Sign in to follow this  
markern

Supergreens and ph balance

WHat is your opinion or experience with "supergreens" and with the ph balance theories. I have taken the greens stuff myself for some time and like how it makes me feel but the explanations for why it supposedly works is apparently utter bullshit and the inventor and promotor a shady character:

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/young3.html

I might add that those who sell it were I live also claims it is very important to add some drops of another substance to make the water more balanced as the water is supposedly very alcaline. My father checked with the appropriate agencies what the ph balance of the water in our area actually is and turns out it is more or less perfectly in ph balance. I find it amusing that no one who sells or uses the product actually bothered to check if the claim about our drinking water is true.

WHat is your opinion or experience with "supergreens" and with the ph balance theories. I have taken the greens stuff myself for some time and like how it makes me feel but the explanations for why it supposedly works is apparently utter bullshit and the inventor and promotor a shady character:

I might add that those who sell it were I live also claims it is very important to add some drops of another substance to make the water more balanced as the water is supposedly very alcaline. My father checked with the appropriate agencies what the ph balance of the water in our area actually is and turns out it is more or less perfectly in ph balance. I find it amusing that no one who sells or uses the product actually bothered to check if the claim about our drinking water is true.

I've researched the whole quandary of whether the blood can be alkaline or not -- mainstream science says no because the stomach acid will just increase to counteract any increase of alkaline intake. But amazingly I've posted online a study of cow blood which says it did become more alkaline - based on use of MAGNETS -- actually it was more acidic I think. Still the point being that there is a difference between stomach pH and blood pH.... if you read "Secrets of Spirulina" by Dr. Christopher Hill he details this difference. It's because of how the mitrochrondia process glucose instead of the stomach relying on oxidization for digestion (the free radicals needed).... Yeah it's a bit complicated -- not sure where I buried my research on this. So something like lemons are acidic in the stomach but after digestion create potassium citrate which then makes the blood alkaline -- in fact even vinegar does this as well -- only with acetic acid turning into acetylcholine (alkaline)....

I'm not a scientist -- I just pretend to be one on the internet.

Well I know when I take green powder I feel more alkaline,I feel MUCH better, it is a palpable feeling. I do take vinegar tablets every day, but adding green powder helps a lot. Being acidic is horrible, actually, it really does bad things to everything, one's body and mood.

I think we have to counteract the acidity we put into our bodies, or rather, the acidity we create in relation to what we put into our bodies.

So If I eat too much chocolate I'll eat a scoop of Umebushi to 'neutralise' and rebalance.

For me it is a feeling thing, in the body, as I know so little about science that I cant even pretend on the internet.

Edited by cat

I have no clue about ph but taking a superfood supplement is not a bad idea at all. It was recommended to me by a nutritionist...she said most people do not get enough greens so its very helpful. Plus these supplements have much more than just greens. I take Garden of Life Perfect Food, its about 40-40$ for a 2 month supply. http://www.vitacost.com/Garden-of-Life-Perfect-Food-600-g Trader Joe's also has a Super Green powder for 20$ (30 day supply). Comparable price and basically the same stuff is in it, though the Trader Joe's brand has plant derived digestive enzymes added the Perfect Food might make up since it has a bit more greens.

Perfect Food: perfectFoodPowderFacts.gif

Trader Joe's Super Green Powder

Contains 30 servings -- 1 serving - 50 calories, 2.5g Fat (0.5 Saturated), 20mg Sodium, 5g Carbs, 1g Fiber, 1g Sugar, 1g Protein, 25% Vitamin A, 1500% Vitamin C, 2% calcium, 10% Iron

-2010mg Antioxidant Blend consisting of Organic Barley grass juice powder, chlorella, organic spirulina, alfalfa concentrace ionic trace minerals

-2000mg of a secondary Antioxidant blend consisting of Organic carrot juice powder, organic broccoli juice powder, organic cauliflower juice powder, organic spinach juice powder, organic parsley juice powder

-1740mg of more Antioxidants with Organic concord grape powder, acerola cherry powder, milk thistle extract (80% sylamarin), organic red beet root, organic aloe vera leaf powder, pomegranate, turmeric rhizome extract (85% curcuminoids), organic atlantic kelp powder, green tea extract decaf (60% polyphenols), Quecetin (98% dihydrate), polygonum cuspidatum (trans-reservatrol 50%), non alcoholic red wine extract, grape seed extract, blue berry leaf extract, licorice, vegetable extract, fruit extract, organic cinnamon & strawberry extract

-3850mg Fiber blend: Organix SDG flax lignans concnetrate, Oat betaglucan, apple fiber pectin, organic sprouted barley malt, lecithin

-200mg Plant base enzyme blend with Bromelaine (600GDU/GM), Papain, protease, amalyse, lipase, cellulase, lactaste

-200mg of Dairy Free Probiotics -- Lactobacillus Acidohplus, lactobaccilus casei, R. Longum, Rhamnosus

Supposedly all the antioxidants and vitamins contained in greens is very very helpful for the immune system in combating free radicals, heart disease, cancer and basically keeping the body running smoothly. I've noticed myself feeling quite nice taking this supplement everyday. Especially since i'm on a candida (TCM: dampness) diet.

BioBalance: the Acid/Alkaline Solution to the Food-Mood-Health Puzzle, by Rudolf A. Wiley is the most fascinating take on the acid/alkaline question that I've run across. He says the critical pH measurement is in the venous blood, which is difficult to measure. He describes two basic metabolic types that respond differently to "alkaline" foods, which are very good for one metabolic type, and not at all good for the other metabolic type. The reason is that the heavy foods make some people acid, but they actually bring others back into pH balance. Since high levels of alkaline food/diet have always made me feel bad, I like his theory, because it explains why some friends can thrive on a light diet that just leaves me hungry and gumpy. (Wiley also draws psychological reactions to venous pH into the discussion, which is very interesting.) If light diets DON'T make you feel good, check out this book for another take on the subject.

Adeha

http://www.quackwatc...Ind/young3.html

Interesting. I know that if I eat to much raw meat, and I don't drink a celery juice I become very antisocial. I can take offense at anything. I am able to feel offended by the way a fly has entered my no-fly zone around my body. I bought the theory that it had to do with the Ph of the body (blood?). But as it was pointed out, what the f... do I know. But the difference is tangible, and there. Something changes. And I don't know what.

I also don't know of any tablet or similar that can do it quite as well as celery juice. And having to rely on a celery juice about 3 times every week is really logistically a problem when you travel. People in my diet often do like the chimps, chewing celery all the time and spitting the fiber. If anyone here has some good integrators I would love to hear from them.

Interesting. I know that if I eat to much raw meat, and I don't drink a celery juice I become very antisocial. I can take offense at anything. I am able to feel offended by the way a fly has entered my no-fly zone around my body. I bought the theory that it had to do with the Ph of the body (blood?). But as it was pointed out, what the f... do I know. But the difference is tangible, and there. Something changes. And I don't know what.

I also don't know of any tablet or similar that can do it quite as well as celery juice. And having to rely on a celery juice about 3 times every week is really logistically a problem when you travel. People in my diet often do like the chimps, chewing celery all the time and spitting the fiber. If anyone here has some good integrators I would love to hear from them.

I've been finding out in a very personal way just how much "eating acidic" affects my mood -

I am more cranky and more obsessive. I didn't believe this for a long time, and there isn't much

in the way of real research on this, yet there is something to it, imo.

I have enough health problems at 51 that the difference shows up quickly in small ways,

when I eat acidic. And going back towards alkaline clears the small things up quickly too,

things like knee pain going away.

I don't think just taking a supplement does the job - you have to change the diet too.

I take lots of supplements, and recently added chlorophyl too as an aid in going alkaline,

but I don't expect it to do the whole job.

I already eat really low carb, but this takes it just a step farther, because there is a more

specific focus - like taking more calcium, magnesium and potassium, and green smoothies.

Most people will not go low carb unless they really have to, but that is a big part of

eating this way. Low carb plus specific focus on "alkaline" low carb.

Perhaps the best book I've seen so far on the subject is "Warning, an undetected

acid-alkaline imbalance is slowly killing you and severely hurting your children"

by John Ossipinsky,

The books Ive read are mostly pretty fluffy, but this one does actually quote a few

peer-reviewed research articles. Whether or not they are relevant is another question,

and yet it's working for me.

As for metabolism determining whether or not to eat alkaline - well: this is actually

the "paleo diet" which is what our species developed on. So we all have some basic things

in common physically.

Maybe natural predators who only eat meat can handle a more acidic diet. We are

omnivores, and developed on a diet of mostly vegetables.

subject is very complicated, i had many teachers in school with Ph.D's in biochem, biology, nutrition etc and they all claim there are somethings to make a person more akaline, but they also believe the body thru diet can fix the situation since its PH cannot very much or you will simply die. LOL You have positive and negative feedback loops that control the homeostasis of the body and they beleive that under most circumstances the PH will be what it is supposed to be, even though it might be considered more acidic/alkaline than someone elses.

One thing is for certain-the dude at quackwatch is a dumba**. i read his articles on TCM and acupuncture and he is a fricken moron. he is as narrow minded as they come and is a MD but was a shrink. now some of the things he post about people need to be considered but his overall mindset and lack of proper research is obvious. i mean the guy said in his acupuncture article that he couldnt tell any differences in the pulse but the TCM people said the person had this or that. well guess what? he wasnt trained to feel 28 different qualities, 3 levels, and 12 different organs in the pulse. LOL

anyway, had to put my .02 in there about this guy.

alot of the stuff on the market is crap, most of it is such a small dosage it couldnt be good for anything. many of the items are knock offs of Mitchell Mays stuff called Pure Synergy, not only is his story unreal, but so is his product in my opinion. I love it. http://www.synergy-co.com, he is probably one of the very first that came up with the idea of a superfood like this and his is superior to even the "pharmaceutical grade" i get as a practioner let alone to anything else on the market available to the general public.

Edited by yuanqi

Heard something quite interesting today- from a TCM perspective most alkaline foods are dry. This could explain in some way the effects of alkalizing in terms of negating our dampening diets.

A

Heard something quite interesting today- from a TCM perspective most alkaline foods are dry. This could explain in some way the effects of alkalizing in terms of negating our dampening diets.

A

Do you have a link to this?

subject is very complicated, i had many teachers in school with Ph.D's in biochem, biology, nutrition etc and they all claim there are somethings to make a person more akaline, but they also believe the body thru diet can fix the situation since its PH cannot very much or you will simply die. LOL You have positive and negative feedback loops that control the homeostasis of the body and they beleive that under most circumstances the PH will be what it is supposed to be, even though it might be considered more acidic/alkaline than someone elses.

As I understand it, the blood does have to have a constant Ph, and the body will do a lot to keep it

at about 7.4, BUT the issue is , how much stress does it put on the body, to keep it that way with

excessively acidic input? The body will take minerals out of bone and tissue to achieve this, it will

store excess acid waste in fat, and more. It's impossible to know just how much acidic waste is

stored in your tissues; so the only way you can tell is to try it and observe the result.

The people who come up with this objection have not done the reading on this subject, including

science teachers.

Why do they think the body will magically maintain a perfect Ph no matter what the input is,

and an acidic diet will have no effect whatsoever on the health? Eventually, it does have

a really noticeable effect.

alot of the stuff on the market is crap, most of it is such a small dosage it couldnt be good for anything. many of the items are knock offs of Mitchell Mays stuff called Pure Synergy, not only is his story unreal, but so is his product in my opinion. I love it. http://www.synergy-co.com, he is probably one of the very first that came up with the idea of a superfood like this and his is superior to even the "pharmaceutical grade" i get as a practioner let alone to anything else on the market available to the general public.

Wow, that's a very expensive supplement. I never overpay for this stuff - I'm using NOW brand chlorophyll

from iherb:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Liquid-Chlorophyll-Triple-Strength-16-fl-oz-473-ml/5028?at=0

But a supplement won't be enough, by itself. A change in diet is what will really help.

Edited by tyler zambori

As I understand it, the blood does have to have a constant Ph, and the body will do a lot to keep it

at about 7.4, BUT the issue is , how much stress does it put on the body, to keep it that way with

excessively acidic input? The body will take minerals out of bone and tissue to achieve this, it will

store excess acid waste in fat, and more. It's impossible to know just how much acidic waste is

stored in your tissues; so the only way you can tell is to try it and observe the result.

The people who come up with this objection have not done the reading on this subject, including

science teachers.

Why do they think the body will magically maintain a perfect Ph no matter what the input is,

and an acidic diet will have no effect whatsoever on the health? Eventually, it does have

a really noticeable effect.

Wow, that's a very expensive supplement. I never overpay for this stuff - I'm using NOW brand chlorophyll

from iherb:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Liquid-Chlorophyll-Triple-Strength-16-fl-oz-473-ml/5028?at=0

But a supplement won't be enough, by itself. A change in diet is what will really help.

well most of their research and belief is that the body has buffers that act against the acidic nature of foods and substances and help maintain control, what you said is accurate and I agree, I am just stating what they all said in school. they would say if you drank a coke, or orange juice or ate any citrus it would kill you without the buffers that are naturally in your body to control the acidity and thats what helps control the PH. for someone that has a diet that is highly acidic, i would probably recommend some supplementation as well and a change in diet. the body is magic LOL

Yes Mitchells stuff is high, but it is better than anything i have tried over the counter and better than what i was taking from xymogen and pure encapsulations which are professional formulas i sell on occassion. i used to buy stuff from NOW but with what i can get as a practitioner i dont use the over the counter stuff. the funny thing is people with doctorates and phd's work in the lab at the companies i use so they have a pharmaceutical type of plant and research facility but manufacture nutriceuticals and there green superfood still isnt as good as mitchells. LOL

Edited by yuanqi

As far as green super foods, we tend to ignore the cheap common ones and put our attention on the expensive and exotic. I just made an avocado/spinach/banana shake. Delicious, quick and gave me the nutrient profile of avocado's healthy fats and spinach's high nutritional profile.

Michael

The superfood supplements I posted above, especially Garden of Life's product, are pretty good. Not sure how they compare to the Synergy product.. but Synergy does not have any probiotics, but it has a lot of asian mushrooms. Have no clue how good those are for you but instead of Asian mushrooms, Garden of Life's product has a ton more greens.

Synergy is 56$ for 1 month supply... Garden of Life's Perfect Food is about 45$ for a 600gram bottle which lasts for 2 months. Wayy cheaper.

Edited by mikaelz

hi yuanqi,

Would you expound on your results from taking Mitchell May's "Pure Synergy Superfood"? :huh: How much do you take? How long have you taken it? Anything else of note would be helpful too. Have you tried any of his other products? He offers vitamins, vitamin C, Klamath crystals, and Australian New Zealand healing honey. Thanks. :)

I have been taking it since the 90's. i take just one big tablesoon each day. i have tried others. if you read mitchells story, read about the company and how it was founded and the techniques they use from beginning to end, including growing and harvesting, to storing it you can see it is better than others out there. its organic, its made in a kosher facility, he uses state of the art equipment. co2 extraction and refractance window drying are two big things he does.

the guy is a real healer whos medical case was documented at ucla, he grew bone and nerves after an autoaccident. plus he lived on pure synergy and carrot juice before putting it out on the market years ago, kinda like a test or trial. i have not tried any of his other products, as has been said it is expensive, not stuff you find at a local market unless they buy directly from him and even then there isnt much profit margin. he didnt want it out on every walgreens shelf apparently. people are big on probiotics these days, well this guy was making something you could live on before that was chic. LOL you want a real drink that has probiotics and you can live on then try living fuel. these two products are expensive, both were made to live on, the latter is a good product as well. www.livingfuel.com the chiro i worked with supplies it to his patients down here and when he goes on a fast or wants to detox he will just take it for about a week and nothing else. i like the reason the guy invented in the first place, which i think you can read online, was for his daughter apparently. these are great and are different, a true green superfood would be pure synergy, something with alot of minerals, vitamins, probiotics, enzymes, amino acids,herbs and some superfood would be the pure synergy, he has a green drink too but i like the superberry original.

metagenics is a compnay i am set up with and they have a phytocomplete formula thats pretty good as a green superfood, but i dont think you can get it over the counter, perhpas some retailers sell it but i know it used to be only for practioners to buy.

so from my experience, living fuel is a great meal replacement type of superfood that can sustain you. on another level and straight greens and herbs etc pure synergy is a great formula. i am set up with alot of companies that have a lot of stuff for the wholistic practioner, some are superior to others but they all have good items they each make. but i really like the two i mentioned here that ANYONE can buy. what i dont like is eventually they get into all this other crap and manufacture it too. mitchell has done well and only added a few products over the years, i remember when the only product offered was pure synergy and testimonials from people like Ram Dass got me interested as did mitchells recovery at ucla.

the living fuel dude is starting to get into more and more stuff, but IT WORKS and taste great. i bought a vitamix a while back (still have a champion juicer too) but i like to mix it with some fresh veggies in the vitamix and get the pulp. (which should never be left out when juicing anyway according to my teachers and professor at my old school dr. j e williams, who wrote some interesting books as well, viral immunity etc). since its in powder it cant be juiced. LOL and mixes nicely with other things but you dont have to take it that way. it does work and does surpress the appetite for about three hours as well.

take a look at the kirlian photos on mitchells site. and the company logo. he is the man and takes pride in what he offers, different than alot of crap on the market.

i would have to stop taking it to tell you how i feel on it LOL its been so long. i know that if you take too much like a tablespoon right off the bat you will end up with diarrhea, start slow. let it feed your body on a cellular level like its supposed to and dont overwhelm it with a large dose in the beginning. i always felt more energetic, brighter, thought clearer and had an overall sense of wellbeing on it, as did anyone else i let try it. even when i worked construction those guys would want some after trying it as it helped them. i also think it helped during my schooling. couldnt have gotten the gpa i did over 5 academic years as i dont function well in the a.m. without it. LOL

its not about exotic or fancy or just thinking the high priced stuff is best. i am a consumer and a practitioner, i know what i can get as both, i know what i have tried that is ok, what works and what is superior. i would think from an intuitive level that if i muscle tested my patients for others and muscle tested them for pure synergy i am sure the latter would win out most of the time, regardless of the patients constitution or problems.

BTW the mushrooms in it are there for a multitude of reasons but these are cancer fighters among other things, particularly reishi and maitake. Cordyceps or dong chong xia cao is the bomb for many many reasons. very expensive if the real thing.

Edited by yuanqi

Sign in to follow this