Oleg Galkin

Taoism and Heavy Metal Music

I always wonder which attitude have Taoists towards heavy metal music? Do you consider it disturbing for a mind? Or metal is quite the contrary - thing that helps you to get rid of the negative energy and emotions?

• Like 1

Hello Rainbow!

Gojira is really good band, and I like their music very much. It is very unusual that a death metal band sings about environment! :) And lyrics you provided are good and influential. You have good taste, rainbow!

For me metal is the way I'm relaxing after, for example, hard working week or something, the way I can spill out negative emotions and have fun of course.

Hey, post your favorite metal videos for meditation! :)

• Like 1

Hello Oleg,

Do you consider it disturbing for a mind? Or metal is quite the contrary - thing that helps you to get rid of the negative energy and emotions?

I think both of these views are true.

MESHUGGAH!!! :P

i have my metal moments, of course

i just don't mix this with cultivation

nothing new, just look at the effect metal music has on water crystals - masaru emoto

chaos energy...

you need a really strong mind and a strong sense of purpose to work with it

not there yet, and by my experience most of us may think they are, but they aren't

you know, it's like the threads about vices such as alcohol, pot and masturbation. better call them by name than disguising them as 'spiritual practice'

eveyone has a cross to carry, better use it than being used by it...

and i know when i'm right, i do

I always wonder which attitude have Taoists towards heavy metal music? Do you consider it disturbing for a mind? Or metal is quite the contrary - thing that helps you to get rid of the negative energy and emotions?

Oh Heavy Metal, What a nostalgia. In my twenties I used to play in a long haired Hevay Metal band! :wub:

Now i am too old for these things and i'm becoming a bit bald (argh!!! this is really *TOO* bad!)

:P

In my opinion Heavy Metal is really suitable for strenght training or generic physical training when i don't need a specific focus. it gives you a big boost!!!

:D

it's also true that it sometimes helps me to get rid of bad emotions , and this is a very mysterious thing to me!

I ignore how it works!! :o

i like its "chaos" dimension and I sometimes really need it!

if you know Gabrielle Roth 's Five Rhythms, probably you understand very well what i mean..

But I never tried it during meditation .. :blink:

Nowadays I think Heavy Metal is however a too generic term.. There are a lot of sub-genres and they're so different!

P.s : I didn't konw Gojira. Cool band! thanks!

Best regards,

Gigi

Edited by Gigi

Thanks gigi. I didn't know of Gabrielle Roth, so I liked what I heard and will start a new thread.

Edit: new topic starts here.

Gabrielle Roth Rocks!

My wife and I groove out to Jhoom!

Road Rock-It

Can't find a you tube, but check this out

http://www.amazon.co...f=dm_mu_dp_trk2

and give these a go please...

Edited by sifusufi
  • Thanks 1

Please have a go at these... guess I'm biased but when I really need to relax deep into my arthritic bones ( and soul) these are trusty mojo!

"The desired effect is what you get when you apply your interplanetary funksmanship" George Clinton

...but I will saving that for another post.

hehe. I liked system of a down.

I only like hard rock which has a good message, and even revolutionary.

yea soundgarden is the shizz. Black Hole Sun, Won't You come.. and wash away the raaain.

Edited by Non

Oh Heavy Metal, What a nostalgia. In my twenties I used to play in a long haired Hevay Metal band! :wub:

Now i am too old for these things and i'm becoming a bit bald (argh!!! this is really *TOO* bad!)

:P

In my opinion Heavy Metal is really suitable for strenght training or generic physical training when i don't need a specific focus. it gives you a big boost!!!

:D

it's also true that it sometimes helps me to get rid of bad emotions , and this is a very mysterious thing to me!

I ignore how it works!! :o

i like its "chaos" dimension and I sometimes really need it!

if you know Gabrielle Roth 's Five Rhythms, probably you understand very well what i mean..

But I never tried it during meditation .. :blink:

Nowadays I think Heavy Metal is however a too generic term.. There are a lot of sub-genres and they're so different!

P.s : I didn't konw Gojira. Cool band! thanks!

Best regards,

Gigi

I am in my 50's and I played in a metal band all last year until February of this year but taking a break right now. I don't like to listen to the stuff but it is quite fun to play (weird huh?). Usually when I listen to music it is native flute music.

It is chaotic but the key to staying in harmony is to kind of ride it like a wave, kinda like a surfer.

• Like 1

I need someone to show me

The things in life that I can't find

I can't see the things that make true happiness

I must be blind

Finally one I could connect with even though Ozzie went crazy shortly after that.

Peace & Love!

forget it lol i don't know how to embed

mantis - click on 3 little squares (media) then erase (backspace) what's in it. Then add youre URL (http ...)

Rock on, Ya Mu!

Flute music is very soothing. The first song of 2010 for me was a R. Carlos Nakai song played on an eagle bone's wing under the full moon with the beach surf in the background. :)

I love Carlos Nakai's music - probably my favorite.

It doesn't apply to heavy metal, but here's a very spiritual example of powerful music via scottish band's Mogwai sampling an old interview with Iggy Pop :

"I'll tell you about punk rock: punk rock is a word used by dilettantes and, uh... and, uh... heartless manipulators, about music... that takes up the energies, and the bodies, and the hearts and the souls and the time and the minds, of young men, who give what they have to it, and give everything they have to it. And it's a... it's a term that's based on contempt; it's a term that's based on fashion, style, elitism, satanism, and, everything that's rotten about rock 'n' roll.'I don't know Johnny Rotten... but I'm sure, I'm sure he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does as Sigmund Freud did.

You see, what, what sounds to you like a big load of trashy old noise... is in fact... the brilliant music of a genius... myself. And that music is so powerful, that it's quite beyond my control. And, ah... when I'm in the grips of it, I don't feel pleasure and I don't feel pain, either physically or emotionally. Do you understand what I'm talking about? Have you ever, have you ever felt like that? When you just, when you just, you couldn't feel anything, and you didn't want to either. You know, like that?

Do you understand what I'm saying, sir?"

Here's the full version of the interview :

Edited by passenger1980

Guest paul walter

Heavy metal music is very disturbing for the heart/mind yes. Paul

Oleg, meditate while watching metal videos? Curious. :) Please share more. And, what artists do you enjoy listening to?

I was thinking about chaos music and that I tend to gravitate to avant garde performers. When I need a kick to clean the house, I enjoy Astronome by John Zorn with Mike Patton screaming. I do like screaming/yelling in songs. Here's a short clip of Patton on a Zorn project. Never seen a better performer live than Patton.

I'm just kidding about meditation, but there are exciting heavy songs which you can listen and make some great visualization in your mind. For example, when I'm listening Metallica's epic instrumentals like "Orion", "The Call of Ktulu" or "Outlaw Torn" (really beautiful long heavy solo in the end) I often imagine some kind of storm on a sea in the night, or a hurricane. Such instrumentals are just modern symphonic music!

It is also cool to listen to a heavy music when you are doing some physical work.

Check this out:

Outlaw Torn (the best part is in the end of the song):

The Call of Ktulu:

Orion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7kfD4lsy4o

forget it lol i don't know how to embed

I liked that. I actually listened to the entire song.

Peace & Love!

Hey now. Of course its mixed bag. Who gets it all, all right, all the time. Hows about this one.

Okay. So he did do some good music between his gouts of insanity. Hehehe.

Peace & Love!

Outlaw Torn (the best part is in the end of the song):

Yes, Metallica has done some really great music. I would say that this is one of the great ones.

Peace & Love!

for Little1, with love :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BcL---4xQYA

It's funny to me. I have often commented on the way music is lumped together. Although Led Zep is often cited as the origination of Heavy Metal, to my ears they have as much in common as renaissance music has with Wagner.

Another interesting mental exercise to me is comparing musical eras. In 1975 the music of 1945 seemed far far away from the music of the day. In 2005 the music of 1975 doesn't seem as far away in difference as that, but is it? If you compare Led Zep of 1975 with what is current in heavy metal in 2005, or today, maybe there is a similar gulf.

Anyway, I like Led Zep and I mostly don't listen to modern heavy metal music. My personal sense is that heavy, chaotic music is not conducive to practice. There are activities which are exciting and pleasurable which although seemingly positive tend to be pleasurable but have a net effect of draining/dispersing energy. Alcohol can be pleasurable, but its characteristic is that of dispersing energy (TCM theory, not just my idea).

Enjoy your music.

BTW my Ipod contains classical music, chinese Qin music, Jazz, pop, Rock, prog rock, New wave, New Age, middle eastern traditional and fusion, trance, and I'm sure I have missed several.

Craig

its really nice, i just would not call it metal, thou'

the thing with (genuine)metal, maybe it's just what it does, it adds metal to your element table

i didn't listen to much led zepp before, it's quite new to me ^_^

:wub: