Pietro

Structure of the mind in Buddhism

Recently the Dalai Lama explained how interested they are in collaborating with Western Science. Spoke praise of it, while clarifying that on psychology, however Buddhism is thousands of years more advanced than western psychology. I was wandering if anybody knew of a good (accessible & complete) introduction to the structure of the mind, according to Buddhism.

Many thanks,

Pietro

BTW, I shall be around today so we might do that famous chat.

I may have something. Will check it out.

I'll PM you later.

Mandrake

Hey. I am interested in it as well!!!

Harry

Recently the Dalai Lama explained how interested they are in collaborating with Western Science. Spoke praise of it, while clarifying that on psychology, however Buddhism is thousands of years more advanced than western psychology. I was wandering if anybody knew of a good (accessible & complete) introduction to the structure of the mind, according to Buddhism.

Many thanks,

Pietro

BTW, I shall be around today so we might do that famous chat.

Hi Pietro,

wether good and complete I don't know.... at least accessible :)

an overview of the mind according to dzogchen:

http://www.berzinarchives.com/dzogchen/fun...ditation_1.html

Affenbrot

Sorry for the late reply. Exams are over, and in addition an internetless week of holidays at my parents place.

Basically, check out Yogacara stuff. Some stuff:

http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/Yoga...siccontents.htm

"What is and isn't Yogacara" some history, but the interesting stuff comes further down:

http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/articles/intro-uni.htm

A book to read is "Doctrine of Mere Consciousness" by Xuanzang. There's a translation by Francis Cook, dunno how easy to find. It's in a collection called "Three texts on consciousness only: Demonstration of consciousness only".

And, there are allways various sutras. Those discussing the five skandhas may shine light on the topic.

No pro myself, but hopefully this helps.

Mandrake

As I was on the train to london about 1 month ago I met Richard, a buddhist friend of mine. It came out that he was doing a phd in 'buddhist psychology'. Bingo. So I asked him a few books (what follows are my raw notes):

-books by the Dalai Lama

-Daniell Goldmann: Working with destructive emotions

-An introduction to Buddhist Psychology

In Buddhism the speak about the "3 baskets":

-sutas (or is it sutras?)

-discipline

-abhidharma (Buddhist psychology)

hope someone finds it useful

I'm getting my latest hits of Buddhism from the infinite smile, (either infinitesmile.com or theinfinitesmile.com). He has dozens of (free:) IPOD compatible talks on zen inspired Buddhism.

Ultimately they (Buddhists) all teach the same thing. But its refreshing to hear it from someone from a closer background who teaches w/ humor and depth.

Michael