Bruno Loff

Kundalini and Concentration

Dear bums,

markern was kind enough to ask you for some advice from my part, but let me do that personally.

To make a long story short: back in September 2008 I've had a serious LSD trip that seems to have awakened my kundalini. I've went through a very rough year of severe depression, during which I got into contact with insight meditation. I've done insight meditation up to stream-entry (first experience of nirvana), and now I am currently dealing with a somewhat disruptive (albeit not unpleasant) kundalini buzz. I feel a constant pulsating buzz in the base of the spine, and I have several energetic symptoms such as openings, releases, pains, buzzing in other chakras, etc. There have been quite a few changes in sensorial perception, and the whole process affects cognition in ways I can't fully understand.

The feelings themselves are not unpleasant. I used to be scared by them, and then I realised that fear was making it all worst, so I practiced not being afraid, and that seems to be going well.

However, albeit no longer unpleasant, the symptoms are distracting. If I am being physically active, then I am fine. But if I am doing something more quiet, such as reading, then each release, pulse, shift, and woosh, pulls my attention from what I am doing into the body. This might be ok, but the problem is that, as a phd student, concentrated reading is my everyday job! So I am finding kundalini to be highly annoying.

So I tried to do concentration meditation. Now, I whenever I close my eyes I can go really deep, really!, but not in a controlled, sustained, focused way, more in a "falling into a deep well, hitting the walls" sort of way. I don't mind going along with it, but doing it seems to excite my kundalini even further!

I was really inspired by the alchemicaltao.com site, and I've decided to come forth and ask advice from all you taoist bums.

Anything regarding grounding kundalini, slowing it down to a friendly pace, and learning to concentrate under its powerful influence, would be welcome.

Markern just sent me an email recommending I take a look at KAP. I'll do that and see how it goes. Meanwhile, I welcome any stories or suggestions :-)

Bruno

1. eat meat

2. lift weights

3. supplement with minerals ALL, except iron

4. inner smile/secret smile- done standing with eyes open

5. martial arts

6. grounding meditations/rooting

7. zhan zhuang

8. foam rolling

9. KAP exercises

10. Support collagen production. Biosil, manganese, glycine, proline, vitamin c, glucosamine sulphate,

There is more, if you want more suggestions for protocol let me know

Edited by Ramon25

1. eat meat

2. lift weights

3. supplement with minerals ALL, except iron

4. inner smile/secret smile- done standing with eyes open

5. martial arts

6. grounding meditations/rooting

7. zhan zhuang

8. foam rolling

9. KAP exercises

10. Support collagen production. Biosil, manganese, glycine, proline, vitamin c, glucosamine sulphate,

There is more, if you want more suggestions for protocol let me know

Not sure why you're against Iron, Ramon

http://www.askshelley.com/forum/about2358.html

Iron - an iron molecule is at the heart of every red blood cell. It is the only way the body can transport oxygen. Anemia will cause a heart attack faster than high cholesterol. Take Kal or Solaray's Iron Asporotate as needed.

A green supplement like Perfect Food would also benefit anyone, at any stage of energy development.

:) Well my friend. First off damn your 2 cents. JK. haha, Anyways iron is essential too life. But too much is a real problem that we are just starting to become aware of. Its called iron overload and is quite common. It will also cuase a heart attack very quickly, It is actually the iron in the blood that causes the damage of heart attack in the first place. Iron though is highly oxidative and too much causes low level damage the accumalates. A diet that includes meat is sufficient for most people especially men, who dont have the luxury of bleeding on a monthly basis to lose extra any etra iron. the body does not get rid of excess iron unless you bleed and the little it needs for daily task. If you go to the vit store or online you will find MANY multimineral supplements that exclude iron for that very reason. In fact most HIGH quality speciality multi's dont have it in there because of that problem.

P.S high cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, by a long shot.

Hey Bruno, I feel for ya.

*First off, do you do physical exercise?

I think its probably the number one way to keep the K in check. I enjoy running and strength training, but even walking helps. Don't sit all day, be active.

*Do you do yoga asanas?

If not, i highly recommend starting.

*What is your diet like?

I'm not talking about veg/meat. I'm talking about processed foods. Additives, refined sugars, all that stuff has got to go man. Fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, high quality meats and fishes.

*What is your posture like?

If its not perfect start making it like that.

*Drugs?

You don't necessarily have to cut drugs out. Booze and caffeine aren't gonna hurt you in moderation. Cannabis I would handle with caution, it can really send it into overdrive.

Thank you for your suggestions.

During the past month I have taken daily walks in the park, I've done exercise (swimming) twice a week, and I have always eaten heavy, healthy foods. I cook myself, and I know how to cook fairly healthy. I take the occasional beer. I wouldn't dream of doing marijuana, whenever I did it last year I had cosmic-level highs.

I have just begun a twice-daily practice of rooting routines. Feet, ankles, knees, squats, and so on (I got myself a copy of "GETTING GROUNDED" by Michael Nagel).

I will look into these supplements. I wonder, what is the rationale for taking minerals, and increasing collagen production?

I have given up most activities I enjoyed :-( Music is too intense, reading is almost pointless, and I can't take more than the occasional movie. Despite this, I have managed to sustain a good humor on most days. But it gets tough, particularly if I spend five days a week trying to read without concentration, plus phd-student life is very isolated.

:-( I'll keep you posted on how the rooting thing develops.

Hey Bruno, what are you studying for PhD?

btw I read your post a while ago on DhO. I agree with you that those who are just on Insight path are missing out on something. It definitely seems like a slightly different path in terms of where you're dropped off vs Kundalini which focuses on purifying as well as insight, so its probably just a more enjoyable ride.

During the past month I have taken daily walks in the park, I've done exercise (swimming) twice a week, and I have always eaten heavy, healthy foods. I cook myself, and I know how to cook fairly healthy. I take the occasional beer. I wouldn't dream of doing marijuana, whenever I did it last year I had cosmic-level highs.

I have just begun a twice-daily practice of rooting routines. Feet, ankles, knees, squats, and so on (I got myself a copy of "GETTING GROUNDED" by Michael Nagel).

I will look into these supplements. I wonder, what is the rationale for taking minerals, and increasing collagen production?

I have given up most activities I enjoyed :-( Music is too intense, reading is almost pointless, and I can't take more than the occasional movie. Despite this, I have managed to sustain a good humor on most days. But it gets tough, particularly if I spend five days a week trying to read without concentration, plus phd-student life is very isolated.

Hi Bruno,

I read your OP and was going to reply but couldn't think of anything to say other than - yea, its tough!

I have one observation on the reading thing - if I understand what is happening to you. Concentration raises energy ... I used to find that after a long drive where I was focusing hard on the road when I sat to meditate my mind would be absolutely buzzing - but that the energy generated wasn't particularly useful. When I tried to read it got even worse. I could focus really hard on each letter to the point where I felt I could lift them off the page (if this makes any sense) or a big blob of light would form in front of my field of vision and I couldn't really focus at all. This latter effect is often accompanied by physical buzzing of various kinds.

I think what you need to do is learn to scan read again. When we read ordinarily we do two thinks at once. One part of our mind scans the text for meaning while the other part checks for accuracy - its a mixture of focused and peripheral vision. What can happen is that the focus part can over dominate and this makes the peripheral bit wander off or sometimes blank out. What you need to do is let go of the tension which makes you want to over-focus ... and then think light heartedly about the meaning of what you just read.

I haven't explained this very well - but I hope you get something from what I have said.

best wishes

John

Dude it sounds like you're well on your way then.

Forget about all these supplements and that kind of junk.

If you need some mineral or something, you will you find that you will be naturally inclined to eat certain foods, or will magically be led to taking the vitamins or something. Don't take a bunch supplements because someone on the internet told you it was a good idea ;)

Really what it comes down to is managing the energy... you need to develop some "tools" that you can rely on to do that.

Good luck!

Interestingly, with regards to minerals, I do feel very prone to eat nuts and fish, which I do very often! Also interesting, I was reading a book on ayurveda, and found out that a lot of the symptoms I complain about can be classified as "excess vatta." Then, reading up on the dietary recommendations for this, I discovered that many of newly acquired eating tendencies where already as indicated by the book :-)

John, that advice might actually be very valuable. I have recently noticed that, moved by frustration, I overstrain while reading. When this happens I tend to really power up the focus bit, reading word by word somewhat forcefully. I was already trying to get out of this habit. Looking back, it seems that it might have something to do with not scan-reading properly!

As I write this, all sort of things are happening in my legs (vibration, pains, twitches), due to the grounding exercises. In my experience this means that some opening process got started, which is a good sign. I sure hope it balanced thins up...

Thank you all for your time!

Hey man, I'm not trying to lead Bruno down the path to ruin here.

What i said is, use your own head. As in, do your own research before running down to the store to grab a bunch of "supplements" because somebody on the internet told you to.

Yeah, "supplements" can be good, provided you know what you're doing. Im a believer that, if your body needs something, you will find it. At least, that's the way it has been for me.

I've seen the biology of kundalini website, and the creator certainly has a lot of good things to say. But she is making some real reaches on some of the content there. I believe her heart is in the right place, and i commend her on her vision and hard work. But most of the content there, i just don't buy it. A lot of new agey stuff and certainly... and you can't even debate this point... its not science.

Sorry that I sounded a little intense, Nutritional reseach and supplementation is one of my biggest passions, so I well..... Get passionate about it. I agree a lot of it is new age, I said the same on another thread, She still reveals alot though and is one of the few doing so. But minerals are important for everyone And MOST regular people don't get enough, let alone a kundalite. I firmly believe and through research have come to the conclusion that any kundalite would benefit from minerals.

Dear bums,

markern was kind enough to ask you for some advice from my part, but let me do that personally.

To make a long story short: back in September 2008 I've had a serious LSD trip that seems to have awakened my kundalini. I've went through a very rough year of severe depression, during which I got into contact with insight meditation. I've done insight meditation up to stream-entry (first experience of nirvana), and now I am currently dealing with a somewhat disruptive (albeit not unpleasant) kundalini buzz. I feel a constant pulsating buzz in the base of the spine, and I have several energetic symptoms such as openings, releases, pains, buzzing in other chakras, etc. There have been quite a few changes in sensorial perception, and the whole process affects cognition in ways I can't fully understand.

The feelings themselves are not unpleasant. I used to be scared by them, and then I realised that fear was making it all worst, so I practiced not being afraid, and that seems to be going well.

However, albeit no longer unpleasant, the symptoms are distracting. If I am being physically active, then I am fine. But if I am doing something more quiet, such as reading, then each release, pulse, shift, and woosh, pulls my attention from what I am doing into the body. This might be ok, but the problem is that, as a phd student, concentrated reading is my everyday job! So I am finding kundalini to be highly annoying.

So I tried to do concentration meditation. Now, I whenever I close my eyes I can go really deep, really!, but not in a controlled, sustained, focused way, more in a "falling into a deep well, hitting the walls" sort of way. I don't mind going along with it, but doing it seems to excite my kundalini even further!

I was really inspired by the alchemicaltao.com site, and I've decided to come forth and ask advice from all you taoist bums.

Anything regarding grounding kundalini, slowing it down to a friendly pace, and learning to concentrate under its powerful influence, would be welcome.

Markern just sent me an email recommending I take a look at KAP. I'll do that and see how it goes. Meanwhile, I welcome any stories or suggestions :-)

Bruno

For concentration:

1. dump caffienated beverages, tobacco, and processed carbohydrates (use caveman diet). Drink a lot of water.

2. exercise: hard calisthenics (check the push up thread to see my post, try to do this for all exercises)& hard cardio (high intensity interval training).

3. 5-HTP and/or melatonin.

4. got a water filter that cleans out fluoride.

:)

For concentration:

1. dump caffienated beverages, tobacco, and processed carbohydrates (use caveman diet). Drink a lot of water.

2. exercise: hard calisthenics (check the push up thread to see my post, try to do this for all exercises)& hard cardio (high intensity interval training).

3. 5-HTP and/or melatonin.

4. got a water filter that cleans out fluoride.

I like the reply alot except for the 5htp and melatonin. 5 htp does not actually get more serotonin in the brain, its actaully cuases it to build up in the blood, where it can be the source of a few problems. Also melatonin is not a safe supplement at all. It is a hormone and like any hormone you take it will reduce your own production of it. Not to mention in large amounts which is actaully just a few grams, it reduces the production of others hormones form being released at night. It will also disbalance your normal sleep cycles. For sleep there are safer supplements. Good advice on the caveman diet, cheers :)

Sorry that I sounded a little intense, Nutritional reseach and supplementation is one of my biggest passions, so I well..... Get passionate about it. I agree a lot of it is new age, I said the same on another thread, She still reveals alot though and is one of the few doing so. But minerals are important for everyone And MOST regular people don't get enough, let alone a kundalite. I firmly believe and through research have come to the conclusion that any kundalite would benefit from minerals.

Hehehehe :lol: ,

i get it... i should probably educate myself more on supplementation, given that i also i have a really high level of interest in nutrition. Are there any good web sites explaining supplementation? I would probably prefer web sites with a lot of "hard science" and less new age, fwiw.

As far as the Biology of Kundalini website... i don't want to put the woman down, because, as i said she is out there trying to help people and she has a lot of good things to say. But read her "My Story" link, and then get back to me.

^_^

Hehehehe :lol: ,

i get it... i should probably educate myself more on supplementation, given that i also i have a really high level of interest in nutrition. Are there any good web sites explaining supplementation? I would probably prefer web sites with a lot of "hard science" and less new age, fwiw.

As far as the Biology of Kundalini website... i don't want to put the woman down, because, as i said she is out there trying to help people and she has a lot of good things to say. But read her "My Story" link, and then get back to me.

^_^

Haha, thats funny as hell. Go here, Its a forum called the immortality institute, The most educated people in the world on supplements, referencing alot of hard and deep science, are there, sadly every place attracts (fools) so I caution though some of them are a little well.... dumb, to say it bluntly and jump to way too many conclusions based on rat studies :lol: That though is usually corrected by someone else who realizes the flaw, so its best to read ALL post on a thread to get a full picture- read the referenced science and THEN do addtional research outside the forum. That place though is the forefront of anything with antiaging properties

good luck

http://www.imminst.org/

:)

I like the reply alot except for the 5htp and melatonin. 5 htp does not actually get more serotonin in the brain, its actaully cuases it to build up in the blood, where it can be the source of a few problems. Also melatonin is not a safe supplement at all. It is a hormone and like any hormone you take it will reduce your own production of it. Not to mention in large amounts which is actaully just a few grams, it reduces the production of others hormones form being released at night. It will also disbalance your normal sleep cycles. For sleep there are safer supplements. Good advice on the caveman diet, cheers :)

5-htp feels like it reduces sexual desire while somehow reinforcing water.

Thanks Ramon, i will check it out.

I recently started taking the fish oils, and interestingly enough i feel that it helps so subdue my ultra-ultra-ultra sensitive skin. I've also been taking NAC, although i'm not sure that its doing anything.

Do you have any experience with either the fish oils or the NAC?

Thanks Ramon, i will check it out.

I recently started taking the fish oils, and interestingly enough i feel that it helps so subdue my ultra-ultra-ultra sensitive skin. I've also been taking NAC, although i'm not sure that its doing anything.

Do you have any experience with either the fish oils or the NAC?

Yea fishoil is good. As long as your also balancing it with omega 6's. I Know its sounds against the current knowledge that fishoils are great! They are BUT becuase of there see saw action with sixes. Some people avoid a bunch of sixes and overdue the 3's. Thats kind of missing the point huh? Cuz alot of the health benefits of fish oil are based on diets that also have omega 6's in them and also alot fo studies are really pointing to it balncing the 6's. Omega 3's have a host of health benefits but Omega 6's or important aswell you dont want to tip the balance to mostly 3's. Balance between the two is key to good health. So just be mindful of that is important in my opinion.I dont take the fish oils anymore I take krill which i think is superior. NAC is great, i have used but dont now. Mainly because I took it to increase gluathione which is probably one of the singal most important antiaging things you can look to increase. Some people believe it dictates how long you will live. Now I take other stuff that does the same. Its def a great sup with a whole host of benefits. Why did you take it? I think NAC is something you feel pursay. i think it should just be taken lifelong as a glutathione enhancer.

Yea fishoil is good. As long as your also balancing it with omega 6's. I Know its sounds against the current knowledge that fishoils are great! They are BUT becuase of there see saw action with sixes. Some people avoid a bunch of sixes and overdue the 3's. Thats kind of missing the point huh? Cuz alot of the health benefits of fish oil are based on diets that also have omega 6's in them and also alot fo studies are really pointing to it balncing the 6's. Omega 3's have a host of health benefits but Omega 6's or important aswell you dont want to tip the balance to mostly 3's. Balance between the two is key to good health. So just be mindful of that is important in my opinion.I dont take the fish oils anymore I take krill which i think is superior. NAC is great, i have used but dont now. Mainly because I took it to increase gluathione which is probably one of the singal most important antiaging things you can look to increase. Some people believe it dictates how long you will live. Now I take other stuff that does the same. Its def a great sup with a whole host of benefits. Why did you take it? I think NAC is something you feel pursay. i think it should just be taken lifelong as a glutathione enhancer.

Seems like the majority of people are missing out on Omega 3's and take too much Omega 6's. Makes sense since Americans eat a shitload of corn products.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/cod-liver-oil.htm

People in the U.S. consume a dangerously inadequate amount of Omega-3, a fat which is essential to good health but is only found in fish oil and a few other foods. Meanwhile, our intake of Omega-6 fats, another fat found in soy, corn, sunflower and other oils, is much too high.

cod liver oil and fish oil

]Experts looking at the dietary ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids suggest that in early human history the ratio was about 1:1, however the typical American's ratio is around 20:1 to 50:1! Generally our diet contains far too much omega 6 fats. For most of us, this means greatly reducing the omega-6 fatty acids we consume and increasing the amount of omega-3 fatty acids.

"I have given up most activities I enjoyed :-"

"plus phd-student life is very isolated."

Why did you give up the enjoyable activities?

I think that the second issue could set anyone off. In fact, don't people do that on purpose? Go into solitude?

I guess if you are no longer constantly surrounded by people, you end up with yourself? Then you find out which parts really are you?

In your shoes (which I'm not, obviously) I'd cut a deal with Shakti and ask her to tone it down when I need to "get stuff done" (it's a "first chakra" thing, she'll get it, unless you're being untrue to yourself in your pursuit of your PHD, in which case I have no idea what will happen)

Other suggestions for "grounding" here are very good. The supplements stuff, I guess I'd rather get food from food, but maybe you don't have time to eat well either? I suspect she doesn't dig that.

First thing do not keep the energy in the crown chakra move it two the feet and hands this takes a little work. Then as far as diet goes I would consider a vegetable diet with fish and chicken stay away from red meat. Remember what you put in your body and practice you get back,always take it to a higher level and don't swim with the carp [bottom feeders]. Cloud