Sign in to follow this  
Sloppy Zhang

Letting Go

So I've mentioned it a few times before, but one of the things I have noticed about myself is I can get pretty OCD when it comes to thought patterns. Not necessarily behaviors, but it's more like cycles of repetitive thoughts. It's happened pretty much my entire life, but nothing I really ever took notice of, and nothing that's ever really been a problem- until I took notice of it and tried to stop.

It's gotten to a point where intellectually I know that I just need to let go of it all. It's really hard to, say, once I get into some thought cycle, not go through with it all the way. But even if I get through it all, I know I am going to get sucked into it again. I've given it lots of thought. I've examined it as it's all happened. I know where it's going to go- I just can't stop myself from going there.

I really am just very tired of it- it's causing me stress that is messing up my health and messing up my life in general. But again, letting go, not intellectually letting go, but letting go with my entire being, seems very hard.

On the one hand, there is B.K. Frantzis' method, which I really like, but for this situation it feels like every time I try to let go a little at a time, well it's still there. It might get smaller and smaller and smaller, but it's still present. And in some instances, even trying to let go has caused these thoughts to kick back. So I've contemplated letting it all go, just dumping it all out in one go....

But as soon as I do that, it seems like I can't. So then I think I should go through a little at a time... thus, a new cycle is born.

I'm really interested in how you guys view this problem, and any suggestions or experiences you might have. Even with all the trouble this has caused, I've learned a lot about myself, about the ego in general, and about all kinds of knee jerk reactions that people can have :)

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Hi Sloppy Zhang,

Have you tried distracting from the thought patterns?

What I'm referring to is have something that you really enjoy or gain pleasure from always on the tip of your brain, so to speak. Whenever the thoughts that you are trying to get rid of begin their process you concentrate on that special something.

I forget where, when and by whom but it has been shown that the less time we spend on a thought pattern the less frequently it will randomly arise.

Yeah, most of us talk about letting go and living in the now. That is so easy to say, isn't it? Significantly harder to impliment though, I suggest. Especially when the scars of whatever still have not completely healed.

My best wishes to you at getting a handle on this.

Peace & Love!

Hello,

Trying to get the mind out of it's loops and patterns is always challenging.... for we mortals anyway. I've found good relief from the approach of focusing on the state of mind I do want rather than trying to shut down the one I don't. Approaching it as a matter of tuning into the signal you are looking for and recognizing the rest of the noise as the static it is. We are not our thoughts and generally speaking, even when our thoughts are clever/exciting, they are not significant. I try to use that as my focus. Let go of the noise by tuning into the fact that something quiet under there is doing the thinking.

Best of luck,

Russell

Northwest Internal Arts

It sounds to me, Sloppy, that you aren't reallyletting go. The impression I get is that you want to let go to get something, to go somewhere. This isn't really letting go, this is just clinging in a different direction. You're looking for a certain state of being.

Real letting go (and this is not to say that I'm a master of it by any means) seems like it would be about just letting go, and whatever happens, happens. Maybe you don't get bliss. Maybe the thoughts don't die down. This is really letting go.

But as soon as I do that, it seems like I can't. So then I think I should go through a little at a time... thus, a new cycle is born.

I'm really interested in how you guys view this problem, and any suggestions or experiences you might have. Even with all the trouble this has caused, I've learned a lot about myself, about the ego in general, and about all kinds of knee jerk reactions that people can have :)

Psilocybin is an extremely valuable tool as to learning how to let go. The experience, the ego death, union with the universal consciousness; the Tao, it is really all quite amazing.

You need to work on dissolving your ego, this is the root of your problem. It is your ego that does not want to 'let go', your spirit is doing everything it can to!

More meditation.

Hi Sloppy Zhang,

Have you tried distracting from the thought patterns?

What I'm referring to is have something that you really enjoy or gain pleasure from always on the tip of your brain, so to speak. Whenever the thoughts that you are trying to get rid of begin their process you concentrate on that special something.

I forget where, when and by whom but it has been shown that the less time we spend on a thought pattern the less frequently it will randomly arise.

Yeah, most of us talk about letting go and living in the now. That is so easy to say, isn't it? Significantly harder to impliment though, I suggest. Especially when the scars of whatever still have not completely healed.

My best wishes to you at getting a handle on this.

Peace & Love!

Yeah, but that sort of thing is not really always effective- it's like, as long as I don't run into a certain stimulus it's fine, right? But whenever I run into a certain stimulus, even after a long time, it triggers the event.

Also, even if it is not the exact same thoughts, the same types of thoughts arise. So, I might not get into a 10 minute thought strain about closing the door, but I might get into one about opening the drawers. I gotta get to the root.

Hello,

Trying to get the mind out of it's loops and patterns is always challenging.... for we mortals anyway. I've found good relief from the approach of focusing on the state of mind I do want rather than trying to shut down the one I don't. Approaching it as a matter of tuning into the signal you are looking for and recognizing the rest of the noise as the static it is. We are not our thoughts and generally speaking, even when our thoughts are clever/exciting, they are not significant. I try to use that as my focus. Let go of the noise by tuning into the fact that something quiet under there is doing the thinking.

Best of luck,

Russell

Northwest Internal Arts

Thanks for the advice :)

It sounds to me, Sloppy, that you aren't reallyletting go. The impression I get is that you want to let go to get something, to go somewhere. This isn't really letting go, this is just clinging in a different direction. You're looking for a certain state of being.

Real letting go (and this is not to say that I'm a master of it by any means) seems like it would be about just letting go, and whatever happens, happens. Maybe you don't get bliss. Maybe the thoughts don't die down. This is really letting go.

If there's one thing I have given up on a long time ago it is trying to reach some sort of "state". Because every time I get to a "state", a "state" where I'm "done", a "state" where I "have a problem", it always changes and shifts. So rather than trying to get a new state, rather than trying to get rid of a new state, I'm trying to stop channeling "bad energy" and trying to only circulate good kinds.

Psilocybin is an extremely valuable tool as to learning how to let go. The experience, the ego death, union with the universal consciousness; the Tao, it is really all quite amazing.

You need to work on dissolving your ego, this is the root of your problem. It is your ego that does not want to 'let go', your spirit is doing everything it can to!

More meditation.

Yeah, the ego is a problem, and I've definitely learned a lot about how the ego can function.

Not really looking to get into drugs though :lol: Someone linked to an article about some doctor using psilocybin and describing some experience he had, and it reminded me of a lucid dream I had a while ago. Scary as heck :lol: Ego's definitely the problem but I dunno if I can handle the full ego death quite yet :lol:

So rather than trying to get a new state, rather than trying to get rid of a new state, I'm trying to stop channeling "bad energy" and trying to only circulate good kinds.

You're trying, which is the opposite of letting go.

You're trying, which is the opposite of letting go.

I see what you did there :lol:

A quotation I really like is something Bruce Lee said, which gets to the heart of what I'm trying (or not trying :P) to do:

"Before I studied martial arts, a punch was just a punch, and a kick was just a kick. After I had learned martial arts, a punch wasn't just a punch, and a kick wasn't just a kick. After I had mastered martial arts, a punch was just a punch, and a kick was just a kick."

I'm trying to return (or, not trying :P) to a more natural state (or should I say "process"? Damn you English language!!! :P) the place where I was before all of this, yet with the knowledge and experience I still have. A more refined me, a purer me that's been distilled through the process.

The problem is that you're already there, and when you try to get back there, you're just adding more to what's already there, so it seems as if it's not there.

Enough philosophical talk for me. :ninja::P

EDIT...

For a suggestion about what to do, I say just practice! Your practices should help you let go.

Edited by Scotty

The problem is that you're already there, and when you try to get back there, you're just adding more to what's already there, so it seems as if it's not there.

Enough philosophical talk for me. :ninja::P

:wacko: That's something to meditate over I think. Thanks Scotty.

Mark Cunningham, in his DVD recording "Thoughtcrimes: Marknosis in Taos" says something like, most people are trying to get rid of that nagging little voice inside their heads, but I want you to use every resource available, and use that little voice." He then lays down some techniques to reprogram that little voice to a tool that can help you.

NLP and hypnosis might not be your bag, but thats how I did it a few years ago. Another good source of recordings is John Wingert.

If you feel you are down on your back and already getting counted out, then a few isolated pieces of knowlege or techniques will not be enough. Back in the day I blitzed myself with NLP style stuff (Robbins, Wingert, Cunningham, Chris Howard,Tracey, James, Bandler, Erickson, Shelle Rose Charvet) and also Buddist youtube recordings, anything Dalai Lama, Alan Watts...the list goes on.

The mind blitz technique works to reprogram your thought patterns. Letting go is something else. I have not been able to "Just" let go either, I feel that is just a kind of new-agey buzzword that they dont quite understand--but energetic practises like Kunlun has made it progressively easier, getting rid of the junk. It is a process, letting go and feeling qi washing through my entire body is different from a non-cultivator just laying down in the grass enjoying the moment.

Mark Cunningham, in his DVD recording "Thoughtcrimes: Marknosis in Taos" says something like, most people are trying to get rid of that nagging little voice inside their heads, but I want you to use every resource available, and use that little voice." He then lays down some techniques to reprogram that little voice to a tool that can help you.

NLP and hypnosis might not be your bag, but thats how I did it a few years ago. Another good source of recordings is John Wingert.

If you feel you are down on your back and already getting counted out, then a few isolated pieces of knowlege or techniques will not be enough. Back in the day I blitzed myself with NLP style stuff (Robbins, Wingert, Cunningham, Chris Howard,Tracey, James, Bandler, Erickson, Shelle Rose Charvet) and also Buddist youtube recordings, anything Dalai Lama, Alan Watts...the list goes on.

The mind blitz technique works to reprogram your thought patterns. Letting go is something else. I have not been able to "Just" let go either, I feel that is just a kind of new-agey buzzword that they dont quite understand--but energetic practises like Kunlun has made it progressively easier, getting rid of the junk. It is a process, letting go and feeling qi washing through my entire body is different from a non-cultivator just laying down in the grass enjoying the moment.

Yeah, I don't know about all the techniques, thanks for the recommendation though.

I do agree though, that "letting go" is a whole lot more than just the new-agey buzzword that everyone just keeps using.

I'm not sure that the thoughts ever go away. What I'm learning is to catch myself quickly, acknowledge the thoughts and then get back to where ever it was before the thoughts crept in. I imagine my thoughts in a bubble that rises up and bursts into nothing. I've found adding more stillness based practices into my routine have helped. Totally understand how thoughts getting out of control can hurt a life; been there.

Sign in to follow this