Eviander

Books on Buddhism

Just was wondering what some good books where for beginners in buddhism. I have read some of a tibetan dream yoga book, but other than that I have no solid grasp in the foundations of mindfullness, meditation, ect, ect.

Also I have not decided what school I am going to practice (therevada, mahayana, or vajrayana). So I would like some recomendations to some books which cover there differences (or summaries from those with knowledge)

Edited by Eviander

Just was wondering what some good books where for beginners in buddhism. I have read some of a tibetan dream yoga book, but other than that I have no solid grasp in the foundations of mindfullness, meditation, ect, ect.

Also I have not decided what school I am going to practice (therevada, mahayana, or vajrayana). So I would like some recomendations to some books which cover there differences (or summaries from those with knowledge)

Greetings -

One needn't be too concerned in the beginning with a formal commitment to a specific practice. Both Buddhism and you(!) are such vast subjects that they deserve their own organic approach.

Buddhism can be studied as a means to a spiritual path and as an academic subject, and the two modes can never be truly separated. If meditation instruction is what you seek, "Meditation for Beginners" by Jack Kornfield is terrific. "The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology," by the same author digs into the dynamics of the practice, and is generally regarded as a masterpiece for scholars and beginners alike.

"Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path" by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana is another amazingly approachable work for beginners eager to begin the journey of mindful navigation.

"Money Sex War Karma" by David Loy offers a valuable peak into Buddhist social theory. And "Buddhism Without Beliefs" by Stephen Batchelor is an introduction to what the Buddha taught before his agnostic teachings started appearing in various metaphysical trappings as the centuries wore on.

I hope this helps.

There is only one book of Buddhism i recommend, if you can find it:

Hsi Yu Chi : A mission to Heaven. A great Chinese epic and allegory by Ch'iu Ch'ang Ch'un. Transl. by Timothy Richard. [illustr.] 1913 Shanghai

http://www.amazon.com/mission-heaven-great-Chinese-allegory/dp/B00086D7F6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271497945&sr=1-2

Is the only Classic of Buddism that i like so much.

Regards

If you're looking for a good introductory overview of Buddhism that includes the basic history and various approaches to practice, I would recommend this one:

Buddhism: A Way of Life and Thought by Nancy Wilson Ross

I agree that the books by Bhante G recommended above are excellent.

A couple of others that had a big impact on me were:

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

Three Pillars of Zen: Teaching Practice Enlightenment by Philip Kapleau

Good luck with your research. I hope that you find a practice that works for you.

I and my friend 'Thusness' discovered a book that so far I think is one of the clearest and most insightful books on Buddhism, called 'Buddhism Is Not What You Think' by Zen teacher Steve Hagen. It provides great insights on Buddhism and Zen.

However this is not exactly a very beginners oriented book (neither is it only for advanced practitioners and I think it will be beneficial to 'beginners' as well), but there is another book by Steve called 'Buddhism Plain and Simple' which is very popular as an introductory book to Buddhism. I have collected three books by Steve which I think are all very good. I have written a short review about 'Buddhism Is Not What You Think' in http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2010/04/buddhism-is-not-what-you-think.html

Amazon link to Steve Hagen's books: http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Hagen/e/B001ILMDIW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Another book that I think is very good is Mastering The Core Teachings of the Buddha ( http://www.interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml ) - very hardcore Vipassana meditation guide. Not exactly beginner's oriented though, so you may want to keep that for your later reading. Bhante G's Mindfulness in Plain English is more beginner oriented Vipassana guide.

Edited by xabir2005

regardless of what school of buddhism you chose to follow(or in the case of some western practitioners,trying to follow them all)i think a good overview of buddhism is"old paths,white clouds"by tich naht hahn.then go deeper into the philosophy if you feel the need to do so.there are quite a few good books out there(and alot of garbadge),so be careful.alot of the current writings on zen are misleading concerning zen,and taoism.

i have several books i use for reference,and a few more i would like to get someday.i wish you well on your journey.

A mega free books on Buddhism - as well as free DVDs can be found at this address:

The owner's name is Joan - just tell her you heard of it from a guy on a bicycle that had a beard - send her enough cash to pay for the postage.

China Bazaar in Honolulu, Hawaii (HI)

Name: China Bazaar

Street: 650 Iwilei Rd, #109

Postal address: 96817- 5318 Honolulu, HI

Phone: (808) 538-0422

My favorite is: "Heart of a Buddha" - Doctors, Psycologists hospitals, drug clinics etc go to her for the free books. She also sells real Chinese Antiques.

Here is the introduction page on Buddhism:

http://www.amtbweb.org/tchet117.htm

Quote of the day: (changes each day)

http://www.amtbweb.org/tchquote.php

Where to get the free books:

Mailing address:

China Bazaar in Honolulu, Hawaii (HI)

Name: China Bazaar

Street: 650 Iwilei Rd, #109

Postal address: 96817- 5318 Honolulu, HI

Phone: (808) 538-0422