest in spirituality, too rebellious and passionate for a boring 9 to 5, not ambitious enough to pursue a creative career. I'm looking into doing something that aligns with my interests in health and well-being now. We'll see how it goes. Good luck!

-Ryan

Look for a job in a spiritual center or get a scholarship for work in an ashram type setting.

They will teach you skills and you will learn as you go.

You might even become a guru some day LOL

RyanO, you rock! B) Sounds like a great opportunity to be surrounded in a toaist community. Please keep us posted on your summer! :)

Sure thing! :)

Hi Fat,

If you are interested in spirituality only for real good for you .Nothing wrong with that.Its a type of work.

If you are in exploring stage thats cool too,dont worry.But then explore for real ,that counts .Its also work,very hard one .

Its good to get some type of job though i feel no matter what.

Caerrear isnt everything.

Personally i never obeyed wide accepted social recipes for life and know that i would have wilted if i did.

Its all individual.Listen and than follow your heart.

Good luck with everything!

Edited by suninmyeyes

Anyways, I was at one of Michael Winn's workshops (Fusion 2/3) in April and asked if they needed help with their retreat center this summer. Lo and behold, they did! I'm gonna be working in the kitchen doing a volunteer type thing for six weeks (free room/board and some classes). I'm pretty excited about it. Y'all should come visit!

http://www.healingtaoretreats.com/

Woaa, this ginormous crystal feels VERY powerful to me even over the internet. The giant amethyst, not really for some reason.. Anyone else pick up the same feelings?

Anyhow, life is about balance. Between needs & wants, sacrifices & rewards, dreams & reality, spiritual realms & mundane grounding, etc. Although in truth, everything is part of the spiritual path - especially our daily lives & challenges. I suggest you find some older mentors & role models who inspire you. That will help give you some guidance on your future goals..

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

Do as much as possible. Try a little of everthing and take something from each experience. Nothing you do is wasted time,well unless your doing absolutely nothinglaugh.gif Sometimes your personality may guide you to a specific area of employment Just be pro-active! Shalom!

Go to college and get a broad education. If you live in the US that's pretty much mandatory since all schools have requirements, but take classes you find interesting and explore. Getting a Bachelors (and perhaps even a Masters) is a necessity these days for a decent non-physical labor job.

I'm just graduating and possibly will go for a PhD in Religion or maybe go to acupuncture school. I have no clue as of yet. Prior to college I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do so at least now I have some direction due to all the exposure i've had during college to various topics. So I really suggest you go to college. Go to a good one. The level of academic rigor at crappy schools will bother you if you're serious about learning.

Anyone else pick up the same feelings?

The giant amethyst seems much more grounding and higher vibrating.

Edited by Scotty

Hey guys!

This probably isn't in the right section... but I really look up to you guys and would appreciate any input...

If you know it is not, why don't you bother to take a good look at the different forum sections.

This is the correct place:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/forum/13-off-topic/

NOTE: MODS, COULD YOU PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD? THANKS.

I like it here, if anyone cares.

Off Topic threads get less views and replies. I have a personal interest in hearing as many people's replies to the original post as possible.

Edited by Creation

If you know it is not, why don't you bother to take a good look at the different forum sections.

This is the correct place:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/forum/13-off-topic/

Aww c'mon, that's unnecessary. I agree with Creation, and others it seems. Career choice is an important aspect of the Way.

When I got tired of kitchen work, living in my mothers house and coming to the realization I was not going to be the next Eddie Van Halen

I summoned up all the energy I had and got an associates degree in nursing.

It has served me well

Aww c'mon, that's unnecessary. I agree with Creation, and others it seems. Career choice is an important aspect of the Way.

?

OK, if we follow this rationale we should talk about the following:

1. Cars. We need them for transport, hence they are an important aspect of the Way

2. Movies. We need them for entertainment, hence they are an important aspect of the Way

3. House repairs. we need them to live comfortably, hence they are an important aspect of the Way

4. News. They keep us informed about the latest social and political developments of our world, hence they are an important aspect of the Way

5. Travelling. We need to travel in order to learn and grow, hence they are an important aspect of the Way

6. Photography. It will show us different perspectives of our planet, hence they are an important aspect of the Way

7. Cooking. We need it so we can put food in our bodies, hence they are an important aspect of the Way

8. Cleaning. We need it to safeguard our cleanness, hence they are an important aspect of the Way

As you can see, the list could go on and on.

BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL AN IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THE WAY.

So, why don't we change the name of this forum into something like:

THE NEW VOGUE FORUMS.

When I got tired of kitchen work, living in my mothers house and coming to the realization I was not going to be the next Eddie Van Halen

I summoned up all the energy I had and got an associates degree in nursing.

It has served me well

A side effect of this career path has been interstate travel and employment, cool seminars, picking up

Tagalog: Kali

Arabic: dumbek and dancing

Hindi: yoga and tabla;

Spanish: conga, rumba;

Portuguese: samba, capoeira

And if you ever visit ( or happen to work on) the 11th floor at Beth Israel in N.Y.C. where Mandarin is the primary language (patient) a little knowledge of the Jamaican culture (employee) might rub off as well.

Biz hundert azoi ve tsvantsik

Zol zion mit Mazel

Edited by sifusufi

We could just call it the "waste our time bitching about everyone else" forum.

:P

haha that and durkhrods upfront bold commands made me lol

Guest paul walter

Hey guys!

This probably isn't in the right section... but I really look up to you guys and would appreciate any input.

I finished school late last year and STILL haven't even had a job. Going to be 19 in July. I do realise that this is due largely to laziness... but I have been unable to identify any career path that would even slightly interest me in going down... nothing I have found resonates with me in any way. All besides spirituality -- but I am no Guru and have no profound knowledge. Like many I am but a complete beginner at this too. Currently there is pretty much zero direction in my life and as a result there is next to zero motivation for even doing anything about it.

It would be great if you guys could help me out one way or another; suggest a direction, help me out of this irksome psychological pit, etc... any advice of any kind.

Thanks everyone -- you guys are awesome.

:lol:

Everyone knows the use of the useful,

but no-one knows the use of the useless.

Tao Teh Ching

If you can make use of that lack of motivation you can go far. As long as it's not apathy it's actually very healthy, the beginnings of a hermit or a monk type existence/mind-it's a prerequisite in all the non-materialistic wisdom traditions. 'Our' culture doesn't encourage a non-economic model of existence so everyone around you will try and make you feel guilty for not being a cog (including yourself :o ). I, like Guy Debord, have an "immense lack of ambition" ;). Paul