DanC

Moods following meditation

I have noticed after doing my morning I AM meditation my mood is not so good, I feel a little agitated and withdrawn, this is really making me think this technique is not for me, in the past I did mainly breath meditations and never had bad moods following a meditation. Is this normal, is this a process I have to go through to reach a better state of mind???

Hi DanC,

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal and it happens to absolutely everyone in the meditation business. Besides, if there was no challenge experienced, then how would you gauge that you had indeed gained progress?

IMHO, the uncomfortable moods put us to view things in a different light, which is essential for learning to subdue the egoistic and reactionary whims. Nevertheless I know of two practices that have helped me in this regard by making my spirit lighter in dire moments:

The Secret Smile

Enhancing Perception through Innocent Wondering

Please remember that consistent practice is essential, and there seems to be nothing wrong in what you are doing.

Blessings

Thanks for you help BuddasBBF, I will continue on my meditation journey through the ups and downs..

Daniel

in the past I did mainly breath meditations and never had bad moods following a meditation.

But then why did you switch? I don't agree that bad feelings are a good sign. Bad feelings are bad feelings.

Different traditions have different effects...in one sense, it is good that these things are coming to the surface. Feeling withdrawn and agitated is something worth experiencing. More important than pushing forward with more meditation, is experiencing it.

Also, I think AYP suggests that you rest afterwards when you feel this way. Savasana is good.

And as soaring crane said...AYP may not be good for everyone, so that is something to consider...

One can say that your bad mood has always been there and your meditation has merely uncovered it. This would be a good thing as now you can work on resolving whatever it is that is causing the negative feelings.

I have noticed after doing my morning I AM meditation my mood is not so good, I feel a little agitated and withdrawn, this is really making me think this technique is not for me, in the past I did mainly breath meditations and never had bad moods following a meditation. Is this normal, is this a process I have to go through to reach a better state of mind???

The question is "Why do I feel the way I do?"

One reason I can think of is that your Egoic self is feeling threatened and will do everything possible to dissuade you from continuing on your "I am" meditation. BTW, have you tried the "I am Not" meditation? Instead of holding on "I am", as yourself continuously, "Who am I?" and the answers will come as "I am not this...I am not that"...

In yoga I hear people talk about, as you open the body, emotional trauma comes up... and the same in meditation.

I believe that to the degree that tough/challenging/etc emotions come up is to the degree that your uprooting attachments and the like.... which is an opportunity to deal with them.

They say that the you have to be the most courageous to be a meditator, because you are facing your fears themselves... not the things that you project them onto in the world.

That the physical world is inherently neutral/empty.

John

Something is wrong.

I've been meditating daily over 20 years and never had anything like what you are describing - nor have I ever known anyone else to have these symptoms.