Sign in to follow this  
Sunya

Visible magnetic fields

That is fantastic!

I wouldn't want to have to pay their electric bill though.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

Pay the electric bill of UC Berkeley? I'm sure that they'd love the private donation! I'll pray at Director Blum for your enlightenment.

Mars has a very sparse magnetic field that does not cover the entire planet. The strongest region of the magnetic field is located in the southern hemisphere at 180 degrees right ascension and approximately 45 degrees south declination.

MARS_ALS.JPG

Any manned missions to Mars would land in this area to receive some benefit from the magnetic field. The Electris region of Mars is named because of the magnetic field that has been observed with orbital instrumentation.

Erm.. I don't believe those were visible magnetic fields. Pretty sure it's just a documentary with special effects overlapping a real time video -- especially since they were talking a lot about "What magnetic fields would look like" .

Mars has a very sparse magnetic field that does not cover the entire planet. The strongest region of the magnetic field is located in the southern hemisphere at 180 degrees right ascension and approximately 45 degrees south declination.

This is generally considered the reason why Mars lost its atmosphere during its early life. Without the magnetic field the solar winds blow the atmosphere away.

Peace & Love!

Erm.. I don't believe those were visible magnetic fields. Pretty sure it's just a documentary with special effects overlapping a real time video -- especially since they were talking a lot about "What magnetic fields would look like" .

I agree. It was a production put together by students at berkeley about what working in the lab is like. I liked the green ever expanding field sequence! It shows how an organized field generating structure displaces random magnetic phenomena.

Sign in to follow this