Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

I decided to go on a 100 day spending fast

Recently I've really gotten into frugality. What does this have to do with spirituality, you might ask? Well, it isn't spiritual to spend money on things you don't need, or to have nothing saved for retirement when you are 70 years old and can't--or don't want to--work anymore. On my 33 birthday back in February, the realization that I will be 43 before I know it hit me really hard...it was sort of a wake up call.

So...I've recently come across the idea of a "spending fast" where you don't spend any money on anything except absolute necessities. Starting tomorrow, I will embark on a 100 day span where anything non-essential is cut out. Hopefully this ordeal will help me reconsider what I really need vs. what I merely want, and help me reorder my priorities in life. I downloaded a 100-day gong sheet, but set a rule that if I slip up even one day, I start the whole thing over again. So wish me luck.

Edited by innerspace_cadet

Recently I've really gotten into frugality. What does this have to do with spirituality, you might ask? Well, it isn't spiritual to spend money on things you don't need, or to have nothing saved for retirement when you are 70 years old and can't--or don't want to--work anymore. On my 33 birthday back in February, the realization that I will be 43 before I know it hit me really hard...it was sort of a wake up call.

So...I've recently come across the idea of a "spending fast" where you don't spend any money on anything except absolute necessities. Starting tomorrow, I will embark on a 100 day span where anything non-essential is cut out. Hopefully this ordeal will help me reconsider what I really need vs. what I merely want, and help me reorder my priorities in life. I downloaded a 100-day gong sheet, but set a rule that if I slip up even one day, I start the whole thing over again. So wish me luck.

*Luck*

Hey there Mr Cadet,

Tis a noble mission - wish you every success in this endeavor!

Interesting... thanks for sharing.

You've got me curious: Wonder how much this will this make you reflect on what's really essential to your existence.

Please keep us posted. And, good luck! :D

I held out until 5:00 p.m. today, then bought a soda and some junk food. I think kaizen is the way for me to go instead.

Don't give up, try again and see if you can go for longer :)

I recall Soda is an "issue" for you ..... perhaps try, I won't impulse buy an a soda in a shop instead I'll buy the cheaper ones at the supermarket when I'm there shopping for groceries.

(I have success with, I don't eat chocolate in the daytime ;) )

Don't give up, try again and see if you can go for longer :)

I recall Soda is an "issue" for you ..... perhaps try, I won't impulse buy an a soda in a shop instead I'll buy the cheaper ones at the supermarket when I'm there shopping for groceries.

(I have success with, I don't eat chocolate in the daytime ;) )

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I will try again, maybe push it for a whole day. My spending patterns weren't built in a day, so to speak, so it will take longer for me to undermine them.

Sign in to follow this