Sign in to follow this  
Sunya

Technology and subtle energy work / medicine

My girlfriend asked me what I thought of this and I said well.. I have no clue, but it's an interesting topic to discuss with the bums.

There seems to be the advent of more and more technology that attempts to incorporate the subtle energetic system, though I'm not sure if there is actually any hard scientific evidence to measure subtle energy (but perhaps I'm wrong). Is it just a matter of time before the scientific community catches up and accepts the notion of a subtle energetic system? Will technology then be very favorable for those interested in meditation/qi gong and especially practitioners of acupuncture? What about current technology such as the link above? Is there any current technology which is beneficial in healing the subtle energetic pathways?

For some reason I'm skeptical that current technology has any benefit toward subtle energetic opening/healing, though I know some acupuncturists use electronic stimulation. I would think that only once the scientific community "discovers" energetic phenomena will there be actually good technology that will benefit us all. The likelihood of this happening is more likely overseas (such as Russia, China, Japan) where research is already being done in these areas. I do believe that it is entirely possible for technology to aid us and actually be much more beneficial than current traditional methods.

Thoughts?

Edited by mikaelz

"Diagnose ailments and pinpoint the specific areas that need attention simply by passing the Acu-Pen over your palm"

Yeah, right.

There is something to acupoint stimulation with electricity but the above statement really turns me off.

There are several "qigong" machines out there as well. The problem is that they only represent one component of the whole with no intent, no feedback, and no Spirit connection. I do think that at some point science will be able to properly talk about "subtle" not-so-subtle energies.

My girlfriend asked me what I thought of this and I said well.. I have no clue, but it's an interesting topic to discuss with the bums.

There seems to be the advent of more and more technology that attempts to incorporate the subtle energetic system, though I'm not sure if there is actually any hard scientific evidence to measure subtle energy (but perhaps I'm wrong). Is it just a matter of time before the scientific community catches up and accepts the notion of a subtle energetic system? Will technology then be very favorable for those interested in meditation/qi gong and especially practitioners of acupuncture? What about current technology such as the link above? Is there any current technology which is beneficial in healing the subtle energetic pathways?

For some reason I'm skeptical that current technology has any benefit toward subtle energetic opening/healing, though I know some acupuncturists use electronic stimulation. I would think that only once the scientific community "discovers" energetic phenomena will there be actually good technology that will benefit us all. The likelihood of this happening is more likely overseas (such as Russia, China, Japan) where research is already being done in these areas. I do believe that it is entirely possible for technology to aid us and actually be much more beneficial than current traditional methods.

Thoughts?

Its important to remember that energetic and spiritual practice that is done on a consistent and systematic manner falls under the definition of technology, in the broadest sense. I think it was Walter Benjamin who defined the difference "ecstatic communion with the cosmos" as examples of the 1st. form of technology, and technology as we define it within the modernist era as the 2nd technology. Qigong is a form of technology. The term "techne" is Greek and relates to systematic knowledge:

(Greek, skill or art) The knowledge of how to do things and make things.

I think we will see more products like the one above, yet very few are at this point good enough to replace the real thing. This does not mean that they may prove very efficient for people lacking the insight, knowledge or will to learn traditional practices.

A good example of a technology and new science that is redefining meditation for many is binaural beats, like Holosync or Lifeflow, along with the new frontier of neuroscience. The knowledge from neuroscience, neuropsychology and other brain-related research, may prove a great vechicle for people who are not "orientally" minded. The advantage of technology coming out from this research is that it lacks all the cultural baggage that rejects many, opening new entryways to spirituality or just plain emotional well being.

Point is not being dualistic. There is value in technology, yet how we utilize it, and how we are able to define its limits is up to us.

That said, technology has alot if extra "info" in it that is not neccesarily very clean and pure.

h

Edited by hagar

Thanks for the responses guys.

Do you think there will be a point where technology will exist that can scan your meridians and fix you right up? I know this sounds very Star Trekkie but it's a very cool idea. Though a perceived danger of this is that people will become dependent on this technology and not want to do their own work (like people horde vitamins instead of eating good whole foods).

I wonder if there can be a balance between doing your own work but really benefiting from technology. I know that the Chinese, Indians, and Tibetans have done this through their traditional medical practices which have herbal tonics meant to supplement yogic practice.

Ya Mu, what are your thoughts about the future of technology in relation to spiritual practice? Do you agree that it could be problematic because people will just become dependent? Such as the example of some machine that can pinpoint your blockages and instantly heal you. Even if this is possible.. perhaps it'll only make people lazy.

Do you think there will be a point where technology will exist that can scan your meridians and fix you right up? I know this sounds very Star Trekkie but it's a very cool idea. Though a perceived danger of this is that people will become dependent on this technology and not want to do their own work (like people horde vitamins instead of eating good whole foods).

I wonder if there can be a balance between doing your own work but really benefiting from technology. I know that the Chinese, Indians, and Tibetans have done this through their traditional medical practices which have herbal tonics meant to supplement yogic practice.

Ya Mu, what are your thoughts about the future of technology in relation to spiritual practice? Do you agree that it could be problematic because people will just become dependent? Such as the example of some machine that can pinpoint your blockages and instantly heal you. Even if this is possible.. perhaps it'll only make people lazy.

For many years now I have said that medical qigong IS future's medicine. I see the western med not working as well, herbal medicine still works but contamination is worse instead of better. Qigong healing works better today than it did even 10 years ago. I know that sounds weird but this is what I have seen. Not just from me but from everyone that gets involved with it. As the energies shift it will become more and more the "norm" as a type of healing people seek out because it works better than ever. I think energy medicine will surpass all other forms of therapy and healing. As someone pointed out, it IS a science.

Do you think there will be a point where technology will exist that can scan your meridians and fix you right up?

Well that's what they were trying for with the cosmodic scenar. I owned the cheapest one for a while...it seemed powerful, but the scanning wasn't precise enough, and that is essential to having it work.

(It would have been helpful to have precise measurements of reactive spots, instead of just a sticking feeling and three LED lights. Then you could better tell which was the best spot on the body to use...and then the results could either show if it was a really good device or not. It would have also been good if the metal area was adjustable, to reach different sections of the skin more easily.)

Anyway...

The problem with the meridians is that it's only one way of looking at the body...which is an extremely complex machine. There are many methods of healing, and not one magic bullet type.

And the problem with treating the body only, is that the mind is really the culprit...

:ninja:

Hey Scott!

Yours or mine? :lol:

Again, it's a total (looping?) system. Danger, I'm learning when approaching integrated approaches is my (still subtle) tendency to disintegrate them. Or make them into my way of seeing things (worse?) Maybe other people don't? Maybe TCM practitioners do, but just way better than I do?

I know I need to watch out for it. It reminds me of the way we are taught to categorize in the poem, "in a dark, dark universe, there is a dark dark world, etc" like Russian dolls.

Not to say there are no (and better) applications. As the old saw goes "If my arm got lobbed off by a sword, I wouldn't go to an acupuncturist to have it sewn back on" - or something like that :blink:

And I wonder, what in applicative terms would preclude using digital vs analogue technologies of this type? If a wave is "alpha", isn't it "alpha" whatever the delivery mode?

Sssh, I can hear Drew arriving!

You might be interested in part 2 of this interview.

For many years now I have said that medical qigong IS future's medicine. I see the western med not working as well, herbal medicine still works but contamination is worse instead of better. Qigong healing works better today than it did even 10 years ago. I know that sounds weird but this is what I have seen. Not just from me but from everyone that gets involved with it. As the energies shift it will become more and more the "norm" as a type of healing people seek out because it works better than ever. I think energy medicine will surpass all other forms of therapy and healing. As someone pointed out, it IS a science.

Hmm interesting observation. Do you think even using needles in the future will be unnecessary? It'll strictly be healing from person to person with no necessary intermediary? I like that idea.. a lot..

You know what I would love to know? What damn type of energy cultivaton techniques aliens use and are aware of. <_<

its already here:

http://thorpinstitute.com/ the electroaccuscope

you can scan meridians with a probe and find the chi stagnation and fix it... Been around since the 80s. I have had treatments, It is amazing.

you will find this machine in chiropractor offices, physical therapy practices, on sports teams for rehab, veterinarian offices (it was first used for equine injuries), etc...

s

i think next year I will get one for myself and to use in my healing practice. The 10k plus price tag has always held me back but I am going to get one in 2011 I think.

Edited by ShaktiMama

Hmm interesting observation. Do you think even using needles in the future will be unnecessary? It'll strictly be healing from person to person with no necessary intermediary? I like that idea.. a lot..

esoteric medical qigong uses golden needles, etheric or invisible needles created from chi. I have used them, have had them used on me, and have seen other practitioners use them...get good results, similiar to regular needles.. I also watched a medical qigong doctor in China create and use them. You will see them utilized quite a bit for children and for getting to hard to reach places.

fascinating world we live in.

s

Speaking as a nurse with 20 years experience observing the public, laziness in caring for one's own health is the norm. People are people. Convenience is king. :)

s

its already here:

http://thorpinstitute.com/ the electroaccuscope

you can scan meridians with a probe and find the chi stagnation and fix it... Been around since the 80s. I have had treatments, It is amazing.

you will find this machine in chiropractor offices, physical therapy practices, on sports teams for rehab, veterinarian offices (it was first used for equine injuries), etc...

s

i think next year I will get one for myself and to use in my healing practice. The 10k plus price tag has always held me back but I am going to get one in 2011 I think.

Oi, that thing has more knobs and switches than the inside of a NASA Spaceshuttle, Ayiaaa!

Edited by Mokona

Its important to remember that energetic and spiritual practice that is done on a consistent and systematic manner falls under the definition of technology, in the broadest sense. I think it was Walter Benjamin who defined the difference "ecstatic communion with the cosmos" as examples of the 1st. form of technology, and technology as we define it within the modernist era as the 2nd technology. Qigong is a form of technology. The term "techne" is Greek and relates to systematic knowledge:

(Greek, skill or art) The knowledge of how to do things and make things.

I think we will see more products like the one above, yet very few are at this point good enough to replace the real thing. This does not mean that they may prove very efficient for people lacking the insight, knowledge or will to learn traditional practices.

A good example of a technology and new science that is redefining meditation for many is binaural beats, like Holosync or Lifeflow, along with the new frontier of neuroscience. The knowledge from neuroscience, neuropsychology and other brain-related research, may prove a great vechicle for people who are not "orientally" minded. The advantage of technology coming out from this research is that it lacks all the cultural baggage that rejects many, opening new entryways to spirituality or just plain emotional well being.

Point is not being dualistic. There is value in technology, yet how we utilize it, and how we are able to define its limits is up to us.

That said, technology has alot if extra "info" in it that is not neccesarily very clean and pure.

h

I totally agree with your point of view about technology - Walter Benjamin was definitively right: could you give us a more specific reference to the "ecstatic communion with the cosmos" ?

Edited by buscon

As SM replied , in Med Qigong the needles are made of Light. We have 3 different ways of doing "qigong-style acupuncture." So reg needles are not necessary. Yes, I do think what you say is true.

Also, IMO machines can never develop Spirit connection so will NEVER be able to accomplish what a Being of Light can accomplish. Possibly in the future, when machines can interact on the quantum level, they will get much better - but always will be limited.

Hi Michael,

Would you please clarify what you mean about contamination? Of the herbal medicines? Like you can't trust what someone grows or puts in a bottle? If so, how great of a concern is this to you? To your patients and colleages?

Thanks.

History of Medicine

2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root.

1000 A.D. - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.

1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.

1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.

1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.

2000 A.D. - That antibiotic is artificial and ineffective. Here, eat this root.

2010 A.D. - That herb is contaminated; grown with pesticides and the soil is depleted, Here, practice qigong.

I continue to utilize herbs, but the long-term outlook is not good unless humanity changes. The soil is depleted, not providing proper nutrients. Pesticides are used. Ground water contamination. You really have to watch and make sure your sources are testing raw product - unless you grow yourself, then you should use natural fertilizer methods and insure non-contamination of water supply.

Sign in to follow this