Sign in to follow this  
Eviander

Choosing a Tai Chi instructor

So basically I have 3 options for my first Tai Chi instruction. I am not really that informed about the different styles and how to spot good teachers ect, but would like to start ASAP considering there are 3 schools in my area. I would just like the humble opinion of the bums so I can go ahead and lay down the cash down for a session.

Michigan Tai Chi center

This one is a Yang style traditional Tai Chi class and to me looks pretty solid.

Wu style

This is a Wu style, which even though I have read the difference between yang and wu I guess I really don't get it besides the style of the forms. This one also seems pretty solid to me.

Peaceful dragon.

This one does not specify a style, so I was a little skeptical but it is the cheapest one. Though to me it seems a little more like pop Tai Chi.

They all seem pretty legit in terms of what they are teaching- each one of them seems to be pretty straightforward in what they learned from who and what they taught. Then again, sometimes people take one seminar with someone and turn around and say, "yeah I studied with so-and-so". Luckily with tai chi, as far as forms go, they are pretty standard.

So yeah, like Rainbow Vein said, you're gonna have to go to each of them and feel them out.

The big question would be: what do you hope to learn from them? Do you want to do tai chi for exercise? Do you want to incorporate energy and qigong in the future? Do you want to be able to use this stuff in a fight?

Again, since the forms are pretty standard (the main ones, anyway) if you just want the health benefits and gentle, relaxed exercise, and no style preference, might as well go with the cheapest one. But if you want something else, you are going to have to just visit each one.

While all of these may teach you the same form as someone from another school from the same style (Yang style, Wu style, etc) they might not all be the same in terms of combat effectiveness, but again that's something you're going to have to find out by going there and talking or pushing with some of the people that teach/learn there.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

They all seem pretty legit in terms of what they are teaching- each one of them seems to be pretty straightforward in what they learned from who and what they taught. Then again, sometimes people take one seminar with someone and turn around and say, "yeah I studied with so-and-so". Luckily with tai chi, as far as forms go, they are pretty standard.

So yeah, like Rainbow Vein said, you're gonna have to go to each of them and feel them out.

The big question would be: what do you hope to learn from them? Do you want to do tai chi for exercise? Do you want to incorporate energy and qigong in the future? Do you want to be able to use this stuff in a fight?

Again, since the forms are pretty standard (the main ones, anyway) if you just want the health benefits and gentle, relaxed exercise, and no style preference, might as well go with the cheapest one. But if you want something else, you are going to have to just visit each one.

While all of these may teach you the same form as someone from another school from the same style (Yang style, Wu style, etc) they might not all be the same in terms of combat effectiveness, but again that's something you're going to have to find out by going there and talking or pushing with some of the people that teach/learn there.

The right advice ^

:)

Check them all out in person. Look at how the teacher moves and the students, do you want to be like that too. It the class a "nice" place that you want to go back too?

Those feelings are much more important than any schools technical or theoretical "Best-ness" :lol:

p.s. while not important "I study peaceful dragon Tai Chi" sounds very cool B)

A trip to a seafood restaurant with the Wu Style sounds nice:

Seafood

... I think visit them all and see how they feel/look and if the teacher(s) know what they are doing and are good teachers (not always the same thing).

John

Sign in to follow this