Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

How to be a Taoist

I like it, very similar to what Master CK Chu told me in an email, meditate and read the Tao Te Ching.

Thats all its take to become a Taoist.

Daniel

You may all disagree (which is just right) but I don't think this is the way. How will we find Tao by following instructions? I think it is a bit different. Accepting teaching because some "wise man" thinks in such a way, or because you're supposed to accept it, or you desire to be in such and such a group cannot be the way. We need to discover it for ourselves. If we read an idea, consider it, and through experience come to realize its truth then we have discovered it for ourselves. This is merely a quicker way than waiting to chance upon all things alone. Therefore I say that following meditation instructions will not make one a Taoist, nor will setting aside half an hour for Lao Tzu everyday! In a subtle difficult to express way, we know to ourselves whether we are on the way with what has come to be known as "Tao."

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name. We can see it right here! I read these words when I was younger, and they meant nothing to me at all. But when we met again I was amazed because I had learned for myself-- not learned what Taoism is, but felt the presence behind the name people give it.

Or so I think ^__6. Some days are better than others heh.

Edited by Iyoiyo

Philosophical Taoism may be a good start, but merely learning about is a world of difference from actually doing it. That's where the actual alchemical texts come in...but which are largely ignored in pop Taoism here.

It's like reading restaurant reviews vs getting some recipes and actually cooking something up yourself.

One is largely mental masturbation, the other is something tangible.

Edited by vortex

Well maybe I should take this more seriously...

And agree with ya Vortex -

If we are searching to be living harmoniously it is only in the doing that harmony may be experienced...That is where the striving ends and the ability to do nothing but "go with the flow" - (wu wei), whatever "being in the zone" indicates. I'd guess that when these attributes of just being and the consciousness of that sense of extra-ordinary being; may merge and become maybe more habitual than extraordinary...

yr getting near yr own Tao as it were...or is it that-

Being (seemingly) a more natural part of the moment that is all of life all around us - changing and growing as all life does, wisdom being acrued by each life form; & this knowledge adds to the collective consciousness... becoming richer & richer in content and self awareness- whatever it is that indicates an awareness of the Tao, that which is so impossible to grok...& anti-thetical to explain - which is what this thread is all about!!!

or maybe-

being the best you that you can be that makes you a Taoist...Thats my 2 cents worth of nut-shell!

If we are searching to be living harmoniously it is only in the doing that harmony may be experienced...That is where the striving ends and the ability to do nothing but "go with the flow" - (wu wei), whatever "being in the zone" indicates. I'd guess that when these attributes of just being and the consciousness of that sense of extra-ordinary being; may merge and become maybe more habitual than extraordinary...

yr getting near yr own Tao as it were...or is it that-

Being (seemingly) a more natural part of the moment that is all of life all around us - changing and growing as all life does, wisdom being acrued by each life form; & this knowledge adds to the collective consciousness... becoming richer & richer in content and self awareness- whatever it is that indicates an awareness of the Tao, that which is so impossible to grok...& anti-thetical to explain - which is what this thread is all about!!!

or maybe-

being the best you that you can be that makes you a Taoist...Thats my 2 cents worth of nut-shell!

well said!

:rolleyes:

Dont follow anything is being a Taoist, everything changes..... :rolleyes: When you try you have lost it!!!

spirit ape - got to like that.

had a teacher one time said 'bear no arms, espouse no political cause.'. conversations with that guy were

good every time. and it was effortless.

You may all disagree (which is just right) but I don't think this is the way. How will we find Tao by following instructions? I think it is a bit different. Accepting teaching because some "wise man" thinks in such a way, or because you're supposed to accept it, or you desire to be in such and such a group cannot be the way. We need to discover it for ourselves. If we read an idea, consider it, and through experience come to realize its truth then we have discovered it for ourselves. This is merely a quicker way than waiting to chance upon all things alone. Therefore I say that following meditation instructions will not make one a Taoist, nor will setting aside half an hour for Lao Tzu everyday! In a subtle difficult to express way, we know to ourselves whether we are on the way with what has come to be known as "Tao."

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name. We can see it right here! I read these words when I was younger, and they meant nothing to me at all. But when we met again I was amazed because I had learned for myself-- not learned what Taoism is, but felt the presence behind the name people give it.

Or so I think ^__6. Some days are better than others heh.

Well said.

How will we find Tao by following instructions?

Roads have sign posts ... until we fine tune our inner GPS we must follow the sign posts.

:D

How to be a Taoist? Follow your own path and enjoy the journey.

Sign in to follow this