devoid

Living solely from meditation

Hi Friends,

I just came across this piece on BBC News' web site:

A Hermit is admitted to hospital and being surveyed by medical doctors in India based on his claim that he has not had food nor water for no less than 70 years. I am sure many of you will also find this report intriguing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8652837.stm

For starters the doctors are impressed that he is so far 108 hours into his admission without ingestion, urination or defecation. Will be interesting to follow as more time goes by.

The Hermit is said to be a Holy Man of the Jain Religion - anybody know much about this?

Best regards,

-matt

Edited by devoid

Astounding n intriguing... dont know what else to say really.

Noticed his eyes.Probably does not have the need to blink as well.

Sadhu.

I'll bet his first question after getting out of the hospital will be, "Where's the nearest McDonalds."

Peace & Love!

Guest paul walter

I'll bet his first question after getting out of the hospital will be, "Where's the nearest McDonalds."

Peace & Love!

No need to ask-the Maccas is near the front door of the hospital (at least that's how it is in my city) :rolleyes: Paul

Some people can do Bigu (living w/out food and water) for surprising amounts of time, but there generally is limits. Many self proclaimed Bigu advocates have been caught sneaking food. In Chicago there was a chi gung teacher who'd announce at his demos he hadn't eaten food for years. If questioned closer you found out 'soup' was allowed :).

Still there are people who fall into a natural Bigu, eating when they're hungry, but going days w/ full energy w/out eating. For them its effortless. They're simply listening to the body. Bigu isn't a goal but a natural byproduct of their cultivation.

Note in the cases I know of (one teacher I correspond with) its usually a few days in a row kind of thing.

Michael

Some people can do Bigu (living w/out food and water) for surprising amounts of time, but there generally is limits. Many self proclaimed Bigu advocates have been caught sneaking food. In Chicago there was a chi gung teacher who'd announce at his demos he hadn't eaten food for years. If questioned closer you found out 'soup' was allowed :).

Still there are people who fall into a natural Bigu, eating when they're hungry, but going days w/ full energy w/out eating. For them its effortless. They're simply listening to the body. Bigu isn't a goal but a natural byproduct of their cultivation.

Note in the cases I know of (one teacher I correspond with) its usually a few days in a row kind of thing.

Michael

With my yoga teacher from the BWT, a 10 day fast was done each year by slowly stoping all food - not water - and then returning to food with wheat germ and milk, in moderate amounts, for starters. After the 10 days were up there were very strong changes in physical appearance to the positive. The days were spent largely meditating and sleeping -always- with head to the north.