Eviander

Dream Yoga

So I have been reading a book regarding the Tibetan practice of dream yoga, or what they call 'clear light dreams' which is equivalent to what western psychologists call lucid dreams. I have been interested in the subject of lucid dreaming for awhile, but with only a few books published on the topic directly, I am having to deal with the religious thinking of Tibetan Buddhists to get a concise understanding of dream yoga by adepts. Aside from the Tibetans, I was wondering if this idea of lucid dreaming has been included in the Taoist, Hindu, or other inclusive spiritual practices besides that of the Tibetan.

Guest C Yu C He Taiji

Hey Scotty,

what do you know about the Kunlun taoist dream practice?

Chrisn

So I have been reading a book regarding the Tibetan practice of dream yoga, or what they call 'clear light dreams' which is equivalent to what western psychologists call lucid dreams. I have been interested in the subject of lucid dreaming for awhile, but with only a few books published on the topic directly, I am having to deal with the religious thinking of Tibetan Buddhists to get a concise understanding of dream yoga by adepts. Aside from the Tibetans, I was wondering if this idea of lucid dreaming has been included in the Taoist, Hindu, or other inclusive spiritual practices besides that of the Tibetan.

Or you could read Merilyn Tunneshende, in one of her books she have some exercises.

Chrisn,

what do you know about the Kunlun taoist dream practice?

It's taught to facilitators, and they can teach it to you if they want...kinda similar to the one in the book, but not the same. I haven't worked at it enough myself, since I'm focusing on other aspects of development.

Peace! :ninja:

ld4all.com is an excellent start to lucid dreaming from a non-religious related perspective. Here and there you see it written about how various cultures had various spiritual interpretations of dreams.

I do a lot of lucid dream stuff. Interesting experiences. If anything it's fun, and I suggest everyone do it.

I do a lot of lucid dream stuff. Interesting experiences. If anything it's fun, and I suggest everyone do it.

Yeah I agree. My techniques is simple, lay on your back, legs straight, arms by your side, relax the mind and body and remain still. If you get the vibes reported by many OBErs just remain calm not to wake up and roll to the side and start doing whatever :lol:

Though how can you know the difference between a lucid dream and an out of body experience or Astral Travel? Or are they all the same?

Yeah I agree. My techniques is simple, lay on your back, legs straight, arms by your side, relax the mind and body and remain still. If you get the vibes reported by many OBErs just remain calm not to wake up and roll to the side and start doing whatever :lol:

Though how can you know the difference between a lucid dream and an out of body experience or Astral Travel? Or are they all the same?

Some spiritual traditions say that the soul leaves the body when asleep, so in that sense dreaming and astral travel are one and the same.

A high level practitioner of Bardon's system said, however, that when the body sleeps the astral body (the part that "astral travels") only really displaced by a few inches. So it's not astral travel in the true sense, but it's not like nothing happens.

But in a certain sense it also depends on your paradigm. For instances, B.K. Frantzis describes the subtle energy bodies as bodies that become more subtle (you have to go deeper to feel them), but also more expansive. So the qi body is within you but also extends out of you. A "dream world" that mostly consists of your thoughts and emotions would be within you, but to a certain extent be outside of you as well. Any "astral travel" would technically originate from inside you as well- but since those bodies are also significantly more expansive, you could think of it as "traveling", even though from a "meditative" viewpoint you are really just going "deeper and deeper", rather than a more "up and out" sort of direction.

But that's just my take. I experiment a lot with lucid dreams, not so much with OBE's, and in fact, I actively try to avoid OBE topics, mostly because I want to do it as fresh as possible. If it really is possible to have a legitimate out of body experience, I shouldn't have to read about it BEFORE it happening to get all the experiences. I should be able to research about it AFTER it and find out about it.

That's a bit of a tangent though...

Some spiritual traditions say that the soul leaves the body when asleep, so in that sense dreaming and astral travel are one and the same.

A high level practitioner of Bardon's system said, however, that when the body sleeps the astral body (the part that "astral travels") only really displaced by a few inches. So it's not astral travel in the true sense, but it's not like nothing happens.

But in a certain sense it also depends on your paradigm. For instances, B.K. Frantzis describes the subtle energy bodies as bodies that become more subtle (you have to go deeper to feel them), but also more expansive. So the qi body is within you but also extends out of you. A "dream world" that mostly consists of your thoughts and emotions would be within you, but to a certain extent be outside of you as well. Any "astral travel" would technically originate from inside you as well- but since those bodies are also significantly more expansive, you could think of it as "traveling", even though from a "meditative" viewpoint you are really just going "deeper and deeper", rather than a more "up and out" sort of direction.

But that's just my take. I experiment a lot with lucid dreams, not so much with OBE's, and in fact, I actively try to avoid OBE topics, mostly because I want to do it as fresh as possible. If it really is possible to have a legitimate out of body experience, I shouldn't have to read about it BEFORE it happening to get all the experiences. I should be able to research about it AFTER it and find out about it.

That's a bit of a tangent though...

Just so I'm sure you mean Bardon from the Frabato and hermetics books right?

And thanks for the info, it would be great if we had a definitive paradigm to work with though :lol:

Well I wont tell you about what I've done yet then concerning OBEs :lol: All I'll say is that its been fun and interesting, but I have yet to validate them as something real to me, and these days I haven't to time and stuff to do them. The method I mentioned above is the one that works best for me, and it was much easier if I did them in the evening and not at my usual bed time, and keep your emotions in check, too much excitement will wake you.

When you do get it done, drop me a pm :)

On another note, does anyone here know of an Indian Goddess or Deity or whatever who wears a Golden Mask?

Just so I'm sure you mean Bardon from the Frabato and hermetics books right?

Yes, Franz Bardon.

There are two people on this website, one with the username Prophecy and the other one Veos, that are reportedly quite advanced in Bardon's system, as well as yoga, and they have some rather interesting insights.

William Mistele has a good website here.

And thanks for the info, it would be great if we had a definitive paradigm to work with though :lol:

Yeah, everyone sees the same thing through a different lens :P

Well I wont tell you about what I've done yet then concerning OBEs :lol: All I'll say is that its been fun and interesting, but I have yet to validate them as something real to me, and these days I haven't to time and stuff to do them. The method I mentioned above is the one that works best for me, and it was much easier if I did them in the evening and not at my usual bed time, and keep your emotions in check, too much excitement will wake you.

When you do get it done, drop me a pm :)

Sure thing.

I think you may find something abouth dreaming practise in the book

The Six Yogas of Naropa: Tsongkhapa's Commentary by Glenn H. Mullin

:)

Yes, Franz Bardon.

There are two people on this website, one with the username Prophecy and the other one Veos, that are reportedly quite advanced in Bardon's system, as well as yoga, and they have some rather interesting insights.

Isn't Franz Bardons system the Rosicrucian system?

Isn't Franz Bardons system the Rosicrucian system?

I'm not familiar with the Rosicrucian system enough to comment.

Bardon's system has a lot of parallels with a lot of other systems, uses the same terminology, and in some places even the same techniques. There's some controversy surrounding Bardon, whether he was who he said he is, whether he just took from other people and compiled it, or whether it was really all him.

But his system is one of the most complete systems that I have ever seen, and it has been completely laid out, start to finish.