Sign in to follow this  
al.

Hungry Ghosts, Grief, Beauty

In many traditions there's the belief that when a being can't transition after death, due to a variety of causes, they end up as a disembodied entity that 'feeds' of the living.

Although the causes can be varied, big ones seem to be when someone is trapped in strong negative emotional states and attachments, and also when there is some kind of disharmony with the living family and friends of the being. I am reminded of a saying that goes something like "the tears of one's community carry you like a boat over to the next world". So proper grieving is necessary to help out those that come before us, our ancestors.

Now, grief like death, seems to be something of a taboo in our culture; there's a lack of acceptable ways to express it in families and communities, particularly with men.

If one is to share these views at all, then our society, our cities, are besieged with hungry ghosts, and big ones too!

For people who have any experience in this field, I ask, how much can we attribute sickness and illness in our community to these hungry ghosts? And more to the point, what to do?

Ritual and offerings of beauty in speech and creativity seems to be the traditional way of 'feasting the spirits', but what in a culture that has no root?

Light and Love

A

Hi Al,

About the sickness and illness in community bit...

Act local ,think global .Its always good to start from ones own self and heal ourselves first,clear mind ,be focused ,stop imagginig ,love as much as we can and even more than that.

Then that attitude spreads more and more and infects enviroment.

Thats the best thing to do that i can think of right now.

And hungry ghosts ,if there is any,will have to stay hungry.

:) Sun

Edited by suninmyeyes

Hi Al,

About the sickness and illness in community bit...

Act local ,think global .Its always good to start from ones own self and heal ourselves first,clear mind ,be focused ,stop imagginig ,love as much as we can and even more than that.

Then that attitude spreads more and more and infects enviroment.

Thats the best thing to do that i can think of right now.

And hungry ghosts ,if there is any,will have to stay hungry.

:) Sun

The taboo is great. I think its growing, in proportion to how life is becoming more and more instrumental. You are not valued in society in proportion to how deep your love, and thus grief is.

Its so impractical to grieve. It has no inherent value for anybody else that you are in grief, thus making it a hassle for any employer, friend or collegue. You are, in a sense useless when you grieve, and in such a way, best handled lightly.

Without going into discussing the existence actual ghosts, there aspects of us that become "ghosts" if we dont take the time to experience and feeling loss, resisting the impulse to become "productive" again.

The taboo is great. I think its growing, in proportion to how life is becoming more and more instrumental. You are not valued in society in proportion to how deep your love, and thus grief is.

Hagar,

to be honest i didnt notice taboo so much.Maybe taboo is in point of view,i havent time and space for one.They make me itch,like a shoe thats too small.

Same with being valued in the society,without trying to sound funny, its feels important to be contributing instead of being valued.And here is where love is.

Otherwise agreed grief is like a sweat ,needs to come out.As long as it doesent become indulgent in a way.

Sun came out just now,im going out,thought id let you now.bye!

Sign in to follow this