RyanO

Miso Soup

I'm enjoying a cup of delicious Miso soup right now, and thought I'd start a thread as an homage to this truly divine food.

I love it 2! Do you prepare your own?

Ingredients used for a simple recipe that tastes hell good are as follow:

1. Organic miso paste (there are several varities)

2. Dashi (Japanese soup stock)

2. Dried seaweed (wakame)

3. Tofu, chopped into mini cubes

4. Spring onions

I make a chicken broth soup its easy I call it Chinese Dream Soup. Boil a whole chicken in water skim the broth add whole onions boil again this soup is simple but a knock out. Cloudhand

Has anyone heard? :huh:

Miso Soup Kelp is Consuming the California Coast

miso-soup-kelp.jpg

NICE! Now is the time for you guys to start collecting all of that sea weed. Very high in protein and great for miso soup! :lol:

I am a miso supporter. Can I have some help clearing something up?

I bought some tempeh from the health food store last week. I started talking to the cashier about fermented soy. She said it is best to avoid all soy, especially for men.

I told her that fermented soy is different. It was my belief that fermented soy did not contain the substance that mimics estrogen. She said it does to her knowledge.

Well, I looked it up. It seems that it does contain the same phytoestrogens.

Does this mean I should avoid foods like miso and tempeh?

Is this bad information? If so, what exactly is the difference between soy and fermented soy products like miso and tempeh?

Fermentation gets rid of the phytic acid in soy, which inhibits mineral absorption, but does not get rid of the phytoestrogens.

So fermented soy (miso, tamari, tempeh) are okay for menopausal females (who MAYBE could use the estrogen) but soy is not good for babies (soy formula) or guys period. However, the amount you'd get in tamari and miso is probably not an issue.

Unfortunately, there are other serious problems over and above mineral absorption and phytoestrogens.

Here's an enlightening link:

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert

• Like 1

Fermentation gets rid of the phytic acid in soy, which inhibits mineral absorption, but does not get rid of the phytoestrogens.

So fermented soy (miso, tamari, tempeh) are okay for menopausal females (who MAYBE could use the estrogen) but soy is not good for babies (soy formula) or guys period. However, the amount you'd get in tamari and miso is probably not an issue.

Unfortunately, there are other serious problems over and above mineral absorption and phytoestrogens.

Here's an enlightening link:

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert

Are those in miso as well? I like miso and find it energizing. :(