effilang

What does this mudra mean?

Hey Fellow Bums and Bumettes,

I have been noticing as of late that at some point during my sitting meditation my fingers adapt this mudra subconsciously:

mudra.jpg

I never manage to catch myself in the act. I only gain awareness of it after it has happened and a significant while has passed.

I know it is common for one to go into spontaneous yoga positions, adapt mudras have kriyas etc. so its all good. I'd like to know however if anyone can identify this mudra and perhaps tell me what it is used for? - Where it concentrates the energy in the body; what center it works with, what significance it has etc.

Cheerios.

:unsure::lol:

Interesting.

Thanks Scotty.

If anyone else has any more information to share on that please do :closedeyes::D

Found this: "Tradition says that this mudra chases away sadness, reduces fearfulness, turns away misfortune and bad luck, and overcomes depressions."

Edited by effilang

Interesting.

Thanks Scotty.

If anyone else has any more information to share on that please do :closedeyes::D

Found this: "Tradition says that this mudra chases away sadness, reduces fearfulness, turns away misfortune and bad luck, and overcomes depressions."

It is a Xiantian mudra, the earliest one a human being performs -- before birth and immediately after! It is used in female alchemy (are you female? if you are, I'll tell you more.:))

Hey Fellow Bums and Bumettes,

I have been noticing as of late that at some point during my sitting meditation my fingers adapt this mudra subconsciously:

mudra.jpg

I never manage to catch myself in the act. I only gain awareness of it after it has happened and a significant while has passed.

I know it is common for one to go into spontaneous yoga positions, adapt mudras have kriyas etc. so its all good. I'd like to know however if anyone can identify this mudra and perhaps tell me what it is used for? - Where it concentrates the energy in the body; what center it works with, what significance it has etc.

Cheerios.

:unsure::lol:

It is used to repluse beings that are executing bad intentions

or are trying to execute bad intentions.

Edited by lino

It is a Xiantian mudra, the earliest one a human being performs -- before birth and immediately after! It is used in female alchemy (are you female? if you are, I'll tell you more.:))

Ah thats right, i see babies doing it all the time. Now that i think about it, they do it the most! - I wonder what the deal with that is?

I'm not female [Last i checked. Do my hands look that girly : :glare: ] - but there might be a female reader on the thread ^_^

Thanx Meow :wub:

PS: Thats right lino; i recall Steam or FiveElement mentioning that some time ago. Somewhere in the Kunlun thread when all that talk about reptiles and demons was going on :lol:

Edited by effilang

vajra fist

helps you to retain energy inside the body and strengthen wei chi

Learned it in medical qigong as the mudra that represents the earth element. It does what Santi says. Once can hold your arms besides your sides as you stand and then put your hands into that fist. It grounds you into the earth.

well I know in MIchael Winn's Sexual Vitality Qigong this hand position is used in some of his qigong exercises to store the chi into the kidneys.

Ie, one move has you breathe in raising your arms and opening from your chest as you come up, and towards the end the arms move toward a 90 degree angle as your palms facing forward and hands pointing up towards the end of the movement, with thumb and index finger making a dragon's claw, or opening into a 90 degree angle just like the arms. This movement is supposed to bring chi into the lungs, and the next movement after is supposed to store that chi into the kidneys, connecting the lungs with the kidneys as you do each movement consecutively. So after the inbreath you bring the arms back down, and bend over make the chin lock pointing toward the chest, looking down, as you bring your hands to the back to rest over the Kidneys in the same fist mudra you show, and of course breathing out pushing the chi from the lungs to the kidney area.

So yea.. I'm guessing the mudra is some sort of lock. Just like anal sphincter closing, and chin lock. Bringing the thumbs inward and you may even feel it, as the thumbs are like an energetic extension and as you bring it in position it feels as if you're accumulating chi and not letting it drain out. retention.

Edited by Non