That Guy

Is Gardening Evil?

I don't mean the whole activity, but you can't have an overgrown garden that really looks nice, so you have to cut the trees, bushes, kill weeds etc.

So this poor tree or bush has been cultivating for a whole year, gathering that energy, growing it branches, strengthening them and then that guy comes along and snip snap all their hard work undone just like that! And as long as they're in my garden, they'll never really grow beyond what they are now, for when they do that guy comes along and puts them back in their place.

And weeds, there they are, just trying to survive and theres that guy, just killing them so the garden can look pretty. It would be like theres a group photo, but you're not good looking enough for the camera man so he takes you out (for good!).

So if you're killing, injuring and oppressing plants just for the sake of having a good looking garden, is that wrong? :lol:

So if you're killing, injuring and oppressing plants just for the sake of having a good looking garden, is that wrong? :lol:

Not in my opinion. And yes, I have a beautiful garden (front yard) and yes, I kill any weed that enters my gardens uninvited with the intention of messing with its beauty, just as I might do to someone who entered my house uninvited with the intention of doing harm.

I have been hit on a number of times about killing the weeds but I content that anyone who wishes to have weeds in the garden instead of beautiful flowers they have that right. I personally choose flowers.

Peace & Love!

Not in my opinion. And yes, I have a beautiful garden (front yard) and yes, I kill any weed that enters my gardens uninvited with the intention of messing with its beauty, just as I might do to someone who entered my house uninvited with the intention of doing harm.

I have been hit on a number of times about killing the weeds but I content that anyone who wishes to have weeds in the garden instead of beautiful flowers they have that right. I personally choose flowers.

Peace & Love!

But isn't it a bit shallow to have the weeds killed so the plants you find prettier can grow? They are both living things after all, and have no real choice on where they were born.

Shouldn't their life be equally as important

Edited by That Guy

Is gardening evil? Lol wow, man you ask some amazing questions "that guy" :rolleyes: . Maybe that's why your name is "that guy" eh? ha ha. There is nothing wrong with maintaining a personal garden. -_-

But isn't it a bit shallow to have the weeds killed so the plants you find prettier can grow? They are both living things after all, and have no real choice on where they were born.

Sounds like no-fault action on this one is pretty tricky...maybe try

companion planting, so that what does grow is desireable and also

discourages "weeds". Wu-wei...?

Is gardening evil? Lol wow, man you ask some amazing questions "that guy" :rolleyes: . Maybe that's why your name is "that guy" eh? ha ha. There is nothing wrong with maintaining a personal garden. -_-

sorry for trying to bring something new to the table, how about I ask this then "will masturbating while is full lotus have any energetic benefit?" Hows that for something more amazing? :P:lol:

But seriously, become one/flow with the Tao, the way of nature and nature includes weeds in the garden :unsure:

Edited by That Guy

sorry for trying to bring something new to the table, how about I ask this then "will masturbating while is full lotus have any energetic benefit?" Hows that for something more amazing? :P:lol:

But seriously, become one/flow with the Tao, the way of nature and nature includes weeds in the garden :unsure:

From a philosophical standpoint: Before the existence of Mrs. Jones' manicured garden and lawn, there were weeds.

Perhaps a day will come when the earth becomes parched and barren... then one day, someone discovers little weeds growing in a tiny crack on the pavement of 5th Avenue - wait for the jubilation at the sight of that!! :lol:

From a philosophical standpoint: Before the existence of Mrs. Jones' manicured garden and lawn, there were weeds.

Perhaps a day will come when the earth becomes parched and barren... then one day, someone discovers little weeds growing in a tiny crack on the pavement of 5th Avenue - wait for the jubilation at the sight of that!! :lol:

Like in Wall-e :lol: (its a 3D animated movie for anyone who doesn't know it, good too btw)

Your body is currently destroying millions of living cells just to keep you alive. Is that evil?

Your body is currently destroying millions of living cells just to keep you alive. Is that evil?

No, but that is simply survival. I'm not doing it in order to support something as superficial as the appearance of a garden, and thats just the Tao doing its thing. Also by maintaining a garden like that, are you not disrupting the flow of the Tao?

@ ralis

:lol: weeds get some well deserved love in mexico, poor guys have it tough

No, but that is simply survival. I'm not doing it in order to support something as superficial as the appearance of a garden, and thats just the Tao doing its thing. Also by maintaining a garden like that, are you not disrupting the flow of the Tao?

@ ralis

If that were true, just maintaining oneself would be a disruption of the Tao? :lol:

Is taking a bath a disruption of the Tao? :P

ralis

Edited by ralis

@ ralis

I think we are called by the Tao to use our free will to be engaged in its process, including creation and destruction.

A well cultivated garden should not only be aesthetically beautiful, but be balanced and supportive of various forms of life. I do not know enough about gardening to talk about the virtues or lack thereof of weeds and flowers, but I do know that we have a calling to create harmonious environments and this may require destroying certain life forms. In this manifest realm, this is one of humans' special privileges.

If I recall correctly, beavers are the only other animal to significantly alter their environment. They kill trees to stop the flow of rivers. Is that evil? There might be things going on there besides mere survival.

Also, the aesthetic value of a garden might not be as superficial as you think, and gardens can have other purposes besides aesthetic enjoyment.

Okay. Let us consider a human being. I see a man raping an eleven year old girl. Do you honestly think I am going to allow him to continue raping her if I have the means to stop the assult.

You can put a lot of money on the bet that I will remove him from the garden.

I allow weeds to grow any place they wish as long as they do not try to grow where I have planned growth taking place. No, it's not shallow. It is only a matter of choice and free will - both of which were given to me by nature - whether I choose to allow the weed to grow or die. I choose death for the weed every time.

No, all life is not equally important from humanities point of view. There are many of us who wish someone had killed Hitler during the 1920's.

Now, after all this killing I am still going to wish everyone:

Peace & Love!

Sounds like no-fault action on this one is pretty tricky...maybe try

companion planting, so that what does grow is desireable and also

discourages "weeds". Wu-wei...?

I actually do that. When I plant a garden I try to plant it so tight that there is no room nor no sun reaching the soil so that weeds cannot grow. I am mostly successful but still a few get in now and then.

Peace & Love!

Not in mine. Sorry all you weed lovers.

Peace & Love!

Out here in New Mexico, weeds have value because they are green. :lol:

ralis

Hehehe. You are right on the money with that one!!!

Peace & Love!

If that were true, just maintaining oneself would be a disruption of the Tao? :lol:

Is taking a bath a disruption of the Tao? :P

ralis

Maybe :lol: If it is, then I guess I'm not flowing with the Tao :lol:

@Ryano

You're right, after all we are part of nature, so any changes we make in the environment are just natural :) Like dams and cities and... oh wwait, now I'm lost :wacko::D jk, I guess it all boils down to it having a positive or a negative effect for you ^_^

Maybe :lol: If it is, then I guess I'm not flowing with the Tao :lol:

@Ryano

You're right, after all we are part of nature, so any changes we make in the environment are just natural :) Like dams and cities and... oh wwait, now I'm lost :wacko::D jk, I guess it all boils down to it having a positive or a negative effect for you ^_^

True. I think the take-home point is that destruction isn't evil, imbalance is. Gardening can be evil if it is not harmonious. Inappropriate killing of weeds, planting too may flowers, etc. can all lead to imbalance and decay. Virtuous gardening, like any endeavor, follows the middle path.

True. I think the take-home point is that destruction isn't evil, imbalance is. Gardening can be evil if it is not harmonious. Inappropriate killing of weeds, planting too may flowers, etc. can all lead to imbalance and decay. Virtuous gardening, like any endeavor, follows the middle path.

Exactly what is virtuous gardening? I am a Horticulturist and that is news to me.

ralis

Exactly what is virtuous gardening? I am a Horticulturist and that is news to me.

ralis

Well, the answer is varied and depends upon the philosophical/religious context. It is basically gardening with virtuous intention.

Like I said, I think gardening can in fact be evil. Killing weeds because one is angry, for example, would not be virtuous gardening.

An excerpt from the book "The Tao of Gardening" by Pamela Metz:

Weeds may be seen as beautiful

and flowers may not be attractive.

Some people see growing things as desirable

while others may see growing the same things as

undesirable..

Good and bad are necessary parts of the whole.

In a garden, all are a part of life.

Weeds become flowers,

flowers were once weeds.

The Master Gardener therefore

works with all things.

She learns to do nothing

when nothing is to be done.

It may be her garden

but she understands

that it is larger than herself.

(Chapter 2 - Paradox and Weeds)

Hi CowTao,

Yes, that is a very valid perspective, in my opinion.

There are people a little further south from where I live who grow 'butterfly gardens'. To me they look like weed patches. But, they serve their intended purpose because the plants that are grown attract butterflies.

Just another example of dualities caused by the human brain.

Peace & Love!