Mokona

Meditation question

My primary meditation consists of following my breath. Well, anyway I was meditating and I kept having a sensation of "falling within myself" then it seemed suddenly that I was in a large place without any light with large shapes surrounding me. Is there a term, or goal in Taoism or other meditative arts that explains or mentions anything like this?

Thanks guys.

Falling within yourself and feeling like in a large space...that I can relate with. I think it's a great sign. ^_^

My primary meditation consists of following my breath. Well, anyway I was meditating and I kept having a sensation of "falling within myself" then it seemed suddenly that I was in a large place without any light with large shapes surrounding me. Is there a term, or goal in Taoism or other meditative arts that explains or mentions anything like this?

Thanks guys.

That is just one of the million distractions - don't get carried away by these little insignificant sensations - this is not what you want. Just keep following your breath and keep a straight spine.

Edited by orb

Insightful,

Thanks everyone for the heads up - I'll keep it up and hopefully not be distracted too much. Too provide a bit more info on the Projection thing, this has happened to me accidently in the past, although I am not able to control it at all. My most powerful moments have been in healing and discourse with someone who could be reached no other way.

Thanks again.

Hm i've had similar. I get the bottomless pit/stretching every once in awhile, usually when im relaxing but sometimes even when im standing.

Its best to not intellectualize it too much.

I agree with NeiChuan.

Zen calls these visions/hallucinations/fantasies that are encountered occasionally during meditation Makyo.. Ma means "devil", and kyo "the objective world" ... So, these are disturbing or diabolical phenomena that appear to the practitioner during meditation...

Some of these illusions involve vision, but there are numerous others that relate to the other senses as well..

... quoting from the "Zazen Yojinki" ...

".. the body may feel hot or cold or glasslike or hard or heavy or light. This happens because the breath is not well harmonized with the mind and needs to be carefully regulated..... One may experience the sensation of sinking or floating, or may alternately feel hazy and sharply alert. The disciple may develop the faculty of seeing through solid objects as though they were transparent, or he may experience his own body as a translucent substance. He may see Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. Penetrating insights may suddenly come to him, or passages of sutras which were particularly difficult to understand may suddenly become luminously clear to him. All these abnormal visions and sensations are merely the symptoms of an impairment arising from a maladjustment of the mind with the breath."

Don't dwell too long on your own experience... Keep following your breath.

Edited by balance.

Hm i've had similar. I get the bottomless pit/stretching every once in awhile, usually when im relaxing but sometimes even when im standing.

Its best to not intellectualize it too much.

I couldn't agree more.