Owledge

Know any game developers?

I have a great idea for a computer game that would create kind of a spiritual consciousness, besides being very fun to play. Does anybody here happen to know people from game developers that might be suitable for and interested in ideas of this kind?

As far as I know my idea is at least a semi-novelty.

Edited by Hardyg

I've read up on Braid. Wow, that's even tougher 'mind-work' than creating the movie "Memento".

You probably wouldn't have to supply BlowJo ( :lol: ) with a game idea, because apparently that's what they are great at. The technical aspect is another thing. The idea that I had would unfortunately require a high budget, but exclude Electronic Arts. ... I'm a dreamer, I know. :lol:

P.S.: While clicking though the Wikipedia, I ended up reading about a computer game that was banned from a competition that Braid also partook in until the mentioned ban: "Super Columbine Massacre RPG!". The whole game can be seen as a social critique, because as long as the murder and atrocities are committed by soldiers and not on homeland, everything is OK, but the same things suddenly become disgusting when they happen in the 'civil' area, where they are not 'meant to happen' ... in OUR civil area that is.

Edited by Hardyg

Look into the people who made the Wild Divine game. Wilddivine.com, they make and market at least one spiritual game.

Michael

Looks very specialized. Like they say: "game-style interactive environment". My game idea is based on simulated world environment, where many things happen even without player interaction.

Looks very specialized. Like they say: "game-style interactive environment". My game idea is based on simulated world environment, where many things happen even without player interaction.

Sounds pretty cool.

Don't be afraid to contact them though, maybe they can point you in right direction. There's nothing to lose but an email.

I know there are a few groups that bring Aps to life for the Ipod touch and Iphone system, you could look into that. Once created they're easy to let loose and make some change off of or so I'm told.

Michael

Hm, I don't think the i-Phone is THAT powerful. ;)

Maybe I'll contact them. If it feels right. Please keep giving input, people.

What at least is encouraging is the fact that graphic engines are often traded, so developing studios can create all the logic and content on a ready-to-use platform.

Still, state-of-the-art computer games are such huge projects today, wow!

Sounds much like an idea for MMORPG style game idea i had/have, that pertains more to the perpetual continuity of the spirit, the player is not the character, but the character's spirit and experiences many differnt lives and lifestyles, with no real objective than to play and experience anew.

Problem is the sheer amount of physics involved, we cant quite program that much GAME on even modern super computers.

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be that complex. There already have been games with an environment like that, simply with a lot of NPCs with their own AI. And as an advanced example, just take The Sims.

Hm, I guess I will just let the idea sit dormant until it things develop a way that feels comfortable. After you mentioned certain people like Meier and Specter, theoretically I could consider Peter Molyneux for my game idea, but the problem is that he tends to hype his games too much, talking about pseudo-revolutionary features that turn out to be facades in some way.

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be that complex. There already have been games with an environment like that, simply with a lot of NPCs with their own AI. And as an advanced example, just take The Sims.

Double the sims in interactivity capability/potential

then, double THAT as an afterlife version complete with death-as-birth transition between material and energy life...

NOW we have to deal with stupid AI :P you know how all those "sims moments" were? setting yourself on fire by not knowing how to cook.... cereal...

Computers have a long ways to go before they are going to catch up with humanity, let alone able to effectively portray any genuine spirituality, rather than mere mythology.

Throw in atomic particle physics, and then maybe, MAYBE, we'd have the basis for a cyber-world in which my mind could enjoy as a playground.... :P hehe

As for already existing spiritual games, look at RPGs, they fill their stories with a lot of ancient mythological elements.

Tales of Phantasia is a great example of norse mythology presented on a christian palette painted by a japanese hand... hahah! Cultural!

The warcraft series 'borrows' a lot of spiritual influences for their characters and classes. Holy Paladins, naturalistic shamans... not terribly accurate, but the influences are there all the same.

If we want an accurate game to portray general spiritual influences... we've got a lot of doing to manage with our present limitations of technology and market demand.

I would Love to help design a world that is as entertaining as it is educational however, so if anything ever comes of this, i hope i will catch wind and be able to lend a hand!

As for already existing spiritual games, look at RPGs, they fill their stories with a lot of ancient mythological elements.

Tales of Phantasia is a great example of norse mythology presented on a christian palette painted by a japanese hand... hahah! Cultural!

The warcraft series 'borrows' a lot of spiritual influences for their characters and classes. Holy Paladins, naturalistic shamans... not terribly accurate, but the influences are there all the same.

Hm, that is mere mythology as content. For me a spiritual game is a game with a basic mechanic of encouraging the spiritual journey. World of Warcraft would be a terribly bad example, being little more than a copy of our society, with a strong accent on warfare.

An anecdote about the Molyneux thing: I played Black&White and wanted to be a fair but strict god, so when the people of the world did something mean to their fellows, I gave them a slap, and suddenly I!, the almighty god, was seen as evil and tyrannical. That was when I lost interest in the game. Way too stupid. But hey... Molyneux probably thought too black-and-white while making the game. :rolleyes:

Hm, that is mere mythology as content. For me a spiritual game is a game with a basic mechanic of encouraging the spiritual journey. World of Warcraft would be a terribly bad example, being little more than a copy of our society, with a strong accent on warfare.

An anecdote about the Molyneux thing: I played Black&White and wanted to be a fair but strict god, so when the people of the world did something mean to their fellows, I gave them a slap, and suddenly I!, the almighty god, was seen as evil and tyrannical. That was when I lost interest in the game. Way too stupid. But hey... Molyneux probably thought too black-and-white while making the game. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, you are speaking along the lines of AI more than physics.

Things like alignments, ratios, factions, and personal nature and how to rationally calculate a fluid transitory balance between them through interactions - definitely an element i would demand for "my" game ;)